SP 3.0?

dminches

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #2000 on: 21 Nov 2013, 07:36 pm »
Thanks for the detailed explanations.

I am trying to apply the update but it doesn't seem to be going through.  I uploaded the SP3.bin file but it doesn't seem to update.  I am trying to get tech support to help me.

David

ragg987

« Reply #2001 on: 21 Nov 2013, 09:12 pm »
I am trying to apply the update but it doesn't seem to be going through.  I uploaded the SP3.bin file but it doesn't seem to update.
Are you using firefox to do the update? Had a similar issue with an earlier update, worked with chrome. Stan had put out a note about issues with firefox.

SHV

« Reply #2002 on: 21 Nov 2013, 10:46 pm »
I upgraded to u2013.10e a few weeks ago using Firefox, no problems.  Hopefully, one of these days we will get notification of new firmware/software and just click the upgrade button.

Steve

dminches

« Reply #2003 on: 22 Nov 2013, 02:07 am »
Are you using firefox to do the update? Had a similar issue with an earlier update, worked with chrome. Stan had put out a note about issues with firefox.

No.  I am using Chrome.

The file starts to upload at 65% (which makes no sense) and then it just disappears.  And nothing happens.

So, at the direction of Bryston, I tried first upgrading an older version.  That one gets to about 75% and then dies.  They think it is my network speed but that doesn't make sense.  I am upgrading from a version on my hard drive and my network works for hi res music.  How can it not be able to transfer a 73k file?

So, now I have lost my browser GUI and I am still sitting on a version from 2012.  Very frustrating (although Mike from tech support has been attentive).

drummermitchell

« Reply #2004 on: 22 Nov 2013, 03:26 am »
Seems more and more components we have to update,wasn't but a few years ago you just turn it on and hit play.
Seems this new stuff really doesn't have all the bugs worked out,even my Seagate 2T storage shuts off on my computer and I can't use the BDP-2 unless I go into my computer and mess around a bit to get it to turn back on,plus a few other things that are slow such as click on a song and takes forever to go to playlist.My CDP,insert disc,hit play,game over and no frustration.
Glad my Arcam AV-8 has been flawless for over 6yrs,was thinking of an upgrade but I think I'll wait as it's not broke so I won't change it and it doesn't do updates :thumb:.

Buseto

« Reply #2005 on: 22 Nov 2013, 07:19 am »
I have my SP3 since early 2012 and have updated the firmware ever since. I am glad with the updates and had no problems with it. I always read the release notes (and so I ask for them, too when asking for new firmware) and e.g. haven't done fiddling with the latest HDMI options.

Of course, it's a pity that modern AV-equipment more like a computer than like good old analogue stuff. Therefore I handle it like that and expect it not behaving in another way. Which means: updates, shortcomings, ...
And that HDMI is a pain in the a... is so true.

As I see it, it's not the producers that are to blame but mainly the complexity, the architecture of the whole and all the protection measures to try to prevent illegal copying.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #2006 on: 22 Nov 2013, 08:07 am »
As I see it, it's not the producers that are to blame but mainly the complexity, the architecture of the whole and all the protection measures to try to prevent illegal copying.

That, and HDMI itself being a horrible interface (handshaking).

assafl

« Reply #2007 on: 22 Nov 2013, 01:35 pm »
Seems more and more components we have to update,wasn't but a few years ago you just turn it on and hit play.

I'll take HDMI over the rats nest of crappy and expensive RCA cables anyday. A few years ago we'd have to strategically route power and video and audio cable runs to prevent crosstalk, and work hard to try to control noise floors. HDMI solved much of that.

HDMI isn't perfect, but the SP3 sure makes it sound perfect.

BTW - I have serial number 36 and concur that since the 2012 updates (I update religiously) have had no problems with the unit or its firmware. And no problems with the 1027 HDMI firmware as well.

dminches

« Reply #2008 on: 22 Nov 2013, 04:28 pm »
With the help of Stan at Bryston I finally got the firmware upgraded.

