Synchro-Mesh reclocker reviews

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Synchro-Mesh reclocker reviews
« Reply #160 on: 10 Mar 2013, 07:06 pm »
Hey Steve, would you be open to measuring a simple RCA or BNC connector with something around a 75 ohm resistor soldered in it?

audioengr

« Reply #161 on: 10 Mar 2013, 07:17 pm »
Hey Steve, would you be open to measuring a simple RCA or BNC connector with something around a 75 ohm resistor soldered in it?

I could.  I would expect this to really screw-up the impedance though.  I have some 50 ohm terminators that I can try.

Steve N.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #162 on: 10 Mar 2013, 11:13 pm »
Perfect! Thanks Steve

rdsu

« Reply #163 on: 13 Mar 2013, 10:20 am »
Good possibility.  I would not use the attenuator in the BNC position and the cable in the other position.  I would just use the attenuator on the cable.

Steve N.
More info about this: Reflections and attenuators

Fozzy

« Reply #164 on: 17 Mar 2013, 09:13 pm »
Re upgrading power supplys for SM:

I bought a Teddy 12/2 PSU from Teddy Pardo in Israel (I also have his DAC) at Christmas.  Cost is around $359 + VAT + shipping. 

http://teddypardo.com/Products/Power%20Supplies/Teddy12.html

The difference from the Wall Wart supply was not at all subtle and the build quality and finish are excellent.

There is some info on the internals at Teddy's website here:

http://teddypardo.com/Products/Power%20Supplies/PSU-Detailed.html

And some more detail about his TeddyReg - the regulator at the heart of his PSUs here:

http://teddypardo.com/Resources/TeddyReg.html

He usually has stock and ships quickly - I am in the UK and it takes < 2 weeks.

sugarman88

« Reply #165 on: 18 Mar 2013, 04:33 am »
I have ordered a Paul Hynes PSU for my SM in last June, but still not ready to ship after 9 months....... :evil:

JBNY

« Reply #166 on: 18 Mar 2013, 04:19 pm »
Re upgrading power supplys for SM:

I bought a Teddy 12/2 PSU from Teddy Pardo in Israel (I also have his DAC) at Christmas.  Cost is around $359 + VAT + shipping. 

Did you have to have him change out the standard connector, or was the 5.5mm external 2.5mm internal fine?

Thanks

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #167 on: 18 Mar 2013, 08:33 pm »
I have ordered a Paul Hynes PSU for my SM in last June, but still not ready to ship after 9 months....... :evil:

That is not very comforting at all.... I ordered mine early January, with a 60 day wait time, and I cannot even get a response telling me that my money was confirmed...... I've asked with very understanding and very kind emails, and nothing.. I guess I'll just keep waiting like you are.

Fozzy

« Reply #168 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:25 pm »
Hi All

The Teddy PSU ships with a high quality DC lead fitted with a 2.5mm jack that works fine with Steve's SM.

Teddy is great to deal with and always happy to respond to questions.  His DAC got some great reviews in the UK HiFi press - praised for its natural and fatigue-free listening experience.

Fozzy

Fozzy

« Reply #169 on: 19 Mar 2013, 04:33 pm »
Steve - would this Canare BNC Resistive Terminator be worth trying to cap the unused BNC output on the SM?

http://www.canford.co.uk/ProductResources/ig/4092.pdf

Fozzy

audioengr

« Reply #170 on: 19 Mar 2013, 06:28 pm »
Steve - would this Canare BNC Resistive Terminator be worth trying to cap the unused BNC output on the SM?

http://www.canford.co.uk/ProductResources/ig/4092.pdf

Fozzy

This will have an entirely different effect from the stub of an adapter plug.  I would not do this.  IT creates a line that is terminated with 37.5 ohms.  Too low.

Steve N.

cooch

« Reply #171 on: 21 Mar 2013, 06:31 pm »
Does anyone use the Enhance Audio Output plug-in for SBT? I was wondering how this plug-in would sound without using the SM compared to using the SBT with a SM....or maybe even using the plug-in with the SM together? thanks

wikeeboy

« Reply #172 on: 29 Mar 2013, 12:10 pm »
Has anyone tried a W4S modded Sonos vs a stock Sonos through the SM?

