DAC-9

Juventino

DAC-9
« on: 11 Nov 2015, 06:48 am »
Whats the latest info on the DAC-9 your side of the ocean?

I know its the AKM Dac chip.
Dac and Pre.

But what makes it special?

rustydoglim

Re: DAC-9
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2015, 12:49 pm »
Most important points about DAC-9:
1. Enhanced SRC (Sampling Rate Conversion) IC chip provides FPGA processing with ultra-low jitter and distortion. Input signal up sampled to mega hertz before converting to target sampling rate for best jitter reduction.
2. AKM4490EQ DAC supporting USB PCM 768 and DSD256, that is also capable of decoding DoP formats via coaxial and optical inputs
3. Designed for studio recording professional with high precision AES and XLR outputs.

Inputs:

1 x USB PCM / DSD Digital (PCM up to 384KHz & DSD UP TO DSD256 )
1 x Coaxial Digital S/PDIF (PCM up to 192KHz, DoP format DSD64)
1 x Optical Digital S/PDIF (PCM up to 192KHz, DoP format DSD64)
1 x Bluetooth Receiver or WiFi (optional) input
1 x AES Digital balance input
1 x Analog Stereo RCA

Outputs:

1 x Stereo RCA analog out
1 x Stereo XLR analog out
1 x Optical S/PDIF out

USB Sampling Rates: 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz, 192KHz, 352.8KHz, 384KHz and DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz
S/PDIF Sampling Rates: 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96, 176.4KHz, 192KHz, 384KHz (Coaxial)
Maximum Sampling Rate: 32-bits
Bit Resolution: 16-32 bits
THD+N: 0.0015%
Frequency Response: 10Hz to 80kHz
Dynamic range: > - 113 dB

Features:
•   NuPrime SRC IC chip provides FPGA processing with ultra-low jitter and distortion
•   AKM Newest Generation: High Sound Quality Premium 32-bit Stereo DAC (AK4490 EQ)
•   NuPrime vibration-free isolation feet (patent pending*)
•   State-of-the-art DAC supporting USB PCM 384 and DSD256, that is also capable of decoding DoP formats via coaxial and optical inputs
•   Extension port for Bluetooth dongle and WiFi audio streaming (optional)
•   Full microprocessor control with memory retention
•   Five digital inputs and one stereo input for complete system flexibility
•   Supports DSD native playback by ASIO2.1 and DoP method
•   Ultra-low-noise JFETs in the input stage for the lowest possible noise floor
•   Volume adjustment in 99 precise 0.5dB increments
•   Advanced, thin-film switched-resistor ladder network for controlling volume, with a single resistor in the signal path at any volume setting
•   Individually adjustable volume on each input for precise level matching of sources
•   Exclusive driver software for Windows
•   Standard driver software for Mac
•   Asynchronous transfer mode
•   Very low power consumption on Standby Mode
•   Available in black or silver anodized aluminum finish
•   Includes remote control

kevb

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2015, 12:51 pm »
Interesting....how does this compare to the DAC section of the IDA-8 which I am really enjoying?

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2015, 12:53 pm »
What's the difference between DAC-9 and DAC-10H?
To get DAC-10H performance, you would need to pair up DAC-9 + HPA-9.
Few people realize the power of DAC-10H headphone amp, it can even drive high efficiency speaker!
They sounded different.  If you like slightly warmer sound, DAC-9 is the one.

It is a tough choice between the two. If you want the flexibility with separate headphone amp and DAC, then DAC-9 is the obvious choice.

kevb

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2015, 12:58 pm »
Few people realize the power of DAC-10H headphone amp, it can even drive high efficiency speaker!

It is a tough choice between the two. If you want the flexibility with separate headphone amp and DAC, then DAC-9 is the obvious choice.

Thank you.  That makes it a tough call for me.  I love how the IDA-8 positively glows with my Equation speakers.  No more warmth needed at all.  But I love warmth.....as long as there is resolution, which I know will be there with the DAC-9.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2015, 12:58 pm »
The DAC in IDA-8 comes from the ESS 9018 family. So it has the ESS neutral and clean sound.  IDA-8 has warmer sound than IDA-16 because we match it with a different amp design.
But in order to have a warmer sounding DAC alone, we went with the new AKM DAC.

Now if you are a tube enthusiasts and want to get rid of tube amp, then you can go with the new STA-9 and DAC-9.
The STA-9 sounded rich and tube-like, but very fast and powerful.  Come on, 290W in a bridged mono configuration inside a 8.5" chassis is probably the most powerful amp on the market.

kevb

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:01 pm »
The DAC in IDA-8 comes from the ESS 9018 family. So it has the ESS neutral and clean sound.  IDA-8 has warmer sound than IDA-16 because we match it with a different amp design.
But in order to have a warmer sounding DAC alone, we went with the new AKM DAC.

