Selling my Ellis Audio 1801b's [sold]

meckanik

Selling my Ellis Audio 1801b's [sold]
« on: 20 Feb 2011, 08:01 pm »
[sold]

I am selling my Ellis Audio 1801b's that I actually bought here on AudioCircle. These have been fantastic speakers, I have used them for light music mixing duty in my home studio. I haven't been doing that much work since I bought these - they probably have less than 20 hours of play time on them by me. They were in like-new condition when I received them and still are. Black grills are included but not pictured.

The 1801b's have been powered with a Nelson Audio Pass Labs X150 amp (my dream amp). This system sounds just incredible (I will refrain from spewing superlatives) - they are going to be replaced by an $8K pair of mixing monitors fwiw.

If the amp and speakers are purchased together I will throw in the solid silver speaker cables I built.

I'm asking $1100 for the 1801's. The speakers will be securely packed (I ship music gear all over the world). Shipping, insurance and PP fees are the responsibility of the buyer. Paypal and US Postal money orders are accepted.

I have nearly 300 100% positive feedback on eBay (as thegodsmith). I am a honest seller and take great care of my gear. Please email with questions.

Thanks,
Jeff

« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2011, 09:19 pm by meckanik »

Russell Dawkins

Re: Selling my 1801b's
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2011, 09:10 pm »
Just curious as to what the $8k monitors are - Barefoot MM27s?

meckanik

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2011, 09:16 pm »
Just curious as to what the $8k monitors are - Barefoot MM27s?

Right on the money!  8) I've wanted a pair since they came out.

-Jeff

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2011, 03:15 am »
Don't neglect to compare with Klein and Hummel 0410s, if you get the chance. Their retail is very high, but the street price is about the same as MM27s. A friend got a pair new in Canada for $8500.

K+H were bought by Sennheiser about 4 years ago, and the studio monitor speaker line is now being re-badged "Neumann" (while the PA line is being re-named "Sennheiser"), so that is some indication of performance quality. I adore my K+H 0300s, and my friend's 0410s are stunning.

meckanik

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2011, 03:29 am »
Don't neglect to compare with Klein and Hummel 0410s, if you get the chance. Their retail is very high, but the street price is about the same as MM27s. A friend got a pair new in Canada for $8500.

K+H were bought by Sennheiser about 4 years ago, and the studio monitor speaker line is now being re-badged "Neumann" (while the PA line is being re-named "Sennheiser"), so that is some indication of performance quality. I adore my K+H 0300s, and my friend's 0410s are stunning.

I know of the 410's but the prices I've seen (in the US) puts them at just under $10k. I'm also looking at the Focal SM9's.

-Jeff

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2011, 08:26 am »
As I say, it is worth your time to try to get a listen to the 0410s. Their value might even appreciate once they acquire the Neumann name - I don't expect to see the very deep discounts I have seen due to the fact that people in North America don't recognize the K+H name, I guess (no advertising in this market). Neumann is very much recognized, though, and never associated with anything less than top level equipment.

Another speaker to be aware of, though it may not be expensive enough to be taken seriously, is the Trident HG3. It is just about to come to market: http://tinyurl.com/48t2efs

Look at the people endorsing this speaker: http://www.trident-audio.com/hg3.html

Endorsements by people of the caliber of Al Schmitt and Ed Cherney really mean something. These guys actually make great sounding records, and a seriously great mixing/mastering monitor is the most important tool in the studio.

A final point. My K+H 0300s weigh about 30 lb each and are small enough to be an easy one-in-each-hand carry in gig bags if I wanted to take monitoring with me to a remote gig. Barefoots weigh 71 lb each, so this is not so much an option.

meckanik

Re: Selling my Ellis Audio 1801b's
« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2011, 07:22 pm »
Russell, thanks for the info. You're a fellow Gearslutter?  :)

I've also read up on Harvey's HG3's. They look interesting but no word on ETA.

The portability factor is a great point; I know those Barefoots aren't going anywhere once set up and I would like to be able to track on location at some point (my ULN-8 should be great for that). Most likely I'll end up getting a second pair of monitors down the road.

-Jeff

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2011, 08:32 pm »
Yes I'm a gearslutter. What a great site.

You've got a ULN-8? I'm jealous! We should take this off line; it's too OT. I'll PM you.

meckanik

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2011, 06:11 pm »
Back to the top.

Mudslide

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2011, 04:01 pm »
Will you take what you paid for them 4 years ago?   :D

meckanik

Re: Selling my Ellis Audio 1801b's $1100
« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2011, 03:35 pm »
Still available.