BDP-2 Digital Player

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #620 on: 4 Mar 2014, 02:30 am »
Should be, I've tested a BDP-1 and BDP-2 together using the squeezebox server and client software(iphone).  I suppose should test it with our squeezebox touch.

Cheers
Chris

Xinon

« Reply #621 on: 21 Mar 2014, 08:22 pm »
Implementing the Sqeezeserver to the Bdp2 is great news  :thumb:
The Sqeezepad app is very good, can I use it to play from my soon to arrive Bdp2 ?

mr_bill

« Reply #622 on: 21 Mar 2014, 10:26 pm »
Should be, I've tested a BDP-1 and BDP-2 together using the squeezebox server and client software(iphone).  I suppose should test it with our squeezebox touch.

Cheers
Chris

Chris
Does this mean the BDP can replace my Touch and stream my music as well as Pandora and Rhapsody ( which the Touch does)?

mr_bill

« Reply #623 on: 26 Mar 2014, 02:57 pm »
Hi again - Chris?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #624 on: 26 Mar 2014, 11:34 pm »
Chris
Does this mean the BDP can replace my Touch and stream my music as well as Pandora and Rhapsody ( which the Touch does)?

Well I havn't had much of a chance the play with the squeezebox client app, but if squeezebox can do it this app should handle it.

Cheers
Chris

mr_bill

« Reply #625 on: 27 Mar 2014, 12:54 am »
Chris,
If I understand this correctly, I run the squeezebox app on my iphone like normal (how I use with my Touch) and in the players, I am able to select the BDP-1 instead of the Touch or Duet and I will be able to stream through the Bryston - accessing the squeezebox apps like pandora, access my files through squeezebox manager on my computer?

sfraser

« Reply #626 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:26 pm »
That is amazing!!! Now i have a legitimate reason to purchase a BDP!  ( I already have a 7-8 squeezboxzin's in various form factors) Chris what particular Squeezeserver S/W version are you writing the client for?

mikeyaya

« Reply #627 on: 2 Apr 2014, 10:53 pm »
So I just bought a BDP-2 and BDA 2 and will start ripping CD's. I have a Mac computer and will rip with Itunes, what is better AIFF or Apple Lossless.  I have experimented with both and the tagging of Lossless is much better and faster than AIFF.   I have not figured out what sounds better yet.    I really could care less about album artwork.    Should I rip with a Mac or should I buy a PC and use DB poweramp to rip.   I have 1500 CD's to rip and I do not want to do this twice.

For all the experienced guys here please advise.  Thanks 

drummermitchell

« Reply #628 on: 2 Apr 2014, 11:21 pm »
what I've gathered and what Chris recommended for me was DB Poweramp.
I ripped 540 cds(7,240)songs on a weekend.
Dbpoweramp is very user friendly and it tells you if certain tracks were ripped accurate or not and you can re rip the ones that are not.
That's without disrupting the set list you were ripping.
This was my first time getting into this side of digital and I do not miss my cdp.
I also use the BDA-2 and BDP-2 and I'm more than satisfied,especially for convenience and sound quality.
They say the DB is very good,and for me if the sound was any less than the cd I'd look for another ripper.
To me it is superb :thumb:.

Chris also recommended a Gigabit switch which makes ripping a lot faster.

Mag

« Reply #629 on: 3 Apr 2014, 12:26 am »
Don't forget when ripping to wav file use jitter correction, error correction with other software.
Takes about 20 minutes on average cd as opposed to 5 minutes or less, but the sound quality is noticeably better.

