Integrate Magnepan 1.7 With SVS SB13-Ultra Sub

project_h20

Integrate Magnepan 1.7 With SVS SB13-Ultra Sub
« on: 27 Mar 2015, 11:47 am »
Hi All,

I am currently using an OPPO 105D to manage crossover from my 1.7 to the SVS SB13U sub. The 1.7s are connected to a pair of W4S mAmps which is in turn connected to the OPPO. The problem is whenever I enable the crossover by setting the Fronts to Small, there is significant loss of audio quality across all frequencies and a diminished soundstage. Bass is not an issue here as solo flutes sound much better on large speaker settings. This is not isolated to the OPPO but also on my previous Pioneer LX85. Is there any point of moving the crossover management to the SVS-SB13? Or is it an accepted fact that 2.1 just dont work? Thanks in advance.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Integrate Magnepan 1.7 With SVS SB13-Ultra Sub
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2015, 04:26 pm »
I run my Magnepan 1.6's full range and set my sub at 45Hz.  I feel I get the best sub integration this way.  If you want a little more bass, then turn the crossover up a little.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2015, 12:59 am »
Move the crossover management to the SVS like I.Greyhound Fan suggested, I think you'll be happier.

project_h20

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2015, 01:00 am »
I run my Magnepan 1.6's full range and set my sub at 45Hz.  I feel I get the best sub integration this way.  If you want a little more bass, then turn the crossover up a little.

How do you connect yours? Which component is handling the crossover? How did you achieve full range and sub? I am using an OPPO which has standard AVR config like delay and size but unfortunately no subwoofer plus capablities.

project_h20

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2015, 01:02 am »
Move the crossover management to the SVS like I.Greyhound Fan suggested, I think you'll be happier.
Steve you have 1.7s or 1.6 right? Do you use subs with them?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2015, 01:15 am »
1.7s and I'm using an SVS cylindrical sub with a Dayton 500W plate amp.
The sub is crossed over at 40 Hz and the speakers are run full range; in other words, the subwoofer is hooked up to the preamp's outputs just like the stereo amps are for the 1.7s.

I do the same thing with the 3.7s, too.

project_h20

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2015, 01:20 am »
1.7s and I'm using an SVS cylindrical sub with a Dayton 500W plate amp.
The sub is crossed over at 40 Hz and the speakers are run full range; in other words, the subwoofer is hooked up to the preamp's outputs just like the stereo amps are for the 1.7s.

I do the same thing with the 3.7s, too.

Thanks will do that after I get more cables then :). Do you know if the SVS crossover are passive?

On a side note, how much did the 20.7s weigh? My wife is worried that I will break my back moving them.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2015, 01:39 am »
I would contact Oppo but it looks to me like you could run balanced for the amp and then RCA for the sub or add those RCA adaptors which allow you to double up the lines.
The cylindrical SVS is passive, the box one that I use with the 3.7s is active.  The passive really makes the most sense as the amplifier isn't being rattled into garbage but they're not in vogue much these days.
The 20.7s weigh around 100 pounds each.  You won't be carrying the box into the house by yourself, that much I know.
They have slippery oval bases which make them real easy to slide around, though, along with little handles on the back for fine tuning the positioning if you're so inclined. 
The good news is you won't need a subwoofer with 20.7s!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2015, 03:37 am »
How do you connect yours? Which component is handling the crossover? How did you achieve full range and sub? I am using an OPPO which has standard AVR config like delay and size but unfortunately no subwoofer plus capablities.

I run my sub directly from my one of the line outs on my 2ch preamp.

project_h20

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2015, 11:51 am »
Moved the crossover to the sub and lost LFE in the process :'(

Did you guys have a second sub or not using the maggies for HT duties?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2015, 01:52 pm »
Just run the interconnects to the subwoofer Low Level Input and don't connect the speakers wires to the subwoofer.
Is that what you're doing?