External Drives

Don_S

External Drives
« on: 12 Aug 2013, 04:09 pm »
Is there any innate advantage in how an external drive is powered?  My question concerns external drives that are called portable (powered via USB) vs those that have their own power supply.

Is one quieter?  More durable? I can see a drive with an external power supply puts less demand on whatever it is attached to. On the other hand I kind of like the idea of a portable that is only on when the attached device is on. I think some of the self-powered models go into sleep mode when the attached device is turned off. Since equipment specs don't list that feature is it fairly standard

Also portable drives do not require a separate power cord and place to set the PS box. I really, really, need more stuff in my rack.  :roll:

OK, what type, brand, model are you guys using?

Phil A

Re: External Drives
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2013, 04:18 pm »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2013, 04:34 pm »
I've got a mix- Buffalo portable, Seagate, & Western Digital. Other than dropping a wall wart when travelling, & physical size (the plain externals are generally larger) I can't say I've experienced much difference. There is the consideration that the USB power supply of the computer may have limits, ie it will only adequately power 'x' number of USB powered devices. I did run into that with my old Dell laptop which now serves as a music server. Given the limited USB ports I had to add a PCMCIA (?) card and it required a wart as the computer didn't have enough juice to drive it. That Dell dates from around '96 so newer units probably have a more robust supply, but it may be a consideration. No expert here, just offered fwiw.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2013, 12:11 am »
Hey Don.

I've got a 2TB WD USB External HDD that I've had for a few years that runs my main music system. It does require an walwart and is fanless and dead quiet. It's about the size of four DVD cases stacked on each other. I've drop it a few times, formatted it, loaded it up, a few times..etc...etc... and it's been flawless since day one. The extra software they have to go along with it, I feel is too fluffy and un-necessary, so I just run it as a "dumb" external drive. I would buy another one if it failed today.

I've got a 750GB pocket sized WD "My Passport" that plugs into my USB input of my truck. It is powered by the USB and is fanless and dead quiet. It's about the size of a deck of cards, just a tad wider.
That HDD takes the brunt of each and every pothole I run over, the 100+ temperatures on a hot summer day when the truck is closed up, and zero degree winter days and has never given me a single glitch. It's been in service since I installed it in in >THIS THREAD< seventeen months ago. If it can handle "the road", it should handle a room in an audiophiles house.  :lol:

For backups, (because they don't look pretty and would be very unsightly on the desk) I have several SATA (internal PC) drives. I dock them into a "Diablotek" unit ($25) that turns it into the same thing as an external drive. It's VERY convientient. Plus, if you've got any old SATA drives laying around, they can be used for daily duty.
Here's a Google photo of the dock. Not sure what's up with the middle finger though.  :scratch:
He's covering the USB jack, and pointing at the power button.

Hope that helps Don.  :D

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2013, 01:24 am »
My own experience is I bought a Seagate 500GB external. I used it about 10 to 15 times and it died on me. I've bought a couple of WD My Passports (500GB/1TB) and they work fine.

Who knows? Others' experiences could be opposite of mine. I just use them as backups.

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2013, 01:28 am »
Thanks guys,

I have an older WD 350GB that I use for backup on my computer.  It has an external PS but it powers up and down with the computer. It also has a power button on the front and a light ring around the button.  The power switch is not an immediate kill.  It stops the drive properly and allows for disconnecting.

I am not seeing that feature on the new WD and Seagate drives. Seems like they are meant to run 24/7. In fact the Seagate I looked at did not have a power switch.  The WD now has the switch on the rear but it only works when WD software is installed on the computer.  I want to use it as a "dumb" drive like Bob does.

I was thinking that a portable drive (USB powered) might be the way to go for auto shut off with the computer but I am not sure if they also have a manual safe off switch.  Reading the Bryston BDP-2 online manual also throw a wrench in the works by suggesting that 1TB and larger drives be self-powered.

I want a drive like my old WD-- with a safe stop switch so I can be in control.  Preferably 2TB.  Intended use--music files and quickly portable (physically relocate) between my computer and future music server.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2013, 01:41 am »
I didn't give you enough info Don.....sorry....here's some more....

The "active"* WD does have a power switch. I've never used it, and it does shut down (automatically) when it see the unit it's connected to shut down. If you'd like, I'll find out what it does when I hit the power button. Lemme know.

The "passive"* WD portable drive: Does not have a power switch. It shuts down when the truck shuts off, since that's its source of power. In a conventional setting (like a home), I guess it would depend on whether the USB jack of your PC goes dead, or stays 'hot' after shut down. I don't know what it would do if it saw the unit it was connected to go to "sleep". I can find out, if you'd like.

