Gregg Straley's Reality Cables

*Scotty*

Re: Gregg Straley's Reality Cables
« Reply #20 on: 1 Mar 2008, 11:41 pm »
mfsoa, unless these are already gone there are some SC's for sale on Agon  see link
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablspkr&1209002542
Scotty

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 2 Mar 2008, 03:02 am »
PS - Lonewolf - My son Dan wants to say what's up - Here goes:   "What's up, and good luck on the quest for 10K!  :wink:"
Hey Dan ....thanks.... :thumb:....everything is cool. 8)

And Mike....warm up your drumsticks for the Summer Rave.... :drums:

reflex

• Look & Listen Mobile, Alabama
« Reply #22 on: 2 Mar 2008, 03:37 am »
PS - Lonewolf - My son Dan wants to say what's up - Here goes:   "What's up, and good luck on the quest for 10K!  :wink:"

Hey....is this a thread hijacking goin' on?  :wink:

ya need a guitarist?   aa

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #23 on: 2 Mar 2008, 03:42 am »

Hey....is this a thread hijacking goin' on?  :wink:

ya need a guitarist?   aa

Hi Jack....how's things.... :lol:

No hijack....how could I....I own Greg's cables as well.... :wink:

kyrill

« Reply #24 on: 27 Apr 2008, 11:25 am »
thx guys

posts like this give me the "courage" to make a decision and i ordered a Reality SC.
90% of the good stuff cannot be heard in Holland so i have to buy without the chance of listening first.
As i use DEQX pdc 2.6 i have an active 3way system and  cables as "tuning devices" becomes more complex
i search for the better sounding IC and LS cables for high, mid and low.

I now in house have the KC cable ( copper) Tuans IC, Black mountain IC, Oehlbach silver IC ( German high end brand, sounds very good) Speltz LS, Audioart SC-5 LS, a new braided LS form Chris Venhaus ( very 3D) and the Reality Cable ( not in house yet)
In due time i will post my findings

reflex

• Look & Listen Mobile, Alabama
« Reply #25 on: 27 Apr 2008, 01:06 pm »
I have a number of IC's as well and Gregg's are what feeds my cdp to my preamp.  Very neutral sounding with a more dimensional presentation. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #26 on: 27 Apr 2008, 02:45 pm »
I haven't tried Gregg's IC's yet but his SC's are a tremendous bargain, a value statement that has no speaker cable peers IMO.  As I stated in my review (over on the SP Tech forum) they were only surpassed, and then only slightly, by a cable that lists for 10x the cost!! 

And I agree wholeheartedly with the idea that we can and will use cables (and tubes) as tone controls.  I love the idea of tone controls, and wish my incredible Modwright LS36.5 dual mono had them (....but it has too much else going for it to take a step back into pres that have them, even the mega-buck Macs). 

Interested in these "tube versions" of IC's that are being discussed. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #27 on: 27 Apr 2008, 04:58 pm »
I now in house have the KC cable ( copper) Tuans IC, Black mountain IC, Oehlbach silver IC ( German high end brand, sounds very good) Speltz LS, Audioart SC-5 LS, a new braided LS form Chris Venhaus ( very 3D) and the Reality Cable ( not in house yet)

I will surely be interested in your comparison of the KC cable, Speltz, Audioart and Reality cable for sure. They are priced very closely.

Best,
Anand.

kbuzz3

« Reply #28 on: 3 Jun 2008, 03:45 am »

I will surely be interested in your comparison of the KC cable, Speltz, Audioart and Reality cable for sure. They are priced very closely.

Best,
Anand.

any update on comparisons of the reality to the kci cables

groovybassist

« Reply #29 on: 3 Jun 2008, 05:30 am »
I just got a pair of Gregg's speaker cables and have started burning them in on my system (Naim CD5i, Nait 5i and SP Tech Timepiece Minis).  It'll probably take a couple of weeks to get a full read on them - I'll report back once I feel like I've got a good handle on them vs. my previous wires (River Cable Flexygy 6).

