Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

GregC

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #920 on: 20 Feb 2012, 09:35 pm »
Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa at the Rio in Santa Cruz (2/15).  My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the show.  Zappa played some more obscure music and finished off the show with a slamming version of Whipping Post.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #921 on: 22 Feb 2012, 05:38 am »
Great story Laura!

Wish stuff like that would happen around here.

Jeff is looking more than a little scruffy...how did they sound?  How long did they play?

George

Hi George,

I've had something similar happen 3 times now over the last 10 years--Neil Young 2d row of the orchestra pit on the day of the show and Fleetwood Mac 2nd row the day before the show in addition to Wilco. Very cool when it happens.

I thought they sounded very good, really tight and Jeff was very engaging with the audience between songs. No restrictions on pictures but not video recording. Hearing songs from The Whole Love live was really a treat. They sound so much more powerful live. They played for about 2 hrs and 15 minutes. The audience stood for the entire concert with lots of in the aisle dancing.

Laura

targa02

« Reply #922 on: 17 Mar 2012, 05:31 am »
Went to Yoshi's Restaurant in San Francisco with my wife and our neighbors this evening for a wonderful sushi dinner followed by the Dave Grisman Quintet show in the attached jazz club. Truly great evening!

sts9fan

« Reply #923 on: 17 Mar 2012, 01:22 pm »
Saw The New Multitudes last night. It was good not great. It had interesting moments.  I think they need a bass.

stlrman

« Reply #924 on: 17 Mar 2012, 03:31 pm »
Gomez at the tla in Philadelphia
This band always puts on a fantastic show!!! My third time seeing them.
They played a 2 hour show. The first ten songs
The band chooses ,the second set is the top ten songs chosen by the fans on an online poll. Very cool I think!
If you don't know Gomez 's music you should check them out.
They have been around for fifteen years and have many outstanding albums.
Their sound is rock,blues,they do have songs that sound very Beattle esq.
This band can really write outstanding songs.

GregC

« Reply #925 on: 17 Mar 2012, 06:06 pm »
I saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones in Carmel, CA on 3/6 and sat in row 3.  The show was absolutely amazing.

mjosef

Patricia Barber at Jazz Standard
« Reply #926 on: 3 Apr 2012, 02:34 am »
Patricia Barber @ The Jazz Standard April1.
Cozy basement joint with good view of the stage from anywhere.
Arrived 40 minutes early, so past the time with a chopped salad and a glass of shiraz.
When Patricia took the stand she plucked her shoes and socks off and got right into it with her trio, piano, bass and drums. After a couple numbers a guitarist joined the band. I got a little bored halfway through, her vocal mike was too hot and you could hear every sigh. She does make a lot of faces while performing.  :lol:
Overall I felt the concert was just good not great. She tried the usual playing inside the piano (on the strings itself) bit, but she ain't no Matthew Shipp.
Of course I thought her music sounds better on my stereo.  :lol:
Saving face for the night was the presence of Renee Fleming and the Madame President actress from the '24' series, at the table across from mine. Good company.

The club had a strict no photography policy, so no pics.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #927 on: 15 Apr 2012, 03:31 am »
Just got home from Rodrigo y Gabriela ... OUTSTANDING SHOW. Packed house at Royal Oak Music Theater just outside Detroit.

Gabriela's solo was mesmerizing, gave me goosebumps.   :o

decal

« Reply #928 on: 15 Apr 2012, 04:07 pm »
Went to hear Delbert McClinton for the umpteenth time Friday night. I am a huge fan and have been for many years. Delbert's voice is fading and he's not as energetic as he once was but hey, at 72 years old the man still demands respect.

low.pfile

« Reply #929 on: 10 May 2012, 03:30 pm »
Last night I saw Death Cab For Cutie at the wonderful Fox Theater Oakland.

They played with a string octet (+1 multi-instrumentalist) called Magik Magik Orchestra, and John Vanderslice. It's always cool to hear a different version of the song from the album.

They sound was great. It's great when you don't need earplugs at an amplified show! The sound was almost Austin City Limits quality, but not quite. Very enjoyable night.

iphone shot of DCFC.

weitrhino

« Reply #930 on: 10 May 2012, 04:34 pm »
I'm in countdown mode.  I'll see The Aristocrats in Louisville and Indianapolis next week.  Three bonafide virtuosos together; Marco Minnemann, Bryan Beller, Guthrie Govan.  I can hardly wait!  :D

airhead

« Reply #931 on: 10 May 2012, 04:38 pm »
Diane Reeves.  Enough said.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #932 on: 10 May 2012, 05:03 pm »
Saw Cowboy Junkies at the small informal Kent Stage (600 seat old movie theater) last week.  Great show.  Margo, as always, very self-deprecating.  They played the "new" Nomad stuff (from all 4 Nomad Series cd's delivered over the past 18 months) for the first set, then came back and played the classics in the 2nd set.  As usual, Margo stuck around for Q&A and just some good ole friendly conversation after the show.  Great stuff!