If your ripping to Flac or something else then I don't know, haven't used lossless compression.

sfraser

« Reply #630 on: 3 Apr 2014, 02:36 pm »
While ALAC and FLAC should sound identical, i would suggest ripping to FLAC,  as ALAC is an Apple proprietary format and FLAC is a open standard. In the long term FLAC should turn out to be more flexible, for playing on  non Apple devices (car stereo via USB thumb drive  for instance).Apple decided not to support the FLAC standard : ( apparently they know better  :roll:
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2014, 08:23 pm by sfraser »

mikeyaya

« Reply #631 on: 4 Apr 2014, 01:35 pm »
So does it make sense to buy a PC in order to use dbpoweramp ?  I only have a Mac at this time so I would need a PC.   Is the sound quality better with a PC ripping with dbpoweramp or a Mac ripping with iTunes Apple lossless ?    How long does it take for the bdp2 to break in ? 

drummermitchell

« Reply #632 on: 4 Apr 2014, 02:11 pm »
Why not just give Chris Rice a call(toll free)at Bryston.
No trial and error :thumb:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #633 on: 4 Apr 2014, 03:24 pm »
So does it make sense to buy a PC in order to use dbpoweramp ?  I only have a Mac at this time so I would need a PC.   Is the sound quality better with a PC ripping with dbpoweramp or a Mac ripping with iTunes Apple lossless ?    How long does it take for the bdp2 to break in ?

Hi Mike

You will get many different opinions on the quality of ripping programs but most are very similar and most people choose the one that meets their needs in terms of features and products owned.  I have both MAC and Windows systems and generally rip in AIFF in MAC and Wave or Flac Lossless in DB Poweramp.  I would not buy a PC computer just for ripping if you already have a MAC.

We torture test the BDP's at Bryston so there is not a lot of breakin required in my opinion although I have to admit things seem to sound better after a few days - may just be my imagination!!!!

Hope this helps

james

sfraser

« Reply #634 on: 4 Apr 2014, 08:33 pm »

I agree with James, it is  not worth buying a new computer just to rip. My point above was to indicate that one lossless format ALAC is proprietary while the other is an open standard. Both "should" sound identical as they are both  lossless. Ripping a music library can take a considerable amount time, best to pick a format that will be flexible enough for all your current and future applications so you don't have to trans code in the future.

Cheers,

RonCH

« Reply #635 on: 4 Apr 2014, 10:00 pm »
I agree with James, it is  not worth buying a new computer just to rip. My point above was to indicate that one lossless format ALAC is proprietary while the other is an open standard. Both "should" sound identical as they are both  lossless. Ripping a music library can take a considerable amount time, best to pick a format that will be flexible enough for all your current and future applications so you don't have to trans code in the future.

Cheers,

ALAC is now Open Source and available under the Apache Open Source license.  See http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/10/after-seven-years-apple-open-sources-its-apple-lossless-audio-codec/ and http://alac.macosforge.org/

sfraser

« Reply #636 on: 5 Apr 2014, 01:01 pm »
Exellent! Glad to see Apple do that. Thanks for posting RonCH. Do you know if other S/W are adopting ALAC?

Nice thing about standards......so many to choose from!.

Cheers

Scott

RonCH

« Reply #637 on: 7 Apr 2014, 03:44 pm »
Exellent! Glad to see Apple do that. Thanks for posting RonCH. Do you know if other S/W are adopting ALAC?

Nice thing about standards......so many to choose from!.

Cheers

Scott

From wikipedia:

The open source library libavcodec incorporates both a decoder and an encoder for Apple Lossless format, which means that media players based on that library (including VLC media player and MPlayer, as well as many media center applications for home theater computers, such as Plex, XBMC, and Boxee) are able to play Apple Lossless files. The library was subsequently optimized for ARM processors and included in Rockbox. foobar2000 will also play Apple Lossless files as will JRiver Media Center and BitPerfect.

ozzy

« Reply #638 on: 18 Apr 2014, 06:47 pm »
Help! Chris! I am getting error 09 again. Underneath it is 167
Nothing will play!
I've tried unplugging and resetting my router.

Xinon

« Reply #639 on: 18 Apr 2014, 09:47 pm »
Don't forget when ripping to wav file use jitter correction, error correction with other software.
Takes about 20 minutes on average cd as opposed to 5 minutes or less, but the sound quality is noticeably better.

If your ripping to Flac or something else then I don't know, haven't used lossless compression.

Would you please explain what other program you use for jitter correction .