2 yr old 60" LG plasma grey screen no picture but sound works!

NIGHTFALL1970

After a thunder storm Friday night my 2 yr old 60" LG plasma has no picture. Screen is grey. Sound works. Had a brief power failure during the night. TV is plugged into a surge protector. Anyone else have this problem? TV was about $1200. Is it worth repairing?

rpf

No idea but what surge protector do use?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
After a thunder storm Friday night my 2 yr old 60" LG plasma has no picture. Screen is grey. Sound works. Had a brief power failure during the night. TV is plugged into a surge protector. Anyone else have this problem? TV was about $1200. Is it worth repairing?
Do you mean say TV in use at the x moment?
Any warranty left?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2016, 12:00 am by Bob2 »

Bemopti123

Insurance companies are notorious in what they cover.  They use deductible calculators with depreciation added to each year the item in question was in service.  I do not remember how much they deduct but I think it is like 15% a year.  So, that TV, in their calculator would be covered, if they are to covered to about $900?  I say that TV perhaps is truly worth a lot less in the secondary market.  If I see that same TV in the second hand market for about $600...I would pay perhaps $300 TOPS to get it working.  And even then, I would keep my fingers cross that the fix will be a lasting one.  The way you see the situation would be different but being that there are so many TVs and their prices are dropping as we speak, it is something that you need to take into consideration.  Perhaps it is an easy fix but perhaps it may require entire boards to be replaced...and that in itself might not be all that affordable. 

bajaed

I had a 60" LG Plasma that the panel went out on a couple of months out of warranty and was able to talk them into covering it.

That tv has a great picture IMO and I would look into fixing it if I were you. Until OLED comes way down I'd try to keep the Plasma going.

mcgsxr

My Panny VT55 plasma on the main floor died about a year ago now.  I was able to get 2 boards replaced for around $250.  It was well worth it to me.  Unclear what even diagnosing your issue might cost, but could be worth a chat with a local tech.

NIGHTFALL1970

Thanks for the replies.  The surge protector is a Philips. My sub is connected to it and is fine.  The place I bought the TV from is closed (Sunday) so I will call tomorrow to see if I have any warranty left.  I am going to BB to look at new TVs just in case I need to buy new.  How do 1080P blu-rays look on 4K sets? Anyone here know?

I wonder if I should go with a projector?

Bemopti123

Projectors and their image quality have a lot do with ambient light.  If the room where you project is dark, it will give off decent contrast but if it somewhat bright, it will compromise image quality.  You also need to consider what you use the projector for....mostly occasional movies or if you attempting to use it as a regular TV.  Decent projectors seem to be expensive and the light bulbs are not necessarily affordable.  I use a projector for work....the projector is on 3 hours a day X 188 days a year.  It is about 6 years old and the light bulb is still running strong.  But, I do not use it for more than work.  My friend has a 1080p Epson home projector.  The images in her basement wall...without a pull down screen are amazing especially when the source is BR. 

NIGHTFALL1970

Checked out BB today. The best looking tv by far was a Sony 4K x930D 65" for $2300. The warranty is $500.00 for 5 years. Should I get the warranty?

bacobits1

Re: 2 yr old 60" LG plasma grey screen no picture but sound works!
« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2016, 10:34 pm »
Sony 4k can be stunning, how much 4k material is out there? No broadcasts in 4k.
Am I wrong?

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2016, 10:50 pm »
I have the first generation Sony 4K.  The new one is exponentially better Z9D.  I recommend the high end model and I believe they dropped 1K already.  I would not get the warranty.  Rather to best model made.  My sony is 4? years old now and running strong.  Zero issues.  I was going to go OLED but withe new Sony technology, I actually prefer that than OLED.  Plus OLED longevity is unproven, with issues in green? spectrum, I believe. 

http://www.tvsuperstores.com/Sony_65_Class_Flagship_Z-Series_4K_HDR_Ultra_HD_Premium_Smart_LED_TV_XBR-65Z9D_835.html?refid=gshop&gclid=CJX6uLCB8s8CFcNlfgod_fsLdw  $3800.

LG OLED65E6P is even cheaper - $3000 range.  OLED and same picture quality as the G6P.  Only difference is in the built in speaker setup.

Early B.

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2016, 12:08 am »
FWIW -- a cheap surge protector is worthless. I learned that the hard way a few years ago after a storm fried the motherboard on my computer (but other electronics connected to the surge protector were fine). The technician told me to get a "real" surge protector. I now have five SurgeX devices in my house.  Best insurance you can buy for your gear.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2016, 09:55 am »
Checked out BB today. The best looking tv by far was a Sony 4K x930D 65" for $2300. The warranty is $500.00 for 5 years. Should I get the warranty?
Of course no, too expensive.
After power off the TV you will unplug the TV power cord from the wall.
Problem solved and save $500.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2016, 12:55 pm by FullRangeMan »

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2016, 10:41 pm »
Try unplugging the TV power cord for say 10 minutes and then plug back in.  My old Panasonic Plasma did something similar to yours and started working again after power reset.  Also have you tried switching source inputs?

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2016, 02:16 am »
Max190,
Thanks for the advice, but it didn't work.
Turns out that my tv is under warranty, but NOT for power surges or lightning strikes. :duh:
I guess warranties are useless. :roll:
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2016, 04:09 pm by NIGHTFALL1970 »

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2016, 10:02 am »
I purchased a new SONY 65" 4K 930D yesterday. A p.i.t.a. to set up. The picture looks awesome. Now I have a new problem.  The HDMI out 1 on my OPPO won't work now. Sound works, but no picture.  I have tried switching audio out between different settings, and it still won't work. Did the surge that killed my TV also screw up my OPPO?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2016, 10:16 am »
Did the surge that killed my TV also screw up my OPPO?
Put another DVD player to test it if avaliable.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #18 on: 26 Oct 2016, 10:18 am »
I will try that when I get home. Thanks. I just read online that you should turn on all components first, and the OPPO last. I thought it should be the other way around.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2016, 11:07 am »
All Sony LCDs I setup had a awfull menu, I glad to use Toshiba as they do plain simple manus.