WGH

« Reply #933 on: 10 May 2012, 09:00 pm »
Michael McDonald at the usually excellent sounding Fox Theater last Saturday. In a nutshell - don't waste your money. I got the impression he travels with his personal sound-man, if he does then every show will sound the same: too loud with muddy unintelligible vocals overpowered by the band. McDonald's range is shot so he compensated by singing real loud trying for emotion instead. He rewrote some Doobie Brothers songs and if he didn't announce the songs title they would be unrecognizable. White man soul is OK but every single song sounded the same, this was one of the most boring concerts I have ever been at.

My friend loves Michael McDonald which is why we went. She saw him 8 years ago and loved him. Now she wishes she never went to this last show, she agrees the performance was terrible. We hoped he would get better when he warmed up, it didn't happen.

The show completely jaded me. I don't know if I want to see any geezer rock performers again, which is sad because Crosby, Stills, and Nash are coming to town.

Wayne

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #934 on: 10 May 2012, 09:21 pm »
Yeah, I LOVE Donald Fagen but he is touring (Cleveland middle of August) with Michael McDonald and Boz Scaggs as the Dukes of September.  They don't even do much of their own material!!  I'm hesitant.  His solo show 4 yrs ago at one of Cleveland's best older theaters was excellent; beyond expectations.  But youtube videos of this geezer-super-group has me wondering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnn6wqNDJTo

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #935 on: 10 May 2012, 10:57 pm »
Yeah, I LOVE Donald Fagen but he is touring (Cleveland middle of August) with Michael McDonald and Boz Scaggs as the Dukes of September.  They don't even do much of their own material!!  I'm hesitant.  His solo show 4 yrs ago at one of Cleveland's best older theaters was excellent; beyond expectations.  But youtube videos of this geezer-super-group has me wondering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnn6wqNDJTo

Donald Fagen is done.

I saw Steely Dan last year and even sitting in the first few rows his voice was weak and couldn't close to hitting the higher notes.  The background singers clearly overshadowed him and highlighted how much he has lost.

Buyer beware...

George

jimdgoulding

« Reply #936 on: 10 May 2012, 11:07 pm »
Paula Cole at an intimate venue.  Girl played straight for nearly two and a half hours and her performance was way beyond my expectations.   I think her voice has actually gotten better.  Bloody excellent is what it was.   

WGH

« Reply #937 on: 10 May 2012, 11:36 pm »
I'll be checking the Ticketmaster concert reviews before seeing another geezer group. The reviews totally echo my experience.
http://reviews.ticketmaster.com/7171/735614/michael-mcdonald-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=rating&dir=asc

"Boz Scaggs was great! Michael McDonald was not. I could not even recognize his voice. And they had the instruments so loud they overpowered his vocals, which may have been intentional. I went home and listened to some of his music, just to remember. Sad."

".... not when the voice of the entertainer has deteriorated so far that half of the performance just becomes painful listening for the audience.
And it showed there were a significant amount of people that left after a while because listening was painful!"

"Went a Boz Skaggs/Michael McDonald concert in the grandstand. I had to keep my fingers in my ears for 2 hours as the sound was so bad and loud. Maybe a Vitamin B-1 deficiency? NO - my girlfriend who has attended 50+ concerts says she has never heard such bad and loud sound. Mike McD is unintelligible and raspy - sounds like he has cancer. Even smooth Boz comes across as strident."

"This concert was the most BORING one I have ever been too!"

"Having seen Donald Fagan and Michael McDonald before, I was excited and looked forward to this concert. They did not deliver, nor did Donald Fagan sing his Steely Dan masterpieces. The sound was horrible and they mostly covered other artists music. It seemed as if this was a test market for them to practice. I left feeling as if I had really wasted an evening."

I have yet to read a good review.

Wayne

stlrman

« Reply #938 on: 22 May 2012, 02:38 am »
 Damien Jurado played pretty much the entire Maraqopa album which sounded even better in concert with extended jams that were puposeful and powerful.
Maraqopa is a concept album of a dream Damien had. If you can the album should be played in its entirety. I think all the songs really hold up on their own as well, but they really flow into a cohesive oneness when played from beginning to end.
Damien sounded fantastic, his voice was strong and very interesting. The band was equally very talented!
Man, I wish my dreams could turn into fantastic album that is Grammy worthy.
A true treat to see him live!!
Please check out the youtube videos and check back to this thread if you are moved and entertained with these fantastic songs.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #939 on: 22 May 2012, 05:42 am »

750 seat theater was packed with some real Lindsey Buckingham fans including yours truly. From the 3d row center--Lindsey Buckingham solo

Lindsey was great, the audience was great and they fed off of each other. A good mix of his solo work and Fleetwood Mac classics. He's headed to the east coast after Memorial Day.