-Mike

low.pfile

« Reply #30 on: 3 Jun 2008, 07:07 am »
Also just got a pair of SC's. Will be comparing the Reality's to Speltz AntiCable SC's via RWA 30.2 amp/Modwright pre and Devore S8's

kyrill

« Reply #31 on: 3 Jun 2008, 07:53 am »
any update on comparisons of the reality to the kci cables?

No not yet  :cry:
I am still waiting for my DEQX to return from the factory
my HT NAD  T751 receiver i use now in the mean time,  has not a  dac high end enough to compare these cables
The modded DEQX DAC has.
I also still wait for my "high end" 5V +3.3V SB3 pws

but as it is now i choose for Greg Reality cables..
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2008, 08:48 pm by kyrill »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #32 on: 3 Jun 2008, 11:27 am »
Gregg is making a 4.5 meter set of balanced cables and I will compare to my Moon Audio Red Dragon silver ic's soon.  Looking forward to the new cables.

groovybassist

« Reply #33 on: 12 Jun 2008, 03:41 pm »
I've probably got 30 hours on the speaker cables I ordered from Gregg.  All I can say is I'm hooked.  They convey lots of detail, but in an organic, unforced manner.  Separation of instruments is better than what I was using and instruments seem to occupy their own space in a more natural way.  Given what some high-end cables cost these days, I think Gregg's got a great product for a very reasonable amount of money.  Just for information purposes, mine are the standard, pink licorice color - no white or black jacket.  I don't find the color offensive at all.  Enjoy!

-Mike

kbuzz3

« Reply #34 on: 12 Jun 2008, 04:46 pm »
Yes, i tried quite a few SC before keeping Gregg's.  I love the organic presentation.  Mates very very well my omega speakers

low.pfile

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jun 2008, 05:04 am »
Here is my review

Speaker Cable Showdown: Greg Straley Reality Cables compared with Paul Speltz Anti-Cables, 06/14/08

I've had my Speltz Anti-Cables for almost 2 years now. They where the first cables I used in my combo AV system (Denon and Tetra). I really didn't want for anything more with that set up. My recent upgrade in amp, pre-amp and speakers provided me with a system with more resolution, so I was curious about optimizing cabling to eek out that last bit. It is suggested by most to pair the Devore's with Auditorium 23 cables. Though I just can't justify the just shy of $1k price. I have not used any other speaker cables in this system.

The Reality Cables were highly recommended, were reasonably priced and had a trial period (though at 20 days a bit shorter than most others). Greg and I conversed for a bit and then he provided me with a pair of 8 footers with cotton covering.

Just before I switched out the cables I gave a listen to one song with the already connected Anti-Cables. Then I listened to the same song with the Reality's in place. Major Revelation? Not really. First impression was that the A-Cs seemed to be tighter in the bass. I've had the Reality's in the system for over 2 weeks. They already had time on them prior to my ownership. 

Today I had a showdown.

I created a playlist of familiar songs each with a specific attribute. I played the playlist (below) once with each cable. I took notes of specific sounds and time. Then from them I selected three songs that I thought I noticed something different (with **). Then I played these songs probably 3 times with each cable-I lost count.

At first it I thought it was fairly close. I was listening for the normal musical elements, but focused on realism of the kick drum, guitar string resonance, and bass extension. It was The Warning by Hot Chip which starts with a few seconds of light bells then fast synth drum is added it that opened my ears. With the Reality's I could swear there was someone standing on top of my right speaker with a bar of small shiny glass bells. Wow. The sound on the A-Cs was clear and nice but the illusion was not there.

I give the A-Cs a very high mark, at less than one-third of the cost of the Reality's, I think they will outperform most at their price point. And the A-C's provide 70-80% of the sound of Reality cables. The A-Cs are neutral, fast, and balanced.

