GIK Acoustics NEW Alpha Wood Series

dpatters

Re: GIK Acoustics NEW Alpha Wood Series
« Reply #40 on: 16 Oct 2015, 06:59 pm »
rajacat,

Very interesting idea but I'm looking for something I can remove and hide when we want to watch the tv.
If this was a home theater setup I'd be all over that one.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Much appreciated.

Don P.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #41 on: 16 Oct 2015, 08:18 pm »
I just placed my order. These will replace the 244s behind my Vapor Joule Blacks. I'm just trying to
improve the aesthetics since my system is in my living room.  I'll move the 244s to my secondary
system which is in a spare bedroom. Still looking for any suggestions on how to deal with the 60"
television.

Don P.

I'm going to be buying 4 of these as well, I'm also going to be buying the corner bass traps to go with them. I know this is a bit off topic but since this thread is moving I don't see a reason to start a new one...

The corner traps are about an inch or two too tall when stacked in my front corners, can I move them into the room just a couple of inches so they fit without them falling down or causing any ill effects?

Thanks,

Greg

dpatters

« Reply #42 on: 23 Oct 2015, 02:38 pm »
My GIK Alpha woods being delivered today.  I'll install them over the weekend and post a pic.

Greg - I would be interested to see how you are handling the corner.  Could you post a pic of your installation when completed?
I have tri trap currently installed in the front corner.

Don P.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #43 on: 23 Oct 2015, 03:27 pm »
My GIK Alpha woods being delivered today.  I'll install them over the weekend and post a pic.

Greg - I would be interested to see how you are handling the corner.  Could you post a pic of your installation when completed?
I have tri trap currently installed in the front corner.

Don P.

Don, I'm looking forward to your pictures and seeing them installed. I'll be ordering the Tri-traps with scatter plates under the cloth but will have to move them out into the room a couple of inches, otherwise they'll hit the ceiling in the corner. I hope this is OK as I didn't get a response? You can probably tell me how stable they are if you have carpet? Seems like since they sit on the floor they should be O.K. out a bit.

It would be really nice if the Tri-traps with scatter plates had the plates on the outside like the Alpha Series but I suppose then they would cost more as the scatter plate would have to be finished.

Greg

dpatters

« Reply #44 on: 23 Oct 2015, 03:34 pm »
Greg,

Thanks for the reply.  Now I understand your installation. I wouldn't think having the tri traps out a few inches would be an issue.  Mine sit on hardwood floor and are very stable.
I would think they should be stable on carpet as well.  I used to have two stacked but my wife didn't go for that much. Scatterplate wasn't an option when I purchased mine. Once I have
the Alphas on hand I'm going to try to look at corner mounting.  If I come up with something I'll add 2 more to replace the tri trap so I  have a consistent look.

Don P.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 23 Oct 2015, 07:50 pm »
Greg,

Thanks for the reply.  Now I understand your installation. I wouldn't think having the tri traps out a few inches would be an issue.  Mine sit on hardwood floor and are very stable.
I would think they should be stable on carpet as well.  I used to have two stacked but my wife didn't go for that much. Scatterplate wasn't an option when I purchased mine. Once I have
the Alphas on hand I'm going to try to look at corner mounting.  If I come up with something I'll add 2 more to replace the tri trap so I  have a consistent look.

Don P.

Don, That would look really nice, it would be great if you could just add the scatterplates to your current Tri-traps.
I really would like to see pictures once you get the Alphas. Your set up will look the same as what I'm going to have so I'd also like your opinion on the sound differences you hear.
I'm not getting the Tri-traps to stack on top until later, trying to stretch the investment out a bit.
Take Care,

Greg

dpatters

« Reply #46 on: 27 Oct 2015, 12:49 pm »
Greg,

Here are some pics.

I decided to just stack the A4 wood panels rather than hanging them on the wall.  It was really easy and I didn't have to put any holes in the wall.  You can also see the tri-trap and the 242 panel at the first reflection point. To improve the look I have sent an email to Christina at GIK asking if I could just purchase 2 of the wood veneer panels separately to attach to the tri-trap.  I have also asked about purchasing a single A4 panel on a metal custom stand to replace the 242 panel.  That way I can move it when not listening critically. I think that would finish the look.  I haven't heard back from GIK as of yet.

