2015 Capital Audio Fest Impressions

DTB300

2015 Capital Audio Fest Impressions
« on: 1 Sep 2015, 01:46 pm »
One must remember these are hotel rooms and with only a day or so to get setup, it is remarkable the quality of sound vendors get to begin with.

There were many good sounding rigs/rooms, but these are the rooms I visited repeatedly...

Vinnie Rossi Modular Integrated & Harbeth's - each year Vinnie has super sound
CommandAV NEAT Speakers - Excellent sound from both small and large models
Odessey - Klaus's room - Ingenious setup for a large room to produce outstanding sound
Viva-HiFi & Modwright (new Amp) - Scott is great and the new Modwright amp sounded really good
Quad Room - Kent's Rebuild/Mods - Excellent host, great music
Backert, ML & Odessey Mono's - The ML's sounded great in this setup
Border Patrol & Living Voice - Border Patrol always sounds good, too rich for moi
OB Subs & BG-Radia - Great bass in a small room - Charles and ?? are always great hosts
GTA 2.5's - The new version sounds excellent and I liked the multi-wood trim on the 2.5's
Tidal Room - Smaller model Tidal speakers Room (cannot remember name now)
VPI Room - Amazing amount of HW in this room and every VPI Employee there too - impressive showing by a vendor

While Triode Wire Labs wire was used in many rooms, Pete was everywhere serving up cold beverages (as usual) - Thanks again Pete!!!!

Everyone one of these rooms had GREAT hosts and played a variety of great music (no audiophile crap).

And if you developed some excess wax buildup in your ears, there were a couple rooms glad to BLAST that wax away. We won't mention them.
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2015, 09:08 pm by DTB300 »

Backert Labs

• Industry Participant
Re: 2015 Capital Audio Fest Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2015, 02:28 pm »
Thanks for the kind words!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2015, 03:01 pm »
  I will second that on the kind words, we were real proud of our room this year with servo OB subs and BG Radia.

charles

DTB300

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2015, 03:24 pm »
Thanks for the kind words!
Welcome and your product and the setup you used deserved it.  Very nice sound From the ML's and being the room was VERY busy most of the time shows how nice the sound was.    The Odyssey Amps were a great match with the Backert Pre.....excellent showing.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2015, 03:24 pm »
Great sounding room.  Very impressed with the preamp.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2015, 08:50 pm »
One must remember these are hotel rooms and with only a day or so to get setup, it is remarkable that quality of sound vendors get to begin with.

There were many good sounding rigs/rooms, but these are the rooms I visited repeatedly...

Odessey - Klaus's room - Ingenious setup for a large room to produce outstanding sound
Viva-HiFi & Modwright (new Amp) - Scott is great and the new Modwright amp sounded really good
Beckart, ML & Odessey Mono's - The ML's sounded great in this setup
Border Patrol & Living Voice - Border Patrol always sounds good, too rich for moi
OB Subs & BG-Radia - Great bass in a small room - Charles and ?? are always great hosts
GTA 2.5's - The new version sounds excellent and I liked the multi-wood trim on the 2.5's
VPI Room - Amazing amount of HW in this room and every VPI Employee there too - impressive showing by a vendor

While Triode Wire Labs wire was used in many rooms, Pete was everywhere serving up cold beverages (as usual) - Thanks again Pete!!!!

Everyone one of these rooms had GREAT hosts and played a variety of great music (no audiophile crap).

And if you developed some excess wax buildup in your ears, there were a couple rooms glad to BLAST that wax away. We won't mention them.

Thank you! I hope everyone enjoyed the cold libations!

We received quite a few accolades in the four rooms (Border Patrol - Living Voice Room 315, Sound Insight (OB Subs & BG-Radia) Room 405, Volti Room 401 and Dave Slagle's Emia Room 419) with TWL cabling... Stereophile's Art Dudley & Herb Reichert were pretty impressed with all 4 rooms as well...

Thanks to CAF organizer Gary Gill for providing a fun, great, hip atmosphere!!!

Cheers,
Pete

GT Audio Works

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2015, 10:08 pm »
One must remember these are hotel rooms and with only a day or so to get setup, it is remarkable the quality of sound vendors get to begin with.

Backert, ML & Odessey Mono's - The ML's sounded great in this setup

Thanks DTB300... good to see you.
Greg

Scottdazzle

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2015, 01:58 pm »
DTB, thank you for the nice mention.  Yes, the new ModWright tube amp is wonderful. I want one!

DTB300

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2015, 04:32 pm »
Scott, your welcome, and your room with the new Modwright amp deserved the acknowledgment.   

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2015, 05:12 pm »
Any pic thread on the Circle?  Any good reports?  A web search provided little.  Thanks.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 2 Sep 2015, 05:15 pm »
There's pics on the Modwright, Oddysey and HAL threads as well as the attendance thread. I still have more I should probably post on the attendance thread (Mid Atlantic Audio Circle).