Eero Router

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Eero Router
« on: 8 Feb 2015, 12:43 pm »
I think I'm going to preorder the 3-pack and an extra so my house will have proper coverage.  It looks too good to pass up.  Mesh Network!

https://www.eero.com/

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Eero Router
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2015, 12:46 pm »
Saw this the other day...looks very interesting.

Get in now, because prices will go up substantially after this pre-order period.

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2015, 12:49 pm »
Saw this the other day...looks very interesting.

Get in now, because prices will go up substantially after this pre-order period.

George
Yes, without the preorder it makes it something a bit more worry-some. 

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2015, 02:41 pm »
What if you don't have dead zones or buffering?  To me, this seems like a lot of money for not much return. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2015, 02:48 pm »
What if you don't have dead zones or buffering?  To me, this seems like a lot of money for not much return.
If what you have works then you're fine for needs today. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2015, 03:26 pm »

You don't buy it.   :scratch:

You should only need a product like this in large and/or multi-floor houses.

I know that in my current house I can't use a single router centrally located to provide a strong signal everywhere.  So I am using multiple routers/extenders to meet my needs.  When you add up all of the cost, the new Eero solution (at its introductory price) is very competitive.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2015, 03:32 pm »
Here is an article on CNET that explains things quite well:

http://www.cnet.com/news/startup-eero-hopes-to-wipe-out-weak-wi-fi/

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2015, 10:33 pm »
If anyone is going to pre-order feel free to use my code to help me out.   :D
« Last Edit: 19 May 2015, 03:09 pm by jtwrace »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2015, 09:12 pm »
Just got this email:

eero supporters,

It’s hard to believe we
announced our company and pre-order just a week ago today. The reception has been nothing short of overwhelming. By noon last Thursday, we had passed $1,000,000 in sales.

It wouldn't have happened without all of you.

In order to ship to our earliest supporters as soon as possible, we’ve decided to limit our discounted pre-order pricing. The change isn't immediate. Pre-order pricing of $125 for a single eero and $299 for a 3-pack will remain in effect until this Sunday, February 15th, at 11:59pm PST. After that, prices will go up to $199 for a single eero or $499 for a 3-pack. Pre-orders submitted after February 15th at regular pricing will still ship before general availability units — in the order they were received.

We're going heads-down to execute on our promise to you, but we'll periodically update you via email and
on our blog.

Thank you for your support,[/size][/font]

[/size]-Nick[/color]

tvyankee

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2015, 10:59 pm »
Hey Guys

What I don't understand about this product is why is it any better then any other access point system?

I mean I can't even tell what they are using for bridgING radios or what speed is claimed. I mean is it Ac or N or what ? typically bridging is not that great and the speed is worst.

Maybe this thing will be great. I guess we will see.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2015, 12:09 am »
Hey Guys

What I don't understand about this product is why is it any better then any other access point system?

I mean I can't even tell what they are using for bridgING radios or what speed is claimed. I mean is it Ac or N or what ? typically bridging is not that great and the speed is worst.

Maybe this thing will be great. I guess we will see.
Mesh Network. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2015, 12:27 am »
I haven't watched any videos; we have a finished basement under 2/3 of the house (adult sons' hangouts, etc) which has been wifi intolerant.  Does one put a Eero at the top of the stairs or something?  Is there a strength indicator to hep position 3 of them for best meshing?

Edit: spent some time on the site, etc.  Nice.  I am pre-ordering.  Thanks Jason, for the heads up here and on CA.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2015, 12:50 am »
I haven't watched any videos; we have a finished basement under 2/3 of the house (adult sons' hangouts, etc) which has been wifi intolerant.  Does one put a Eero at the top of the stairs or something?  Is there a strength indicator to hep position 3 of them for best meshing?

Edit: spent some time on the site, etc.  Nice.  I am pre-ordering.  Thanks Jason, for the heads up here and on CA.
Yes the app on your phone will help you place them.  Please use my pre-order code.  :-)

tvyankee

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2015, 02:28 am »
I understand it's mesh but that really doesn't mean much . This product has not been tested by any outside testing site or people and most if not all wireless is nothing as it claims to be. I mean I hope it's the next best thing to canned beer but until it is really tested it's just high hopes. Most if not all wireless devices are riddled with problems.

I don't want to sound like a Debbie downer but I think at the end of the day it will be just as good or not as anything else out there.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2015, 02:31 am »
I understand it's mesh but that really doesn't mean much . This product has not been tested by any outside testing site or people and most if not all wireless is nothing as it claims to be. I mean I hope it's the next best thing to canned beer but until it is really tested it's just high hopes. Most if not all wireless devices are riddled with problems.

I don't want to sound like a Debbie downer but I think at the end of the day it will be just as good or not as anything else out there.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion.  It is being tested in various homes around the country already though.  Also, the technology is already proven just in an enterprise grade hardware.  This company has brilliant minds behind it and I don't worry one bit.  Could there be teething issues at first?  Sure, I'm fine with that though.  I've done it so many times now it doesn't phase me.  I'll take the 40% savings and be very happy in a short amount of time (worst case). 

tvyankee

« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:50 am »
Hey.

What tests and who are these people and what do they know? It's not that I'm am looking to get into it but it just doesn't make sense.  I hope that it's great like I said before but from research and I'm not sure it's going to be any better then any other thing out there.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:57 am »
Hey.

What tests and who are these people and what do they know? It's not that I'm am looking to get into it but it just doesn't make sense.  I hope that it's great like I said before but from research and I'm not sure it's going to be any better then any other thing out there.
ok.

Doublej

« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2015, 12:04 pm »
Lots of people in this world want or need plug and play.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2015, 12:22 pm »
Lots of people in this world want or need plug and play.
True.  Some of us also like new technology that has been proven in an enterprise setting that is now available at a reasonable cost to a consumer.   :)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2015, 01:48 pm »
Hey.

What doesn't make sense?

From my viewpoint this package is offering a plug and play distributed WiFi solution vs. buying multiple WiFi routers and/or access points/extenders and making it all work together (like I currently have).

As long as the performance is at least equal to my current solution I think this would be a viable offering.

Again, this solution isn't needed for a large portion of people out there.

George