vintage Dual TT questions

gnuyork

vintage Dual TT questions
« on: 16 Sep 2014, 05:19 pm »
I found some vintage TTs on Craigslist. Was wondering if anybody knows what would be the better turntable between a Dual CS 601 and a 1273.
I also found some others makes too, a Visonik, a Sansui SR-2050c, Miracord ELAC 40A Realistic.

Of all of these the the least expensive was the Dual CS601, by quite a bit.
Assuming all of these are in good condition which would be most suitable to get me going with Vinyl if I wanted to take a vintage route.

Thanks!

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: vintage Dual TT questions
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2014, 08:26 pm »
Hi,
I'd say either the 1273 or the Sansui.  Not sure which would be better.  The Realistic is an old changer (you can stack records), but it will play 78 if you want to really go vintage.

Check this out and read the user reviews:
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1237.shtml

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sansui/sr-2050.shtml

You'll probably need a new belt, oil the main bearing and clean the pulley.  Download the user and service manuals (need to join VE)  If you get the 2050 you can fill up most of the base with non-hardening modeling clay for more authoritative sound.   Just leave room for the motor to breathe.
Good luck,
neo

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2014, 09:07 pm »
My vote would be for the 601. (I don't like changers.) 12-series were all changers AFAIK. The 601 is a single play belt drive prior to the ultra-lo-mass tonearms. Check out this reference site which is useful for comparing Dual models. The site has specs, links for parts etc. Good luck.

brooklyn

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2014, 09:21 pm »
If you have a cartridge already you might want to consider if it will
mate well with the tonearm of the turntable you want to buy.

gnuyork

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2014, 09:23 pm »
If you have a cartridge already you might want to consider if it will
mate well with the tonearm of the turntable you want to buy.

I don't have anything right now, except one record a friend just gave to me over the weekend as incentive to get a turntable. I believe all TTs listed come with a cart. What shape they are in? I have no idea. All tables listed as good condition.

gnuyork

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2014, 09:26 pm »
By thew way, I mis-typed, it's the Dual 1237, and from my reading up, it's the 2nd version which I read is less desirable than the 1st version.

I am leaning towards the 601 from what I have been reading online about Duals. And it's the least expensive of the ones I listed ($75). All the others are $200-$250 except the Visonik ($99).

BrysTony

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2014, 05:12 pm »
I have a Dual 1229 that I bought new in ~1972.  For the 1st 10 years it got heavy use, then used sporadically for the next 30 years. I have been giving it a lot more play in the last 2 years.  Changed the cartridge a few times but that is all that has been done to it.  Works like new.  I have a high opinion of the old Dual turntables.

gnuyork

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2014, 10:34 pm »
Looks like I'm going for the 601. Can't beat the price of $75 for my entry into vinyl. Unless the seller sells it sooner (I hope not) I will pick it up on Saturday.

gnuyork

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2014, 12:55 am »
Well I picked up the 601 this Saturday from a craigslist seller - $75! The table is in great shape and came packaged in the original box with foam. There was some deteriorated foam to clean up on the dust cover and the top of the deck. I cleaned it up and did the Magic Eraser method to clean the stylus. I plugged it in and tested my one and only record a friend gave me this past Saturday for inspiration to get a turntable. I did have the dreaded motor speed issue, but after a second try all was right  - no big deal.

BTW the table came equipped with an Empire cart -  model 4000 DII. Not sure how that compares to something like the legendary Shure V15 (not that I have ever heard that cart, just read about it), but I though it sounded pretty good, if not just a tad bright compared to what I am used to for CD playback. This could be the record though, it's a recording I have never heard on any other source. It could also be my preamp (Adcom GTP 500II). I have never used the phono input, but I read the 500II is not the greatest phono pre.

Anyway, I am extremely excited about my foray into vinyl...now to buy some records!

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2014, 09:34 am »
Well I picked up the 601 this Saturday from a craigslist seller - $75! The table is in great shape and came packaged in the original box with foam. There was some deteriorated foam to clean up on the dust cover and the top of the deck. I cleaned it up and did the Magic Eraser method to clean the stylus. I plugged it in and tested my one and only record a friend gave me this past Saturday for inspiration to get a turntable. I did have the dreaded motor speed issue, but after a second try all was right  - no big deal.

BTW the table came equipped with an Empire cart -  model 4000 DII. Not sure how that compares to something like the legendary Shure V15 (not that I have ever heard that cart, just read about it), but I though it sounded pretty good, if not just a tad bright compared to what I am used to for CD playback. This could be the record though, it's a recording I have never heard on any other source. It could also be my preamp (Adcom GTP 500II). I have never used the phono input, but I read the 500II is not the greatest phono pre.

Anyway, I am extremely excited about my foray into vinyl...now to buy some records!

You chose well Gnu, and the vinyl gods have blessed your awakening.   You'll find your cart near the top of this page:
http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_database.php?m=Empire&sort=2&t=any&Search=Search&mod=&ovlo=&ovhi=&sty=&stid=&dclo=&dchi=&can=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=&page=50

Beware of magic eraser.  Easy to snag your stylus and lose it.  That one might be hard to replace. 

If it has been sitting, it will take awhile before it sounds right.  Clean records are a necessity.  Do you have a record cleaner? 

neo