Does Amp Warm Up Time Improve Bass?... IEC Plug Upgrades?...

88man

I was testing my speakers, and I noticed a $200 Behringer amp had substantial more bass punch than my Dual Mono Stratos. I always thought it was my interconnects or centrally located speakers in the 24x25ft room. I never got into the habit of leaving my Stratos Dual Mono or Tempest turned on. Over these 11 years, I've forgotten to do so, now that I was searching through old posts on the subject of warm up time.

In retrospect, I remember that only after sporadic 6+ hour listening or "forgetting to turn off the amp" sessions have I noticed that the bass finally kicks in and the soundstage opens with sonic nirvana. 95% of the time I've had to power Class D 13" stereo subs to fulfill the low end all this time because I've been turning down the entire system.

Questions:

1. Will the bass improve on a consistant basis if the amp is always on?...

2. Is it important to leave the Tempest Extreme Preamp turned on too?...

3. What is the charge up time on the 60,000uF PS caps to realize full sonic potential?...

4. I've tried several power cords on the Dual Monos and they never fit snugly. Does anyone know of good chassis IEC plug upgrades?...

Thanks!

charmerci

The on-line manual says (p.14) their preference is to be left on at all times.

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/odyssey-unified-usersmanual.html

Stercom

88man, I've owned a lot of equipment over the years and I can a sure you the Stratos Monos are much better sounding amps, and have better bass, than your $200 Behringer amp. Play your Stratos amps for 100 hours continuously, listen critically and then tell me the Behringer amp has better bass. If you think it does then simply sell the Statos monos to me at 50 cents on the dollar and don't think about it anymore.  Problem solved  :D

aaron.luebke

60 cents on the dollar...   :thumb:

Stercom

60 cents on the dollar...   :thumb:
Oh boy, a bidding war!  Ha,ha.  Seriously, 88 man, just give the Odyssey amps some time.  You'll be glad you did. 

Early B.

What you're hearing from your Behringer amp is crappy sounding, unnatural, boomy bass. But yeah, Odyssey amps are notorious for requiring a lengthy warm-up time.

88man

Thanks everyone for the encouraging news! I know the Behringer has horrible mids, it was only to test my new Duelund 0.01uF Silver Bypass Caps on the speakers. The amp generates enormous amount of heat to the point where you have to take your hands off the top after 5 seconds. It's definitely hot, not warm. I have the amp in a stereo cabinet as shown below with 1.5" top clearance.. Don't know if it's safe to leave it on 24/7?

Stercom

That cabinet doesn't allow side ventilation and is basically another enclosure around your equipment which holds the heat in. Maybe Klaus will chime-in, but I would get your amp out of that cabinet before leaving it on 24/7. My Odyssey amp doesn't get nearly as hot as you are describing.

tripwr1964

yeah 2x  get it out of there!

88man

Great suggestions! I'l remove both side panels and door to establish side ventilation and hope temperatures remain at moderate levels.

88man

Re: Does Amp Warm Up Time Improve Bass?... IEC Plug Upgrades?...
« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2016, 05:12 pm »
I took the side panels off and raised the top clearance to 5 in  It gave me 3 more hours until the entire amp became too hot again.  I may have to place a computer fan over the small holes on the amp cover, or place it with a black perforated sheet metal for increased circulation.

I'm trying to be tidy by keeping the amp in the cabinet, but if it does have to be in the open, I'll have to transfer the Odysseys to the man cave. :(

aaron.luebke

« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2016, 09:39 pm »
I found some fans...Nanoxia (?) that are for computers.  Rated for 12v but it doesn't hurt to run them slower.  I put a 9v wall wart behind them after putting a pair of them in parallel to the wall wart.  Unless you're within a couple inches of them they can't be heard.  I just place them on top of the amp above the holes and pull air up.  You don't need a lot of air flow but some sure helps.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #12 on: 4 Dec 2016, 10:15 pm »
Considering the heat, it makes me wonder, Are you the original owner of your stratos, and if so have you had or have you checked the bias lately?  If the amp is consistently getting that hot, it makes me wonder if you are (intentionally or not) running the bias such that the amp is running hotter than would normally be expected.  Just another thought.

88man

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2016, 01:14 am »
Jonathan, I don't ever remember the amp running this hot when I bought the Tempest and DM amp from Klaus new in 2006 with the 20 year warranty. I've had the amp in the same cabinet. However, in recent years, it has been running hot to the point of feeling uneasy to leave it on 24/7. You'd think this was a tube amp...
I' do have a multi-meter, but not sure where you check the bias? Should I have Klaus adjust the bias?...

Aaron, good idea!

Once the caps are fully charged, the Odysseys never leave me wanting more - tube like sonic signature with solid state control. It's a shame to have to leave them on all the time to reap its sonic benefits.

Thanks!

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2016, 01:51 am »
Jonathan, I don't ever remember the amp running this hot when I bought the Tempest and DM amp from Klaus new in 2006 with the 20 year warranty. I've had the amp in the same cabinet. However, in recent years, it has been running hot to the point of feeling uneasy to leave it on 24/7. You'd think this was a tube amp...
I' do have a multi-meter, but not sure where you check the bias? Should I have Klaus adjust the bias?...

Someone on the forum recently posted that they have a copy of the instructions for biasing the amps.  Otherwise, I'm sure Klaus could either walk you through it or take care of it for you; it is one of the first things he brings up almost every time I've read someone asking about issues with an amp.  One way or another, if you are ten years in for your amp, I can't see it hurt to have a tune up done if nothing else just to check everything over to make sure you are still working up to spec.

88man

« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2016, 02:08 am »
Jonathan, sounds great! I don't have any info on the bias current on the Dual Mono. I do have a multi-meter, and I've done simple DIY electronics and speakers, so I wouldn't mind if Klaus would be oblige to guide me along instead of having to ship the massive amp.

JackD

« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2016, 02:37 am »
Look two topics down to the one about biasing.  Several members on that thread have the instructions.

88man

« Reply #17 on: 5 Dec 2016, 03:23 am »
JackD, Thanks for the info!

JackD

« Reply #18 on: 5 Dec 2016, 03:30 am »
Your welcome and it seems you definitely have a problem as I have owned 4 different Odyssey amp models since 1999 and have never had one get to the temperatures you are seeing and they are always left on.  If you have access to a digital infrared thermometer you might want to leave it on for 4 or five hours and take its temperature on the top near the transformer and see what you get.  Somewhere around 100 or less would be normal. 

88man

« Reply #19 on: 5 Dec 2016, 03:33 am »
Your welcome and it seems you definitely have a problem as I have owned 4 different Odyssey amp models since 1999 and have never had one get to the temperatures you are seeing and they are always left on.  If you have access to a digital infrared thermometer you might want to leave it on for 4 or five hours and take its temperature on the top near the transformer and see what you get.  Somewhere around 100 or less would be normal.
We'll do, JackD!