LGK 1.0's are here

Danny Richie

Re: LGK 1.0 are here
« Reply #100 on: 16 Apr 2014, 02:21 pm »
In other words, the negative side of the amp and negative side of driver will never touch the filter network.

Yes, the compensation filter is just on the positive leg just as the picture shows.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #101 on: 16 Apr 2014, 02:52 pm »
Clarity!  :D

For some reason (inexperience), I thought the filter must be filtering both the positive and the negative. Now that I see your answers, I understand.

This is a little (or a lot) like learning a foreign language for me. You constantly make blunders as you progress. Take a few steps; fall down; get back up. Repeat cycle until you 'dance'. I can't help but wonder if you guys find my naivete refreshing, amusing, or disconcerting. No worries. My speakers will be dancing in no time!

:thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #102 on: 16 Apr 2014, 02:58 pm »
I can't help but wonder if you guys find my naivete refreshing, amusing, or disconcerting.

Normal. We were all there once too.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #103 on: 16 Apr 2014, 03:56 pm »
As mentioned above, I goofed up. Once I saw that I was way off track from what I was shooting for, I necessarily went a different direction. I guess it's a lesson I needed to relearn...
Not awful, but not what they could be.

Peter,

I know it wasn't the look you were wanting but they turned out looking very nice anyway.  I have been discovering that gaining skill as a woodworker isn't so much getting everything perfect the first time but learning how to fix screw ups so that nobody but you know about it  :lol:

Sometime you will have to explain climb cutting and the use of masking tape when cutting through one layer of veneer without chipping the one below. That sounds like a very useful technique.

Mike

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #104 on: 16 Apr 2014, 05:22 pm »
Peter,

I know it wasn't the look you were wanting but they turned out looking very nice anyway.  I have been discovering that gaining skill as a woodworker isn't so much getting everything perfect the first time but learning how to fix screw ups so that nobody but you know about it  :lol:

Sometime you will have to explain climb cutting and the use of masking tape when cutting through one layer of veneer without chipping the one below. That sounds like a very useful technique.

Mike

Mike, years ago I heard something similar, which I paraphrase because I don't precisely remember it. "The mark of a craftsman is not his work, but how well he covers his mistakes". Having done this for a long time, I have indeed gotten better at covering my errors. I don't like making them any less than I used to, but having many rabbits in my hat makes unexpected course changes easier. Seems I get more philosophical as I age...

To clarify, the 3/8" x 3/8" pieces are solid Wenge, perhaps the photos will tell the story better. Climb cutting is simply a technique that moves router (or stock) with direction of blade rotation as opposed to against it. It's counter intuitive and can be dangerous, but lessens chipout. Small bites and good feed control are the keys.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #105 on: 16 Apr 2014, 05:29 pm »
Peter,

Now I understand. Much clearer, thank you. I know "climb cutting" as "reverse routing".

Mike

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Got Feet?
« Reply #106 on: 17 Apr 2014, 04:15 am »
My imagination gets rolling and, well, here's the result. Please weigh in on what you think looks best.

Feet or no feet?

If yes three or four?

Silver or black screws?

srb

« Reply #107 on: 17 Apr 2014, 04:19 am »
Black screws and 3 Black feet.

Steve

Danny Richie

« Reply #108 on: 17 Apr 2014, 04:35 am »
I guess I like the black screws and four feet, but the three feet look good too.

The cabinets look great!

Captainhemo

« Reply #109 on: 17 Apr 2014, 04:50 am »
Black screws,  no feet , I like the clean look

-jay

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #110 on: 17 Apr 2014, 05:16 am »
I like the black screws and three feet.

bdp24

« Reply #111 on: 17 Apr 2014, 05:17 am »
Peter, your mistake cabinets look better than a normal person's best! I like contrast in things (like painted wheel centers with polished hoops---the American Racing Torq Thrust II comes to mind), so I would get a set of the nickel plated brass spikes that Dayton makes and Parts Express sells. They're 1/2" in diameter, and come in two lengths, about 5/8" and 1-1/4". Provided with both are 6mm threaded inserts that the spikes screw into, and four of the spikes would look great providing contrast (along with the similar-looking dustcap of the driver) to the beautiful wood cabinets. They have nice clean lines, elegant almost, and would continue the long vertical movement of your enclosure. $10.99/set of four. Silver screw heads, however, would look too busy, and would spoil the nice dustcap vs. black cone contrast.

borism

« Reply #112 on: 17 Apr 2014, 01:32 pm »
I like the black screws but would consider 3 feet in reverse of your picture - 2 on the front sides and one invisible in the back middle. Hope I am making my idea clear.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #113 on: 17 Apr 2014, 01:57 pm »
Ahhhh, we have consensus....on the screws!

By and large I want to explore things that aren't common, I suppose.

Black feet is an interesting idea, a matte finish like the driver frame might tie in better than the silver I envisioned to mimic driver center. Spikes, I'm afraid, wouldn't work on this particular pair because of enclosure thickness...I'd have to beef up bottom thickness earlier in build. I also thought about three foot reversal, gotta see what that looks like. Hmmm, three footed reversal, sounds like a wrestling move!

Kinda fun to group design. As our granddaughter said to me as we were tugging a leaf filled tarp from the trailer at the dump, "we're working together!"

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #114 on: 18 Apr 2014, 02:05 am »
I love the look of your speakers with the feet you are using!  I think they look awesome with either option.  What are you using for the feet?

tom

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #115 on: 18 Apr 2014, 04:34 am »
I love the look of your speakers with the feet you are using!  I think they look awesome with either option.  What are you using for the feet?

tom

Thanks Tom, I'm kinda liking the direction they're heading now too. I put some black tape on a foot to get a feel for what it would look like and liking that too.

Don't laugh, my feet aren't really feet at all

http://www.myknobs.com/libharalcolp1.html

I'll either have to drill a mounting hole or use killer double sided tape to mount.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #116 on: 18 Apr 2014, 03:49 pm »
Peter,

Carpet tape would probably be strong enough to hold and thin enough not to be seen when the feet are mounted.  I have to be very careful when using it to temporarily hold two pieces together. If I use too big a piece of tape I have a devil of a time getting the two pieces of material back apart.

Epoxy would be another option.

Mike

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #117 on: 20 Apr 2014, 03:50 pm »
Finished 'em.  Steve, good call on the black feet.

devinkato

« Reply #118 on: 20 Apr 2014, 04:55 pm »
Just finished mine all up.  Listening impressions to follow in a couple of days.

persisting1

« Reply #119 on: 20 Apr 2014, 06:20 pm »
The white cabinets look really nice  :thumb:

What speakers are those behind the LGKs?