Driver size vs perception for same frequency & decibels....

Ultralight

OK, my next question of the day....or perhaps the week.... 8)

When listening to music, I like a sense of scale among other things.  Something large.  This is not volume, but size. Of course, I also like the sense of precise, deep and wide imaging, speed etc.  (Yes, I am admittedly greedy to have it.... :thumb:)

When listening to speakers, it seems that I prefer the sense of weight/scale of larger drivers.   This is true when I compared monitors to monitors (not to floor standers).  Of course the larger drivers were in larger cabinets.

However, I do also prefer the apparent imaging of the smaller drivers that seem to generally possess more of?  We are not talking uber $ speakers so these speakers are each having to give up more than perhaps high dollar items.

There is also the confounding factor that the larger drivers usually reach lower.  But even with pieces with less bass, there seem to be something 'bigger' with the larger drivers.

Question:

So lets take two drivers, one 4 incher and one 8 incher playing the same music and lets say both are playing it at the same decibel and have the same bass extension (4 inch would perhaps be in a line transmission cabinet) and have the same transients    Both speakers are pointing at one so that there the smaller driver does not have any advantage of its wider dispersion.

If one were to listen blindfolded, would there be a perceptual difference?  Is there something about the larger driver that would just sound larger and more weighty even at the same decible and bass extension? 

Or is it really just an issue of bass extension with the larger driver?

Thanks!

May you all have a blessed and meaningful Thanksgiving!  I am genuinely thankful for this forum.

UL
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2014, 05:57 pm by Ultralight »

Steve

Re: Driver size vs perception for same frequency & decibels....
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2014, 11:54 pm »
OK, my next question of the day....or perhaps the week.... 8)

When listening to music, I like a sense of scale among other things.  Something large.  This is not volume, but size. Of course, I also like the sense of precise, deep and wide imaging, speed etc.  (Yes, I am admittedly greedy to have it.... :thumb:)

When listening to speakers, it seems that I prefer the sense of weight/scale of larger drivers.   This is true when I compared monitors to monitors (not to floor standers).  Of course the larger drivers were in larger cabinets.

However, I do also prefer the apparent imaging of the smaller drivers that seem to generally possess more of?  We are not talking uber $ speakers so these speakers are each having to give up more than perhaps high dollar items.

There is also the confounding factor that the larger drivers usually reach lower.  But even with pieces with less bass, there seem to be something 'bigger' with the larger drivers.

Question:

So lets take two drivers, one 4 incher and one 8 incher playing the same music and lets say both are playing it at the same decibel and have the same bass extension (4 inch would perhaps be in a line transmission cabinet) and have the same transients    Both speakers are pointing at one so that there the smaller driver does not have any advantage of its wider dispersion.

If one were to listen blindfolded, would there be a perceptual difference?  Is there something about the larger driver that would just sound larger and more weighty even at the same decible and bass extension? 

Or is it really just an issue of bass extension with the larger driver?

Thanks!

May you all have a blessed and meaningful Thanksgiving!  I am genuinely thankful for this forum.

UL

Good question Ultralight. Yes, they will sound different, but using music or tone with harmonics as a reference, not a sine wave. Off the top of my head, a few problems are different cone resonances, different rise times (attack times), dispersion with reflections affecting harmonics etc.

Cheers

Steve