I have a SM and am about to buy a Sonos to feed it. I know of a 2nd hand w4s modded Sonos for sale that I can buy below the cost of a new non modded Sonos so am likely to buy the w4s one..

As long as the SQ of the w4s Sonos is not worse through the SM than a stock Sonos I will save money and buy the modded unit!

I'd greatly appreciate any advice and opinions.

Thanks

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #173 on: 29 Mar 2013, 01:36 pm »
The SMR improved everything I plugged into it, even a nice transport. Besides that, Steve gives you a trial period, so to speak. Get to know your Sonus, then try out the SMR. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

wikeeboy

« Reply #174 on: 29 Mar 2013, 08:13 pm »
Thanks for the reply Paul!

I already have the Synchro Mesh. Just not sure whether is hould buy a new Sonos Connect or the modded W4S Sonos ZP90 for the same money. The W4S is double the price yet i can buy 2nd hand for the same as a new non modded connect. Makes sense to go the W4S but not if the sound with the SM will be worse!

ozzy

« Reply #175 on: 7 Apr 2013, 05:55 pm »
I just sold my Synchro Mesh. Everything sounds better without it.

audioengr

« Reply #176 on: 8 Apr 2013, 12:37 am »
I just sold my Synchro Mesh. Everything sounds better without it.

Some of these earlier units degrade over time because the drivers get faster and create more transmission-line problems with the original output transformers.  Changing the transformer to the OT mod fixes this and it's usually even better.

Steve N.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #177 on: 8 Apr 2013, 04:13 am »
You really should have emailed Steve. He stands in front of and behind this product. When working correctly, it should not degrade any transport you plug into it.

livengood1

« Reply #178 on: 8 Apr 2013, 08:23 pm »
Two points I'd like to make in reply to Ozzie's post. First, I think it was unethical for him to resell the SM, knowing that it would deteriorate the SQ of the purchaser's system. It should have been returned to Empirical and replaced under warranty. The second point is that it is scary that these units would deteriorate so quickly. I took my SM out and checked, and it still sounds way better when it's in there, but I think it should stay that way for a long time. Steve's response was "Some of these earlier units degrade over time because the drivers get faster and create more transmission-line problems with the original output transformers.  Changing the transformer to the OT mod fixes this and it's usually even better." If that is the case, and all of our SMs will deteriorate that quickly, they should be recalled and fixed, free of charge. Just saying.

audioengr

« Reply #179 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:00 am »
Two points I'd like to make in reply to Ozzie's post. First, I think it was unethical for him to resell the SM, knowing that it would deteriorate the SQ of the purchaser's system. It should have been returned to Empirical and replaced under warranty. The second point is that it is scary that these units would deteriorate so quickly. I took my SM out and checked, and it still sounds way better when it's in there, but I think it should stay that way for a long time. Steve's response was "Some of these earlier units degrade over time because the drivers get faster and create more transmission-line problems with the original output transformers.  Changing the transformer to the OT mod fixes this and it's usually even better." If that is the case, and all of our SMs will deteriorate that quickly, they should be recalled and fixed, free of charge. Just saying.

Here is the deal: I discovered that these transformers vary somewhat, so some of them work really well for the life of the product.  Other transformers cause higher jitter than I would like to see either initially or after break-in.  Even the ones with higher jitter are still in the hundreds of picoseconds, so this is not as high as most transports and its certainly not a functional issue. 

I just want to deliver the best performance possible with my products and it's unpleasant when some transformers hold it back.  This is a lot like manufacturing a car with certain spark plugs in it and then discovering that the performance is better and more uniform and predictable with another spark plug.  Automakers don't recall the car for this.  They usually don't even change to the new spark plug. If you are really really lucky, they will tell you about the better spark plug so you can change it yourself.

Steve N.