new IDA-6 owner

envydd

new IDA-6 owner
« on: 24 Jan 2018, 05:40 pm »
Folks, after a little bit of searching for the neutral sound signature, I went in for the IDA-6 even though everyone is raving about the IDA-8. Pros: 2x TOSLINK/SPDIF inputs. It arrived yesterday! Its tiny

Initial feedback (needs to be broken in before I can comment on the sound)
- remote control looks like an unfinished lab project
- when I switch the amp, it starts in the standby mode (took some time to figure out). Then if I use the volume control, it switches off and then turns on.
- when I connect my Mac or a chrome cast audio to the TOSLINK port, the display says 44.1 even if I am playing a 192/24 file (and chrome cast audio is 96/24) .... any ideas why?

feedback on the sound - as crisp as my early Nuforce amps or maybe slightly better, I need to listen more. Love the volume control.

Phil A

Re: new IDA-6 owner
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2018, 06:00 pm »
Congrats on the purchase.  I picked up an IDA-8 several months back for the office system.

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2018, 07:07 pm »
See this FAQ about how sampling rate is detected and displayed:

http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/ufaqs/how-does-nuprime-determine-the-displayed-sampling-rate/

You might be playing high-res file but the streaming device down sampled it.
Or the player app is not configured correctly.

envydd

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2018, 04:17 pm »
Initial impressions:
- more neutral than my Yamaha Aventage receiver (supposedly the amps on these are not too shabby). "Almost" as neutral as my Nuforce DIA (which I still use as a headphone amp!)
- at lower volumes I get a little more detail compared to my DIA
- My LS50s need a little more power but the sound is crisp, pairs well. I wish there was a 100W version of it (I like neutral sound and I wonder if the IDA-8 will be too warm).
- Vocals sound amazing with this combo.

Have to listen more but I thought I would drop in a few observations. BTW NuPrime support was awesome!

Wonder 1) what DAC they used 2) if the STA6/IDA6 have the same amp modules, why are the distortion numbers different?

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2018, 07:51 pm »
If you want more power, go with STA-6 and it can be bridged into mono amp.
IDA-6 has to live without the cost and size constrain. 
Integrated and stereo amp THD+N spec are different.