"I Listened to Sennheiser's Absured $55,000 Orpheus Headphones"

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
Agreed, not to mention the retractable tubes. What is the point of that? Consider the wiring to the tube sockets, they have to flex every time the amp is turned on and off. To whom does that seem like a good idea? That adds needless complexity that has to detract from reliability. That is my biggest issue with these: Not so much the price as the fact that they are as much about conspicuous consumption as about sound- if not more. They are attracting attention for all the wrong reasons and feeding the public perception of audiophiles (to the extent that there is a public perception of audiophiles) as neurotic spendthrift idiots. We are NOT idiots  :roll:

This is all marketing from Sennheisser imo for their cheaper line of products. They know no one is going to buy it, but it will put their name on the map for the newer enthusiasts. It's like saying hey, we make stuff that are luxurious and costs so much, don't worry, we are sophisticated and engineering is excellent.

kingdeezie

I was thinking about making the sacrifice of my possible future to get this thing, and what I would expect for my money.  First, I wonder if the razor-sharp transients match well with the broad range of music in my collection, or whether I can find enough new music to make it worthwhile.  I'm not at all enthusiastic about listening to ultra-resolution on a few titles, then switching back to mud to hear my existing favorites.

I would not be inclined to buy a Corvette or other high-performance car with an automatic transmission, and I'm not inclined to buy a desktop headphone system that doesn't allow me to grab the headphone NOW without intervening motors opening the box for me.  The whole concept of sitting down and watching some automated gadget open doors and windows for me is offensive.  An extremely well-made mechanical item is a rare pleasure to operate, whether an expensive Colt Python revolver or a made-in-Japan Honda circa 1997 with purely mechanical doors.  Making it automatic like the newer Honda minivans is "soccer mom" stuff - not my kind of gear.

For $55k I want to feel closer to the music.  Certain aspects of this design seem to push me further away.

First off, IME, the lower an overall system is in distortion and coloration, the better everything sounds. Of course, better recordings will sound better, but even the bad recordings will be very listenable, and if you enjoy the music, you'll enjoy the presentation.

Said another way, the more the system gets out of the way of the music, the better everything sounds.

Second, if you really have 55K to purchase this thing, I guarantee Sennheiser can accommodate around your issue with the tube and knob motors, by either presenting a switch to turn that function off, or removing it all together. These things are hand made, luxury, to order.

The dealer, and the company, will surely do all they can to get 55K from anyone.

mgsboedmisodpc2

I listened to a write up or video review of this product and it seems lots of research money was spent to bring this design to market.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK6ilc1TMSo
Though with that said I will stick with my old HD420 possibly replacing the cord and ear speaker foam padding again one day.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Now even there is an new HD800 named HD800S which looks the same previous model ie ugly, but at even higher price:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkZPj9F0y18

mgsboedmisodpc2

haaaaa, funny FullRangeMan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
haaaaa, funny FullRangeMan
Not a joke, there is really a new HD800S.
This situation is absurdly Kafkaesque, the
thread the video mention reach 91 pages. :duh:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785577/sennheiser-hd800s-unveiled

harri009

• Industry Participant
Yeah I agree that they don't expect to sell many, but I bet they sell quite a few.  You wouldn't think there would be that many Wilson's, magico'so, MBL's.... On the market but yet there are.  I think the headphone industry has realized that there is a market and they are capitalizing on it. 

dB Cooper

Now even there is an new HD800 named HD800S which looks the same previous model ie ugly, but at even higher price:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkZPj9F0y18
I don't mind the HD800 styling  but even if I did, I can't see it while I'm wearing it so unless it's really hideous (like the ones from Blue), then WTF. Comfort and sound are equally important to me (if I don't find it comfortable, I don't care how it sounds) and styling is a distant fourth after build quality. I do tend to avoid bling-for-bling's-sake though, which unfortunately seems to be a growing trend in the headphone world.

harri009

• Industry Participant
I don't mind the HD800 styling  but even if I did, I can't see it while I'm wearing it so unless it's really hideous (like the ones from Blue), then WTF. Comfort and sound are equally important to me (if I don't find it comfortable, I don't care how it sounds) and styling is a distant fourth after build quality. I do tend to avoid bling-for-bling's-sake though, which unfortunately seems to be a growing trend in the headphone world.

I agree and actually find the 800's to be one of the most comfortable phones