Stabilizer or Clamp?

brk36

Stabilizer or Clamp?
« on: 11 Jan 2016, 09:09 pm »
There seems to be a lot of debate about these extras, some people swear by them, some people say they damage or place extra stress on direct drive TTs while not improving sound quality. Not sure what to think after reading the links below besides there is a wide range of opinions on the subject.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=44199

http://www.discogs.com/group/thread/476723

https://www.avforums.com/threads/turntable-clamp-weight.1756406/

Does anyone use a stabilizer or a clamp (or a hybird) and if so can your recommend a particular one that would mate well with a JVC QL Y5F TT? Not sure if I really want to invest money here but I think it is at least worthwhile to hear opinions on the subject!

If you think it is a fad please voice that opinion as well!

Thanks

Benjamin

twitch54

Re: Stabilizer or Clamp?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2016, 10:50 pm »
I have a VPI Aries III with super platter and perf ring, I've utilized a Black Diamond Racing clamp since day one. While I can't say if it is better with or without just that all sounds mighty good to these 'old ears'.

If you have the ability to try / borrow one go for it and if YOU think it makes an improvement than so be it ……….

griffithds

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2016, 03:16 am »
The VPI is a threaded spindle.  My JVC's is not.  I therefor assume all JVC's are not.  I own both a VPI Aries and a JVC TT-81.  On the VPI is the Black Diamond Racing clamp.  They by the way, are only threaded.  On the JVC is the Monster Cable clamp which is the same clamp which is sold under different names one of which is the Sumiko.  I think the best clamp for the non-threaded spindles are the SOTA reflex clamp.  It was the best clamp I ever owned.  It is like the Racing clamp in that it can be made to tighten just about as tight as possible.  I would not play a record without the use of a clamp.  I want my record 'held' against the surface of the platter and not waving up and down as it goes around.  An no, records are not all flat. Actually, most are not.  It you don't believe this, then just take the corner of one of your post-it notes and see how often you are able to slide a sheet of it under your so called 'flat' record.  Disappointing to say the least. 
Regards,

restrav

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2018, 04:11 am »
which one should I buy?

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=record%20clamp

For a Project Carbon with speed box and the acrylic upgrade?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2018, 04:51 am »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2018, 05:01 am »
Just to complicate things further, I like the JA Mitchell clamp.  They have a couple of color variations on the same design, as well as one for Rega spindles.  It's a reflex clamp with a felt washer for eliminating or minimizing warps, or it can be used without the washer, which is what I've preferred.  Very reasonably priced.

restrav

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2018, 05:22 am »

restrav

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2018, 05:23 am »
Just to complicate things further, I like the JA Mitchell clamp.  They have a couple of color variations on the same design, as well as one for Rega spindles.  It's a reflex clamp with a felt washer for eliminating or minimizing warps, or it can be used without the washer, which is what I've preferred.  Very reasonably priced.

very good thanks , I looked at etsy because i liked the idea of buying something relatively unique and handmade but on the other hand you can beat, tried and true.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2018, 05:40 am »
this ring is $1350!
All I see are expensive, they think vinyl guys are rich.
I could order one in alu or real wood at a CNC shop :thumb:

bacobits1

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2018, 09:05 am »
A consideration, if you want to stop the table when changing sides and records. A camp you will need to stop the platter. Sound? Totally depends on the table and the platter material. The most elegant mechanically made and machined clamp I have had here was the Basis super clamp,$350. Of course it was best on a Basis table.
The collet tightened by a super easy 1/4 turn of the knob. Very nice. The Michell clamps are reasoonable $ light and easy to use.
Herbie's makes a nice non stainless one,disc stabilizer, that workes very well on Rega tables.
Peo-ject makes their own clamps too.