Not sure I've ever seen a 1TB 'passive' portable, but I've never looked, honestly.

* I used the term active and passive like we would in the speaker world. Meaning self powered or relies on being powered.
I hope that's understandable.

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2013, 02:19 am »
Bob,

Thanks.  Yes, I get active vs passive. Active is a self-powered desktop and portables are USB powered.

The WD desktop interests me but the WD site seems to says it only auto shuts off if software is installed on the computer. Somewhat confusing description of how it works.  I do not want auto backup and that is what the software is for.  That would be a disaster especially if I move it between two computers and one is my main with pics and stuff.  This drive would be music only.  I want a drive that is dumb like me. And just does what I tell it to do when I tell it. No freewill. Iron fist and all that.  :lol:

Dare you try the power switch?  Are you feeling lucky?  The manual says the power switch does not work if software is not installed on the computer.

I tried to copy/paste from the manual but could not figure out how to do it in PDF.  I can select but then cannot copy  it. Page 9 http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705053.pdf

I didn't give you enough info Don.....sorry....here's some more....

The "active"* WD does have a power switch. I've never used it, and it does shut down (automatically) when it see the unit it's connected to shut down. If you'd like, I'll find out what it does when I hit the power button. Lemme know.

The "passive"* WD portable drive: Does not have a power switch. It shuts down when the truck shuts off, since that's its source of power. In a conventional setting (like a home), I guess it would depend on whether the USB jack of your PC goes dead, or stays 'hot' after shut down. I don't know what it would do if it saw the unit it was connected to go to "sleep". I can find out, if you'd like.

Not sure I've ever seen a 1TB 'passive' portable, but I've never looked, honestly.

* I used the term active and passive like we would in the speaker world. Meaning self powered or relies on being powered.
I hope that's understandable.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2013, 12:26 pm »
Well, since you "double dawg dared me',   :lol: I'll give it a shot tonight.
I know the big WD shuts off when the power shuts off, cause I've seen it happen. But I've never tried to kill it manually.
Years ago, before I knew exactly what the software was for, I let WD have total reign. Turns out, it loads the software on some kind of phantom mysterious drive D:  :scratch:
But it's now on my 'always on' music server. I turn it off occasionally, just to give it a re-boot, and the WD will shut down momentarily while that happens.

I'll letcha know tonight what happens.   :thumb:

Bob

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2013, 02:42 pm »
For my PVR, I need to use an external drive that does not shut down.  I use a drive toaster, with a power switch.  It runs 24/7.

For my music server, I use an external Seagate with a power switch, but not a toaster.  I am not sure if it ever shuts down or not, I have not spent the time staring at it!

I considered a portable drive (one with no power switch, or outboard PS) but the cost kept me at bay.

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2013, 04:04 pm »
"Toaster"?

For my PVR, I need to use an external drive that does not shut down.  I use a drive toaster, with a power switch.  It runs 24/7.

For my music server, I use an external Seagate with a power switch, but not a toaster.  I am not sure if it ever shuts down or not, I have not spent the time staring at it!

I considered a portable drive (one with no power switch, or outboard PS) but the cost kept me at bay.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2013, 04:14 pm »
"Toaster" is the affectionate term used for the SATA dock.
The drive goes in from the top, and inserts like a piece of bread into a toaster.
Marks talking about the type of unit I showed in the above photo.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2013, 01:44 am »
I pushed the button on the 2TB 'active' WD and nothing happened.
I tried again, but held it depressed for several seconds and it still stayed on.

That doesn't really bother me much, since there's no reason to turn it off, since the 'always on' music server is....well....always on.
Plus, if I need to take it somewhere, I just pull the plug and carry it off.

Hope that helps Don,
Bob  :D

Don_S

« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2013, 03:09 am »
Bob,

Thank You.  That was very helpful. 

That cinches my decision.  Seagate Backup Plus Desktop 2TB $100.  It shuts itself off when what it is connected to is shut off. No switch but the WD switch does not work when the drive is used in the "dumb" mode like I plan so no advantage to the WD.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2013, 12:31 pm »
Good deal. Glad I could help.  :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2013, 12:12 am »
Ooop. a little late to the party. I was traveling and working.

The external WD usb 1TB drive stays on and you don't have to use the auto-backup. I don't. Stays on with the computer but you can pull it out anytime - though you should close all connected and use the "safely remove hardware" feature/icon.