Stylus-groove drag force (aka anti skating)

jschwenker

Stylus-groove drag force (aka anti skating)
« on: 27 Mar 2017, 04:04 am »
For engineering purposes, interested in seeing some detailed write-ups.  Can anyone point out some sources that aim to quantify things beyond the plain old coefficient of friction, might deal with the effects of local vinyl deformation around typical stylus shapes, and maybe even venture into increased drag in highly modulated groove passages?  (kinda curious about the whole enchilada, man)  Thanks a 10^6!!  John

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Stylus-groove drag force (aka anti skating)
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2017, 09:00 am »
I assume the information is for setting anti skate bias correctly.  It's a fool's errand because it can never be set correctly, the required force changes dynamically across the width of the record.  You can only approximate the average force and that is best set by ear.  I would use piano recordings starting at about half of the tracking force and listen for the height of the image to be at its maximum.  You can then hear how that changes with different tracks on the record, I would go for the best average.  Now I have a tonearm without anti skate bias and I sleep much better without waking up in a cold sweat worried about anti skate settings.

jschwenker

Re: Stylus-groove drag force (aka anti skating)
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2017, 02:48 pm »
Assumption incorrect.  Sorry, I should not have put anti skating in the subject line (even in parentheses).  I am more interested in how these forces might or might not interact with turntable drive systems.  Please don’t lose sleep over it!!   ;-)
Cheers,  John

P.S. Thanks for offering your tips anyway.  In my humble experience, indeed the business itself of anti-skating can work, um... "varyingly well" with various tonearms (and cartridges).  I have found the Frank Schroeder method to come very close to the best average setting I end up with when working at it by ear.  I am very happy with my settings (and hardware).