SET Friendly Speakers

jwlaff

SET Friendly Speakers
« on: 19 Dec 2015, 04:47 am »
Duke,
  In reading about your projects a while back, I see that you are working on an SET friendly speaker.  Anything you can share at this point?

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Re: SET Friendly Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2015, 10:21 pm »
The Swarm opens up doors as far as doing high-efficiency speakers, something I thought would be the case but then one of my customers paired up a Swarm with his Edgarhorns (the Titan sub being impractical for his room), and when Swarm was dialed in it sounded like his 80 Hz front-loaded bass horns went all the way down. 

Once we've crossed the threshold and decided to use the Swarm, all of a sudden there's really no reason to pursue bass extension south of 80 Hz or so because the Swarm can do it so much better than our mains.   And all of a sudden the very high efficiency called for by single-ended triodes becomes a lot more practical to attain. 

I have two SET-friendly projects in the works.  One involves a high-output two-way satellite speaker, and the other involves a rather exotic single fullrange driver.  Both are intended to be used with the Swarm.   
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2015, 06:10 pm by Duke »

skvinson

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2016, 05:25 am »
Looking forward to seeing more about the "exotic single fullrange."

Brian Walsh

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2016, 05:01 pm »
Duke will be here for the AXPONA show in April, in the same room, #554. Come for the fun and good tunes.

Last year's system:

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2016, 03:43 am »
Looking forward to seeing more about the "exotic single fullrange."

The exotic single fullrange driver is an 8-inch unit with a field coil motor.  I'm still learning about how to best take advantage of its strengths while adequately protecting it in a way that doesn't impose any sonic compromise.   

tube-vds

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2016, 06:58 am »
it's also about stable impedance.

i use the living voice avatar speaker - and my tube amps seems to like them.  :thumb:

rebbi

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2016, 04:53 am »
The exotic single fullrange driver is an 8-inch unit with a field coil motor.  I'm still learning about how to best take advantage of its strengths while adequately protecting it in a way that doesn't impose any sonic compromise.

Duke,
Hey! Didn't even realize you were on AC. Cool!
Love to hear more about your SET-friendly project as it progresses.
Cheers from Austin, TX!