Can someone explain the new labels for Dolby and DTS?  What should I choose if I want all 5.1 sources to play in 7.1?

kosh2258

« Reply #2009 on: 18 Dec 2013, 12:30 am »
Would you elaborate on the results?

Basically:  After I applied the HDMI update the SP3 started having problems automatically switching between Dolby and DTS-HD signals.   I have several discs where the audio encoding cycles between Dolby digital and DTS-HD.  If the disc starts with Dolby, the SP3 will not toggle to DTS-HD when the transitions occurs - continues to show Dolby in the display and no sound even though the Blu ray player is showing DTS-HD on its display.   The only way to get sound back is to switch to a different input and then back forcing a HDMI handshake to occur.  Once I get DTS-HD audio working then, when the encoding switches back to Dolby, the sound goes mute and, again, have to change inputs to force a HDMI handshake in order to get the SP3 to see the Dolby signal.   It may be peculiar to my particular combination of equipment but, I have no way of knowing.   I just know the results I'm getting.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2010 on: 18 Dec 2013, 12:47 am »
Basically:  After I applied the HDMI update the SP3 started having problems automatically switching between Dolby and DTS-HD signals.   I have several discs where the audio encoding cycles between Dolby digital and DTS-HD.  If the disc starts with Dolby, the SP3 will not toggle to DTS-HD when the transitions occurs - continues to show Dolby in the display and no sound even though the Blu ray player is showing DTS-HD on its display.   The only way to get sound back is to switch to a different input and then back forcing a HDMI handshake to occur.  Once I get DTS-HD audio working then, when the encoding switches back to Dolby, the sound goes mute and, again, have to change inputs to force a HDMI handshake in order to get the SP3 to see the Dolby signal.   It may be peculiar to my particular combination of equipment but, I have no way of knowing.   I just know the results I'm getting.

Hi Kosh

What software are you running?

james

kosh2258

« Reply #2011 on: 20 Dec 2013, 12:49 am »
Hi James,

Actually, we've already discussed the subject. I'm Ted.  You probably don't associate my handle here with my real name.   I've given Stan all the pertinent information such as my equipment, how it's all connected, software levels and a list of Blu-ray discs that can be used as demonstration/test sources.  In the interim, OPPO has released a new firmware level for BDP-105.  I haven't tried applying the HDMI update in concert with the new OPPO firmware yet.   Nothing in the OPPO release notes would indicate they've addressed any HDMI issues with this latest release. So, I'm not expecting any change.  However, it there is a change I will definitely let Stan know about it.

Ted   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2012 on: 20 Dec 2013, 12:53 am »
Hi James,

Actually, we've already discussed the subject. I'm Ted.  You probably don't associate my handle here with my real name.   I've given Stan all the pertinent information such as my equipment, how it's all connected, software levels and a list of Blu-ray discs that can be used as demonstration/test sources.  In the interim, OPPO has released a new firmware level for BDP-105.  I haven't tried applying the HDMI update in concert with the new OPPO firmware yet.   Nothing in the OPPO release notes would indicate they've addressed any HDMI issues with this latest release. So, I'm not expecting any change.  However, it there is a change I will definitely let Stan know about it.

Ted   

Ok let me know how it goes.  I have the 103.

james

kosh2258

« Reply #2013 on: 24 Dec 2013, 07:58 pm »
Ran some additional testing with the latest OPPO firmware release.  There were no changes. 

The issue of the SP3 not switching between Dolby and DTS-HD persists with the HDMI 1027 firmware.  Also, at Stan's request, I tried a variety of HDMI wiring configurations.  Serial vs parallel.  Using HDMI 1 vs HDMI 2 etc. and nothing changed.  HDMI 1027 creates difficulties when applied, configuration not withstanding.   With the HDMI 1026 firmware restored and repeating the testing, I still run into a latency issue.  The SP3 is slow to switch modes when multi-channel content is presented.  It seems to do some hunting for the right format rather than get a clean, immediate lock.   Watched the front panel flip from Dolby 2.0 to Dolby 5.1 before it finally identified and locked on to DTS-HD.   If the content is 2.0 or down converted to 2.0 it will lock on immediately.   