Now if you are a tube enthusiasts and want to get rid of tube amp, then you can go with the new STA-9 and DAC-9.
The STA-9 sounded rich and tube-like, but very fast and powerful.  Come on, 290W in a bridged mono configuration inside a 8.5" chassis is probably the most powerful amp on the market.

That is exactly the sound I love....fast, powerful, and warm, with all the details still there.  This sounds like my next purchase!  :thumb: 

EDIT: Does the STA-9 have balanced inputs? 

rustydoglim

Juventino

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:46 pm »

Thank you for the specs of the DAC-9 much appreciated.

Was there a DAC-10 with out the headphone released?

If so was it just the ESS chip difference?

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:56 pm »
DAC-10 comes as DAC-10 or DAC-10H (H = headphone amp).
DAC-10 can become DAC-10H by upgrading the front panel which contains the headphone amp.

Because of the DAC with headphone amp, so the headphone amp of DAC-10H is more sophisticated than HPA-9 where it has two levels of gain control (H, L and RCA, XLR).  HPA-9 only has H and L gain control.

Juventino

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2015, 02:14 pm »
 :beer: Thank you

kevb

« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2015, 03:08 pm »
Wow, so the DAC-9 will have remote control, balanced output, S/PDIF optical output up to 24/192 AND it will have the bluetooth streaming capability?  Fantastic!!   :thumb:   I will have to get in touch with Rick to get on any pre-order list....

Any chance we see a headphone version (DAC-9H?) like the DAC-10/10H? 

I will be saving up my pennies for the ST-10 to pair with it.  But I may have to start with the STA-9....
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2015, 04:49 pm by kevb »

Juventino

« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2015, 10:13 am »
Hi Justin
One more question with the DAC-9 is there a way to by pass the PREAMP section of the Dac-9 to use it as DAC only?
Not use the volume control of the DAC-9?

franz159

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2015, 11:14 pm »
I might have missed it, but is any info available about pricing and planned availability?

kevb

« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2015, 12:19 pm »
I might have missed it, but is any info available about pricing and planned availability?

Not quite sure on the availability date, but the price I have seen is $749.  I am interested in the date too.  I will be picking one up as soon as it comes out.

Juventino

« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2015, 12:48 pm »
Not quite sure on the availability date, but the price I have seen is $749.  I am interested in the date too.  I will be picking one up as soon as it comes out.

From what I have heard release should be beginning to mid December

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2015, 02:46 pm »
Although my dollar (CDN) is falling rapidly against the USD, this piece looks to be fantastic value.

I presently use an old NuForce AVP-16 as my 2 channel preamp.  In bypass mode it provides excellent sound via the XLR outputs to my Crown amp.

To think that a matured version of the volume control I am presently enjoying, in addition to tremendous DAC capability is being offered at a reasonable price is awesome.  Love the DAC/PRE combo idea, and the ability to process all my current music file formats plus the DSD options is appealing.  Seeing the supported USB formats is very tempting.

I will have to think a lot about my current setup.  Great job NuPrime!

kevb

« Reply #17 on: 13 Nov 2015, 04:21 pm »
Although my dollar (CDN) is falling rapidly against the USD, this piece looks to be fantastic value.

I presently use an old NuForce AVP-16 as my 2 channel preamp.  In bypass mode it provides excellent sound via the XLR outputs to my Crown amp.

To think that a matured version of the volume control I am presently enjoying, in addition to tremendous DAC capability is being offered at a reasonable price is awesome.  Love the DAC/PRE combo idea, and the ability to process all my current music file formats plus the DSD options is appealing.  Seeing the supported USB formats is very tempting.

I will have to think a lot about my current setup.  Great job NuPrime!

Same boat here....CDN dollar tanking far too fast.  I have the IDA-8, and I am frankly blown away by it.  It scales very well to all my speakers.  Extremely good sound via USB. I am going to be an "early adopter" of the DAC-9. It fits my price point and requirements for a DAC/Pre.

rustydoglim

« Reply #18 on: 13 Nov 2015, 05:11 pm »
DAC-9 preamp is very high-end using switch resistor design so it won't affect your performance and if you want to "bypass" it because you have a preamp, then just fix its volume. I bet you can get rid of your external preamp.

Shipping December 7 from factory so take about 5 days to reach USA.

Juventino

« Reply #19 on: 13 Nov 2015, 05:38 pm »
Sounds really good.
Going to give some competitors a kick in the pants.
Definitely going to pull the trigger on this one as it keeps getting better. I just really dig deep and try get as much information as possible. Love knowing everything about an audio product I'm going to spend hard earned money on.

What's the power supply on the unit?
Do you have any info on the analogue stage?