TPA 3116 listening tour?

rhing

Re: TPA 3116 listening tour?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2014, 03:39 am »
Since shadowlight donated a ChengZhi 2.0 TPA3116D2 amp, I will donate my time and spare parts and build a compact integrated amp with a volume potentiometer. Someone would have to donate a suitable power supply like a brick-type SMPS. If murphy11 is willing to organize a tour, this may give people a chance to hear the goodness of these amps. Please chime in soon if anyone is interested before I change my mind.

shadowlight

« Reply #21 on: 18 Apr 2014, 01:31 pm »
rhing,
I have a spare power supply (thinkpad power supply).  Murphy is close to where I live so I was planning to let him borrow the one that I have to play with.

rhing

« Reply #22 on: 18 Apr 2014, 02:23 pm »
Thanks shadowlight. Please give me about a week to put this amp into an enclosure and wire it up. It will be in stock form with a Panasonic EVJ volume pot. Please let me know the DC connector dimensions too. I have both 2.1mm x 5.5mm and 2.5mm x 5.5mm Switchcraft DC power connectors in my parts stash.

murphy11

« Reply #23 on: 18 Apr 2014, 03:31 pm »
Thanks to rhing, shadowlight and Salis for their willingness to help! I will monitor this thread and try to coordinate when we have something that is ready to 'tour'.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 18 Apr 2014, 05:09 pm »
Whatever conclusions one might come away with, keep in mind there are two different boards and a multitude of PS options. I started with the red board and Yuan Jing's 24V SMPS. For less than $40, it's a mind bender. Much better and more revealing than any vintage Marantz, HK, NAD etc...Two days ago I received this...

Same chip, different board, different PS and about twice the price at $88.

This is a completely different animal. As good as the red board is, and it is very good. This sounds much bigger and has more texture. The bottom end is very robust (Think First Watt F1) and the dynamic range is off the charts.  These observations come with less than 10 hours running time, so it's quite reasonable that the sound quality will only get better.

Regardless of ones budget, apart from power requirements, these amps are worth listening to.

http://www.yuan-jing.com/tpa3116-class-d-2-0-stereo-power-amplifier-50w-50w

Doublej

« Reply #25 on: 18 Apr 2014, 05:30 pm »
Whatever conclusions one might come away with, keep in mind there are two different boards and a multitude of PS options. I started with the red board and Yuan Jing's 24V SMPS. For less than $40, it's a mind bender. Much better and more revealing than any vintage Marantz, HK, NAD etc...Two days ago I received this...

Same chip, different board, different PS and about twice the price at $88.

This is a completely different animal. As good as the red board is, and it is very good. This sounds much bigger and has more texture. The bottom end is very robust (Think First Watt F1) and the dynamic range is off the charts.  These observations come with less than 10 hours running time, so it's quite reasonable that the sound quality will only get better.

Regardless of ones budget, apart from power requirements, these amps are worth listening to.

http://www.yuan-jing.com/tpa3116-class-d-2-0-stereo-power-amplifier-50w-50w

$43 in shipping charges to the US, ouch!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 18 Apr 2014, 06:30 pm »
$43 in shipping charges to the US, ouch!

Even if the shipping charges were $430, the sum total for such an extraordinary amplifier would still be a bargain.

rhing

« Reply #27 on: 18 Apr 2014, 09:21 pm »
Even if the shipping charges were $430, the sum total for such an extraordinary amplifier would still be a bargain.

I agree with you Wind Chaser. The $43 in shipping yields a total of $131 for a complete Class D amp with a built in power supply and wrapped up in a well-built anodized Aluminum chassis. I think the Trends TA-10.1 Tripath TA2024-based Class D amp costs almost double, doesn't put out as much bass, and distorts when you push it a bit. The only thing missing is the DIY aspect, but for those who aren't comfortable soldering and playing with AC power supplies, the Yuan Jing complete amp is a bargain.

Thanks to rhing, shadowlight and Salis for their willingness to help! I will monitor this thread and try to coordinate when we have something that is ready to 'tour'.

I will have the amp completed next weekend. The amp will be stock with the exception that I will add a Panasonic FM 2,200uF / 25V electrolytic cap at the power supply input terminals, and a Panasonic EVJ 50k volume pot. I still need shadowlight's input on the size of the DC power connector to insure the power supply cable plug will fit the jack on the amp's chassis. With the amp's ability to mute the turn-on / turn-off thumps, this should be a pretty solid amp.

trackball02

« Reply #28 on: 19 Apr 2014, 01:41 am »
I would love to join the tour. I have Zu Soul Superflys that are 16 ohm. Is this amp compatible with 16 ohm speakers?

rhing

« Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2014, 02:12 am »
Shadowlight should be able to answer your question about using Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

I'm almost done with the amp. I'll have to finish it later in the week. It sounds great.

murphy11

« Reply #30 on: 20 Apr 2014, 02:36 am »
That looks great. Really cool of you and others to step up and make it happen. :notworthy:

shadowlight

« Reply #31 on: 20 Apr 2014, 02:53 am »
I would love to join the tour. I have Zu Soul Superflys that are 16 ohm. Is this amp compatible with 16 ohm speakers?