Areas were I found both cables essentially equal:
-Sound stage width and height
-Clear imaging
-No harshness in the treble

What the Reality's seem to do keep with the music. While the A-Cs will drop the note quickly (fast) the Reality's seem to hold on to it longer. That makes it sound more fluid, less rigid. Not mushy but natural. And they effortlessly reach the high frequencies (i.e. glass bells above). Down low I have to get used to not having the tight and a bit shallow bass of the A-Cs. I think the music had more bass just that less was getting to the speaker with the ACs. Based on my comparison session, the bass from the Reality's seems exaggerated - though not flabby at all. Both cables allowed the speakers to get to the upper 20s (granted it was -10dBs or so). It does matter to me as the modern electronica, R&B and rock music I listen to does have bass down there.

What I enjoy about the Reality Speaker Cables:
The amount of detail is great. The naturalness of the sound makes listening  a pleasure. They are well rounded.

Things that are a challenge: The cable bend radius. These guys are stiff and tough to get in small spots probably OK to bend a tight but it will stay that way.

I am keeping the Reality Speaker cables for now.

NOTES:

Equipment/Set up:
I used my Mac source with a Brick DAC, RWA 30.2 amp, Modwright Pre and Devore Super8s. More specific system details are available in my signature below. SPL Meter was used to set level to 80db. No difference in output level of each cable. Both set of cables routed over the nest of cables behind my components, including next to power. (see pics) Surprisingly neither exhibit any noise. None.

Pricing:
Anti-Cable speaker cable (8 ft. pair) $85 shipped
Reality speaker cable (8 ft. pair) $275 shipped (add $50 for cotton covering)

Music  Playlist used for comparison:
Ice - Sarah McLachlan **
Nightingale - Nora Jones
Gold to Me - Ben Harper
Duke's Place - Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington
Never Win - Fischerspooner
The Warning - Hot Chip ** song link (starting at 0:23 sec)
Behind The Wall - Tracy Chapman
I Used To Love Him - Lauryn Hill
Sombre Detune - Royksopp
Free Radicals - The Flaming Lips
Revolver - Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan **
Dream On - Depeche Mode

** Songs used for further comparison

------
pics

kyrill

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jun 2008, 08:40 am »
well i am glad yr low profile :wink: did  not keep you from standing in the highlight providing a fine
review/comparison of the Speltz and Gregg cables

thx for posting

PS i saw yr pictures and with the Gregg cables i see you have cable ends with the white heatshrink 
(keeping the cotton sleeve end to the cables) at the speaker terminals

The white heatschrink on the Reality cables I have, have on this white  a red arrow indicating the direction of the signals and so i have to connect this side of the cables to the AMP and not to the speakers.

Are you sure the cables are directional connected to yr speakers/amp in the right way?

I noticed a discernible negative difference when connected the wrong way

low.pfile

« Reply #37 on: 15 Jun 2008, 01:12 pm »
PS i saw yr pictures and with the Gregg cables i see you have cable ends with the white heatshrink 
(keeping the cotton sleeve end to the cables) at the speaker terminals

The white heatschrink on the Reality cables I have, have on this white  a red arrow indicating the direction of the signals and so i have to connect this side of the cables to the AMP and not to the speakers.

Are you sure the cables are directional connected to yr speakers/amp in the right way?

Thanks for the comments and heads up kyrill. You are right the Reality's are directional. Gregg's mail to me said this: "  When you receive them you will see near each end a white piece of heat shrink tubing. On one end you will see an arrow with Reality Cables on it. That is the end that attaches to your amp. The other end goes to the speakers."

You can see in the photo in my Gallery that the printed side is at that amp. The heatshrink at the speaker side does not have printing.

cheers
ed

kyrill

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jun 2008, 01:57 pm »
Ah Ok

I only have one white end as i did nog choose for the cotton oversleeving
lol, did not looked at yr amp photo
Enjoy the cables as much as I do ;) , have Speltz too for my HT

kbuzz3

« Reply #39 on: 17 Jun 2008, 02:32 am »
I took a look at my reality sc today while moving some stuff around. My set has a white tube with an gold arrow on one end and a black tube on the other.  If i am reading this right, the white end with the arrow goes to the amp? I seem to have one reversed and not sure which is the rec'd direction.