B&O Linear Tracking Table - What to Do About Cartriges

ssglx

I have a TX turntable and an MMC-2 cartridge which I bought used several years ago, and an MMC-3 that I inherited along with a 7700 receiver system.

The MMC-2 sounds like it mistracks just bit, but has no obvious issues.

I am contemplating having the MMC-2 restored by Soundsmith, or purchase one of their SMMC-2 or SMMC-1 cartridges.

Note that I used to own an 8002 table with an MMC-2 which I liked quite a bit.

Which direction should I head, rebuild old cartridge or purchase new Soundsmith? and if purchase go with a new SMMC-1 or SMMC-2?

thanks,
chris

Johnny2Bad

Re: B&O Linear Tracking Table - What to Do About Cartriges
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2017, 01:59 pm »
eBay, US Audio Mart, there's a B&O owners site online somewhere with Classifieds, and can be rebuilt by Soundsmith dotcom

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2017, 07:28 pm »
SoundSmith rebuilt. When I called Peter Ledermann answered and steered me to a less expensive cartridge which to me means that he will give you good advice for your particular application.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2017, 07:29 pm »
Also there is a Yahoo B&O group, not particularly active, but they do post from time to time.

Paul

ssglx

« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2017, 10:48 pm »
orthobiz.
Thanks for your responses. Can you explain why you recommend Soundsmith rebuilt? Will that result in a superior cartridge vs his new replacements?
Because its cheaper?

Thanks,
Chris

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2017, 01:37 am »
I may have misspoke...I bought a new B&O clone, the SMMC4. I know that he reverse engineered the cartridges to make new ones. I think the one I bought was 200 bucks.

It's for my daughter's turntable so I didn't sweat it.

Paul