Computer Remote Control Programs

Don_S

Computer Remote Control Programs
« on: 22 Jul 2016, 07:59 pm »
I am looking for a new, free remote control program to control the computer/music server connected to my audio system. 

TeamViewer is only allowing a trial on my new controlling computer. 

I decided to try LogMeIN but the LogMeIn website insists on updating Java and then won't proceed when I select "update".  The message disappears and then reappears every time I select "update". The site freezes and I have to go to the Task Manager program to exit.  I could probably go into programs and update Java from there but the experience has turned me off of LogMeIn.  I have no confidence in it now.  In addition, I had problems with it in the past.  I installed it on both computers but it did not work.

Suggestions appreciated. 

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Computer Remote Control Programs
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2016, 09:36 pm »
I need to follow this thread as I've used both of the apps you mentioned and both left me wanting better. Maybe I just need to breakdown and pay for one...naw

Tubeburner

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2016, 10:17 pm »
Teamviewer is free for home use. You just select for home use only. I have used it for a couple years.

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2016, 10:36 pm »
Teamviewer is free for home use. You just select for home use only. I have used it for a couple years.

I did that but it did not seem to matter.  I have also been using TeamViewer for years on another computer with no problems.  For some reason it took offense to my new computer.

Tubeburner

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2016, 10:50 pm »
Did you log in to your account and add the new computer or start a new account. Teamviewer should accept the new computer. I would contact them.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2016, 01:58 am »
Nomachine nx

moboman

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2016, 02:46 am »
If you do not need to control the computer from somewhere else on the internet, switch to VNC.
http://www.tightvnc.com/ is free and open source.

jpm

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2016, 04:04 am »
If your computer music server runs Windows, use RDP (remote Desktop Protocol) built in to the OS. There are both Windows and Mac clients to control it.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2016, 05:31 am »
Remote Desktop is only available in Pro versions of Windows and is not available in Home versions. 

Although Home versions have Remote Assistance, they're not the same and RA requires issuing an invitation via email, IM, Easy Connect or saved RA Invitation file, requiring the other computer to respond to the request.

I use TightVNC and it works well between all versions of Windows, from Vista to 10, Home or Pro.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2016, 03:00 pm »
I have tried TightVNC twice and can't get it to work.  Major pain and waste of time.

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2016, 03:05 pm »
I can't help wondering what you are trying to do exactly...? If it's to remote-control a music player, then use one that has remote control ability (e.g. dedicated app)?

For the times when you need access to the full OS for some reason, I also would have suggested VNC... although I'm not a regular windows user it's fairly widespread... I would guess there are commercial versions available. Or just get a cheap keyboard and screen for those occasions.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2016, 03:56 pm »
I use nomachine for my headless linux box.  Nomachime turns your tablet into a wireless monitor and keyboard/mouse basically.  I use it when im not ssh'ing into the box.

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2016, 04:10 pm »
I have tried TightVNC twice and can't get it to work.  Major pain and waste of time.

Sounds like it would be a lot easier for you to be on the Apple platform of products...

What's the configuration of what you are running that is troublesome?

What I am about to say is controversial but...you might want to make sure that you have completely uninstalled TeamViewer and TightVNC from your machine, run a registry cleaner (or two) and then try reinstalling. Best practice is of courser to take a system snapshot (assuming it's Windows) and do a backup before this.