The amp sounds great with ZU soul super fly and Omen Def.  I have the blue Yj board but have not compared  with my 805 set amp or run it with a tube preamp yet.  I am hoping to do the comparison sometime next weekend.

rhing

« Reply #32 on: 20 Apr 2014, 03:30 am »
It will look better inside and outside once I am finished. I'm adding an LED, power switch and knob. Should be good to go next weekend. Will you be the first to audition this?

rhing

« Reply #33 on: 26 Apr 2014, 09:16 pm »
The ChengZhi 2.0 TPA3116D2 amp is ready to go. Please let me know who should get this amp first.

shadowlight

« Reply #34 on: 26 Apr 2014, 11:08 pm »
Rhing,

Send it to me and I will put the power supply and get it to Murphy11.

OzarkTom

« Reply #35 on: 27 Apr 2014, 01:24 am »
Too bad no one here has a spare Ten Tec 937 or Asron SL11A linear power supply to send with the tour amp. This even sounds better than any battery, which beats any SMPS wall wart.

murphy11

« Reply #36 on: 27 Apr 2014, 03:08 am »
Rhing,

Send it to me and I will put the power supply and get it to Murphy11.
Shadowlight please do your own listening if at all possible with the tour amp. I'm pretty sure you own one which may be a different board but it might be nice for others to get your feedback.

All, I still need to work out the details of the tour with Rhing and Shadowlight. They generously donated their time, amp, and power supply so thanks to them!!!  I am outside of Philly and anticipate getting the amp sometime early to mid-May and can kick off the tour probably late May. I'm guessing the tour would start East Coast and work its way  towards the West Coast. Each person on  the tour would be responsible for shipping, insurance, packaging and sending amp to the next person on the tour.

Feel free to send me a PM including your location if you are interested in participating and I will post a tentative schedule later next month.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2014, 01:29 pm by murphy11 »

rhing

« Reply #37 on: 28 Apr 2014, 12:08 am »
This is my last day with the ChengZhi TPA3116 amp before sending it off to shadowlight. I have my Audio Research PH5 tube phono stage feeding directly into the ChengZhi amp, and it sounds great. It allows all the tube goodness I ahead of it to come through, so I'm getting a great holographic presentation with a huge soundstage and incredible detail.

I recently re-tubed my PH5 with Genelex Gold Lion 6922 reissues tested and matched by Jim McShane, and this combo sounds great spinning vinyl. I spent a good part of the afternoon cleaning a bunch of high quality vinyl I purchased from Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct including the Music Matters Blue Note 33 1/3 rpm reissues, the Analog Productions RCA Living Stereo reissues and some new Mobile Fidelity vinyl.

If you have a system that will make the most of this amp, you'll be treated to a smooth, noise-free amp with balanced tonality, a large soundstage and plenty of bass. I can't really compare my Yuan Jing TPA3116 blue amp to the ChengZhi as I use that amp strictly as a power amp feeding from my Audio Research LS7 tube line stage. With the LS7 ahead of the Yuan Jing, that combination sounds better, but not by as much a margin as one would expect.

shadowlight

« Reply #38 on: 8 May 2014, 01:29 pm »
Murphy, the tour amp was shipped out yesterday so you are likely to receive it tomorrow.

murphy11

« Reply #39 on: 8 May 2014, 03:58 pm »
rhing and shadowlight rock!  :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

I plan on measuring my current system again with REW\UMM6USB mike to get SPL plots and a base DB level and then measure with the tour amp to set DB to an equal level and measure. Don't expect to see any measurement anomalies but will do it anyway for curiosity sake. Source will be a laptop, Dragonfly latest DAC playing Spotify premium tracks and speakers will be ONIX mini stratas.

I have never compared amps before and have no preconceived biases. It will be really interesting to hear what differences if any I can hear in my system in my room. Really appreciate AC and the members sharing their time and equipment.

So far I have 1 person who has PM'ed me they are interested in hearing the amp. I was thinking each person on the tour could be responsible for and commit to insuring and shipping (maybe $100 insurance) the amp to the next person on the list. If you are interested in getting onto the listening tour please send me a PM with your name and address and I will try to plan out where and when the amp will travel. I'm thinking I can listen to the amp in the next couple of weeks and kick off the tour late May so please start sending me PMs so I can start planning.