I'll continue to work with Stan and perform any testing/configuring he'd like me to try. 

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #2014 on: 17 Apr 2014, 02:25 am »
Kosh - I can confirm that I see something that I believe is similar to you.

I use an HTPC to play my movies and setup playlists to show trailers before the main feature.   For months, if I showed a DTS-MA trailer, and then a Dolby TrueHD trailer in succession, I would not get audio on the TrueHD trailer.  The main feature, if DTS-MA encoded, would play just fine.   

Very recently, I added  delay of 4 seconds between each playlist item in my software used to play the trailers and movies  (Zoom Player Max v9.0).  Now, the SP3 seems to be able to make the switch between DTS-MA and TrueHD and I get audio in all my trailers of different high-def formats when played in succession. 

Of course, there's a catch.  Now I get a nasty short burst of static (undecoded audio, I assume) when the switch is made.  Sounds like hell and really takes away from the "Theater experience."

Did you ever make any progress with Stan on the issue you identified, or the HDMI firmware update issue?

Regarding the HDMI firmware update, I'd really like to apply this update!!  I want the SP3 to pick the highest common denominator when 2 screens are attached - I plan to introduce a 3d display to the outputs and I do NOT want to have to disconnect the 2d display to get it to work!

cgw

« Reply #2015 on: 1 May 2014, 01:37 pm »
Of course, there's a catch.  Now I get a nasty short burst of static (undecoded audio, I assume) when the switch is made.  Sounds like hell and really takes away from the "Theater experience.

Setting the HDMI delay to 0.5 seems to help the problem.

The other weekend my daughter had been playing with the remote and my Oppo was
playing back 2.1 with audio descriptions for Frozen when I turned on the
SP3. When I changed the Oppo back to 7.1 the static noise occurred and continued for over ten seconds until I turned the Bryston off and back on to fix the problem. Stan has given me some more things to try, but I have not had a chance to do the testing yet.

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #2016 on: 2 May 2014, 03:02 am »
Thanks cgw - I'll try that too.

I had one case where i launched a multi-channel DTS-MA encoded file from within windows explorer and my SP3 only played static until I closed the player and restarted.   Not sure if that was just a random issue with my playback software or related to the SP3 not decoding properly.

Keep us posted with your testing that you and Stan are working on - I'd be very interested to hear what you're tweaking and your results, if you don't mind!

kostisgva

« Reply #2017 on: 18 Aug 2014, 11:43 am »
I have recently updated the firmware to the 2014.07b version and as instructed I have reset the user parameters.

I am now trying to access the control panel of the SP3 with my browser and I am getting the following message.

404: File not found
Use File Package Upload to program it

Any suggestions?

Thanks ! :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2018 on: 18 Aug 2014, 02:45 pm »
I have recently updated the firmware to the 2014.07b version and as instructed I have reset the user parameters.

I am now trying to access the control panel of the SP3 with my browser and I am getting the following message.

404: File not found
Use File Package Upload to program it

Any suggestions?

Thanks ! :thumb:

Something  probably went wrong with the upload and the internal web source files are corrupt.  You may need to access the upload web page directly by typing
http://....../upload
(do not use Firefox)

And then continue to re-upload the file.   Afterwards please again re-default eeprom and also redefault tcpip  (it is in miscellaneous).

Regards,
Stan

kostisgva

« Reply #2019 on: 18 Aug 2014, 05:16 pm »
Something  probably went wrong with the upload and the internal web source files are corrupt.  You may need to access the upload web page directly by typing
http://....../upload
(do not use Firefox)

And then continue to re-upload the file.   Afterwards please again re-default eeprom and also redefault tcpip  (it is in miscellaneous).

Regards,
Stan
Thank you for the swift reply!

I have done it but it doesn't work. I can select file to upload but it won't upload. Tried to reset eeprom and tcpip again without results. Any other ideas?