How does 70s Marantz and Sansui compare to newer stuff?

nodiak

Re: How does 70s Marantz and Sansui compare to newer stuff?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Feb 2009, 11:07 pm »
drphoto, should be worthwhile to email irebuildmarantz.com for a price to rebuild your 1060. I have a rebuilt 2225 coming from him next week. Will add comments of it to this thread.
He's adding pre-out amp-in's to mine. Then  with Y cords I'll use ACI high pass filters to mains and also out to Rythmik sub. Could work out.
Don

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 3 Feb 2009, 03:57 am »
Where do you get this stuff repaired? My first amp was a Marantz 1060 integrated, which is still in storage in my parents house. I bought this when I was 15, which would have been in 1974.
echowars, over at audiokarma.org specializes in wintage s/s gear.  speaking of which, there's a modded hk citation 12 amp f/s here on agon - freaking steal for its asking price of $160, imo:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64459.0

doug s.

newtruephile

« Reply #22 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:19 am »
 Hello.  I've been a big fan of this forum for the past approx. 3 years.  All the info, advice, viewpoints, it's all great, though I'm still a newbie to the really technical aspects of this.

I have a Marantz 2238, my parents bought it from a reputable used audio/repair store.  It was functioning great, but last year it started to make a moderate buzzy/static sound from the left channel, with headphones or speakers, so I listen with the "mono" button selected which seems to eliminate/lessen the effect.  Everything else about it seems to be fine. Shoud I have it checked out?, can I fix it myself?, is it worth it?  (I don't know if this is the right spot to post this, but any feedback, or input would be appreciated.) :scratch:

jon_010101

« Reply #23 on: 6 Feb 2009, 10:23 am »
echowars, over at audiokarma.org specializes in wintage s/s gear.  speaking of which, there's a modded hk citation 12 amp f/s here on agon - freaking steal for its asking price of $160, imo:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64459.0

Dang, I wish I had seen that listing sooner!   :o

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2009, 01:57 am »
I bought a Marantz 2220 for 175$.  I know that's no bargain but it was in perfect cosmetic condition and everything had been cleaned.  I changed the caps myself ( my first time soldering ) it was pretty simple and improved the sound significantly.  I'm very happy with it, it looks good and sounds great.

jrebman

« Reply #25 on: 18 Feb 2009, 12:40 am »
Don,

You scare me.  I've been shopping around for a 2225 myself.  How's is sound?  I've been talking to Rob about rebuilding my monster 4400 and SQ decoder box.

-- Jim

Stu Pitt

In fact, I might suggest that a used lower-priced Rega, likely made in China, is probably packed with low grade generic Chinese caps that are unlikely to last more than 8-10 years anyway, (like my 3 NADs, 2 Adcoms, 2 Rotels, Camridge Audio .....etc, .) so it may be a a small difference.

To the best of my knowledge, Rega has never been made in China.  They're a company that has always been designed and built in their own lower volume facility in England.

Interesting thread.  I've been trying to swipe my father's Marantz 2220B for years.  Maybe I'll catch him off guard one day.

Wayner

« Reply #27 on: 19 Mar 2009, 10:30 pm »
I've got a minty Marantz 2220B with a walnut cabinet, that just sits here.....

It is in totally excellent condition, all lights work. If you want it, let me know.

Wayner

Stu Pitt

« Reply #28 on: 26 Mar 2009, 11:11 am »
I greatly appreciate the offer, Wayner.  I don't really have the space for a second system at the moment, but when I do I'll keep you in mind.  Its one of those things that I really would like to have but is a bit inpractical at the present moment.  My father's 2220B sits in his house as more of a decoration than anything else.  It plays music about 3 times a year tops.     

Thanks again!

highwaystarzzz

« Reply #29 on: 27 Mar 2009, 04:05 pm »
hey there wayner, I need a good stereo to add to a room downstairs, bring some life to that room for sure!!! 

Wayner

« Reply #30 on: 27 Mar 2009, 08:48 pm »
Are you liking the 2220B? Or the 2385?

Wayner