This is the best sound I've had in my room. I really like the combination of absorption and diffusion  :thumb:

Hopefully I'll hear back from GIK and then I can post on the final installation.

Don P.

dpatters

« Reply #47 on: 27 Oct 2015, 02:53 pm »
Just heard back from GIK.  They are not offering the wood veneer as a separate purchase and the custom metal stands are not compatible with the A4 panels. Seemed like such a simple solution to my needs.  Oh well.  They did mention a new wood line that will be coming out which will have a wood veneer tri-trap. It just would have been easier to attach the wood veneer to the tri-trap I already own rather than have to purchase a replacement :(

Not the response I was looking for.

Don P.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #48 on: 27 Oct 2015, 04:07 pm »
Wow Don, those look really nice, they blend in really well with the wall. They look lighter in color than what I was thinking, is that just the picture being off a bit?

I noticed you set them in the horizontal plain rather than the pictures from GIK which have them turned to the vertical. I'll be mounting mine the same way you have them. I even asked Bryan if he thought it would make any difference and he said he didn't think so.

Glad to hear they make a nice improvement, to bad they won't just sell you the scatter plate, it seems like a simple solution except they are probably unfinished. It would still be nice to have the choice to stain them yourself, and look at all the people who have GIK products that could upgrade them without having to sell and then buy again.

Thanks so much for the pictures and your impressions, your room is really nice looking and those speakers are a work of art. I'm just about to order my Alphas and Tri-traps so I'll post some pictures when I get them installed.

Greg

dpatters

« Reply #49 on: 27 Oct 2015, 05:16 pm »
Greg,

The wood color is very blonde and I think the fact that I got the off white cloth behind makes it look more so. I tried both orientations and couldn't hear the difference. I just liked the look of the horizontal plane. Thanks for the compliment on my speakers. You should see the finish in person :thumb:

I'll look forward to you post.

Don P.

advanced101

« Reply #50 on: 17 Nov 2015, 07:52 pm »
My room is 13' wide.  What would work better at the first reflection points,  Alpha 4A Panels or Q7D?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #51 on: 17 Nov 2015, 08:06 pm »
My room is 13' wide.  What would work better at the first reflection points,  Alpha 4A Panels or Q7D?

That is going to be personal preference, but if what was my room I would use the Alpha. Going to give you a bit of low end absorption and also help scatter the upper frequencies. Actually going to absorb bit of the upper also, but in a room that narrow it would be welcomed IMO.  :green:

advanced101

« Reply #52 on: 18 Nov 2015, 08:17 pm »
Great, thanks.  This is my Xmas Present.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #53 on: 25 Nov 2015, 01:17 am »
I dressed up my GIK Alpha 4's in carbon fiber. Sorry about the lighting.

I'll need to purchase a better flash at some point  :duh:

Best,

Anand.
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm by poseidonsvoice »

drummermitchell

« Reply #54 on: 25 Nov 2015, 01:56 am »
Glenn,
do you use OC 703 or 705 in the Alpha's(6")
THX.

Bill of NY

« Reply #55 on: 25 Nov 2015, 02:26 am »
Mitch off topic is that Dunnette yours? :thumb:

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #56 on: 25 Nov 2015, 06:15 pm »
Anand, These look really nice, much more modern looking than he wood.

I wish they would sell their corner traps with the scatter plate on the outside so they would match this new product.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #57 on: 25 Nov 2015, 07:15 pm »

I wish they would sell their corner traps with the scatter plate on the outside so they would match this new product.

Yes, I swear to you they look much better in person. My room doubles as a home theater as well (although it's only used once per month), so the lighting is purposely somewhat dim and you need to use a big flash, and I'm using the standard one. I'll probably have to borrow a better flash at somepoint.

Thanks!

Best,
Anand.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #58 on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:34 pm »
Glenn,
do you use OC 703 or 705 in the Alpha's(6")
THX.

We use the Knauf which is used in all of our products.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #59 on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:35 pm »

Give me about a week!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: