Hey Jim...What's In Your System ?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« on: 26 Aug 2005, 03:55 am »
Hello Jim,
    First, I wanted to comment on the many different HT3's speakers you've built. Not a bad looking one in the bunch.... :rock: [/list:u]
      You really do an excellent job....a true craftsman !!!! :) [/list:u]
        So....I'm curious. If and when you have any time to listen to your system, what is in your system...equipement wise ? Thanks, I look forward to meeting you in Denver !!! :thumb: [/list:u]
          Chris[/list:u]

jsalk

« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2005, 12:52 pm »
Chris -

Thanks for the kind words.  Much appreciated.

Well, I don't have as much time to listen as I'd like, although I do like to listen as I work.

As for my equipment, you would not be all that impressed with most of it.  You would probably like my digital recording studio with computer-coltrolled, automated mixdown console.  It is by far the nicest audio toy I have.

But for listening and demoing, I prefer pretty run-of-the-mill stuff.  I don't want customers to get the idea that high-end source gear is responsible for the sound quality.  So I don't use anything too exotic.

My amps include a Bryston 4B, Jolida 202A, Panasonic XR-45 and ATI 2006 (6-channel for the HT3a's).  I also have a number of Tripath 300-watt digital amp modules that I have not had time to design amps around (but hope to in the not-too-distant future).

CD/DVD/SACD players include Philips, Sony and Denon.  

Other audio-related equipment includes outboard DAC's.

Inner-connects are DIY with a variety of wires and connectors including Cardas Crosslink II and Canare.

Speaker cables are primarily generic 12-guage OFC copper wire - nothing fancy.

Now, my recording studio is another matter.  I have quite a bit of high-end gear in it.  For example, all of the digital components are sync'ed by a master outboard digital clock.  Almost all of the equipment is remote-controllable by computer - processors, samplers, sythesizers, limter/compressors, etc. and, of course, the console itself.

The only problem with this studio is that the floor is convered by batches of veneer - I have no other place to store it as it has to be laid out flat.

My lower level is a walk-out that has this recording studio and a home theater.  Before I started building speakers, this was my playroom.  It used to be a real nice.  Now it is totally trashed with piles of wood and speaker cabinets and in every stage of construction everywhere.

I guess it is about time to get another facility for speaker building.  It is quickly getting out-of-hand.

- Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2005, 03:33 pm »
Thank you Jim for your reply !!!
    As for my equipment, you would not be all that impressed with most of it. You would probably like my digital recording studio with computer-coltrolled, automated mixdown console. It is by far the nicest audio toy I have.
    [/list:u]
      That sounds like a great "toy" !!!![/list:u]
        Hope you get some time to use it, but I understand time is hard to come by....thanks ![/list:u]
          Chris[/list:u]

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
      • http://www.avahifi.com
    « Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2005, 12:53 pm »
    Greetings Jim,

This message is to bug you to get that Transcendence Five preamp back to us for repair and upgrade to a Transcendence Eight as soon as you can (no charge of course).

It will serve two useful functions.  First we need to see a T5 to upgrade so we can figure out how much it will cost us to do and how much a fair price will be to charge customers for the upgrade.  Second, I think you are going to like it and we need to get that kit built unit working properly for you.

Frank Van Alstine

ship to:
    Audio by Van Alstine, Inc.
    2665 Brittany Lane
    Woodbury, MN 55125

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2005, 01:09 pm »
    Frank -

Thanks for the reminder.  I will try to get it packed up and on its way today.

- Jim

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    Hi Jim
    « Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2005, 12:59 am »
    We received your Transcendence Five preamp.  Boy is the chassis beat up from that broadside!

I have salvaged and rebuilt the circuit board into a Transcendence Eight, but we are going to move it to a new chassis already pinned out for the remote control and new gold contact switches as it will be too labor intensive to salvage yours as it needs a new cover and faceplate too.

No charge for the upgrades, repairs, and new chassis, but we will need to charge you for the remote control option.

Give me a call at 651-330-9871 with a Visa or Mastercard number for that.

We hope to ship it back to you early next week so you will have time to give it a good listen and take it with you to the Denver show if it meets your approval.

Thanks

Frank Van Alstine

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2005, 02:15 am »
    Frank -

Thanks.

Yes, I was broadsided coming off the Silver Lake Road exit on I-94, about two blocks east of where my uncle once owned a drug store.  You should have seen my car!  The entire passenger side of the vehicle was caved in.  Lucky no one was riding with me at the time or they would have been in bad shape.

The accident happened around August 1st, 2003, and we weren't able to get the car back until we traveled home to Minnesota for the holidays.  

I'm glad to hear you were able to sort it all out.  Thanks very much for your help.

I'll call you tomorrow.

- Jim

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    Your preamp shipped
    « Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2005, 10:18 am »
    Your Transcendence Eight preamp with remote control shipped yesterday, September 20th, via insured UPS 3-Day service.

You will get it on Friday.

I will be looking forward to your comments.

Frank Van Alstine

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2005, 12:51 pm »
    Frank -

Thanks very much for your great work.  I am looking forward to getting it back in my system (been going through withdrawal while it was gone.

I'll let you know how it works out.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2005, 02:42 am »
    Frank -

I received the pre yesterday and set it up last night.  I really missed not having it around while you worked on it.  

You did a wonderful job with it!  It sounds absolutely stunning and I am really glad to have it back.  I will be taking it to RMAF, that is for certain.

It allows me to have my cake and eat it too - that wonderful tube sound with solid state amplification - the best of both worlds.  I can only imagine how much better it would be with your DAC and one of your amps!

Thanks very much!  And, by the way, the remote is comething I am going to really enjoy...

- Jim

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2005, 12:34 pm »
    Thanks for the nice comments. I hope the Transcendence Eight is useful to you at the show.  Note that it is all vacuum tube, no solid state buffers in this model (except for the headphone drivers).  The new Ultra hybrid series has mos-fet devices in the feedback loop for higher current drive yet, and in comparision, sounds a bit more focused.

As you know, I am really looking forward to auditioning your speakers.  I have heard so much "great press" about them from many sources.  About the only nit picts I have heard was a few comments of them being a bit "forward" in the highs on some kinds of music in some setups.  Did the Transcendence Eight "fix" that?  If so it would suggest the nits were not with your speakers but with the user's driving electronics.

If you would like an amp and a DAC maybe we could work out some kind of trade.

Frank Van Alstine

zybar

• Volunteer
    • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
    « Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2005, 01:20 pm »
    Quote from: avahifi
    Thanks for the nice comments. I hope the Transcendence Eight is useful to you at the show.  Note that it is all vacuum tube, no solid state buffers in this model (except for the headphone drivers).  The new Ultra hybrid series has mos-fet devices in the feedback loop for higher current drive yet, and in comparision, sounds a bit more focused.

As you know, I am really looking forward to auditioning your speakers.  I have heard so much "great press" about them from many sources.  About the only nit picts I ...

I realize everybody has their own definition of what is forward, bright, etc... but IMHO, Jim's speakers are none of that.

What they do is pass along whatever information they are fed.  To me this has been fantastic and is one of the reasons that Jim's speakers have proven to be the best I have owned and one of the best I have heard period!!

Feed it a highly compressed, poorly recorded rock cd from the 80's and it will sound like a highly compressed, poorly recorded rock cd from the 80's.  

For some this isn't what they are looking for and they should move towards speakres that are less accurate and true in their presentation.

Having owned Frank's Transcendence Seven preamp, I am sure that it will be a nice match with Jim's speakers.

In less than a week I will be able to hear it for myself.  :-)

George

koiman

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2005, 05:25 pm »
    I have been spending a lot of time in the last two day's with my new HT3 and I fully agree with Zybar if you have a poorly recorded CD or heavy compressed one it just isn't real intriguing to listen to, but put on a good CD and you are in heaven these speakers just bring everything to life and the speakers just seem to disappear as the music flows. I don't know how much difference the Sonic cap's make over the stock HT3 but these guy's are keepers for sure..
    Lee :P