Update my APT Holman pre and Hafler DH500 - or buy new

hifiguy

Need to refurbish / update my pre and amp. Things are very dark these days after several years of decline.

Like the APT preamp versatility as I have both MM and MC tables. Update is possible via Audioproz and history there w/ original mfr / THx seems good.

Also need an update of my DH500. Leaning towards Musical Concepts or maybe Van Alstine.

Speakers are VMPS IIa/R LE and are great as is.

Heard my system a year ago w/ new ARC tube gear and it was a BIG improvement but upgrading my existing stuff correctly may do what I need and retain solid state w/ less $$$ via upgrades from good aftermarket sources.

Both Apt and DH500 are classics certainly.

VMPS need a lot of amps and are very phase sensitive.

Any good judgement / guidance would be appreciated.

hfg

TheChairGuy

Re: Update my APT Holman pre and Hafler DH500 - or buy new
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:21 am »
I take it you have the MC option (rare) for the APT...?

I bought a fully modded one from Vince at AudioProz...I wasn't immensely impressed with it.  Yes, it was quiet...but it was pretty soft even modded (and broken in) and the gain was too low for me to work with 'punch' with anything but the 6mv ADC XLM MK. III Improved I have.  It did sound good with that one dialed in with correct capacitance.

As I needed a tuner too, and had been told that dual mono preamp architecture can often be quite beneficial to vinyl performance - I took a leap at a vintage (about the same era as the APT) Mitsubishi DA-C20 Tuner/Preamp (with MC input).  After about 25 hours it started to cook in (I think it must have been sitting for many years as it had characteristic burn-in attributes) it started to come to life.

At around the 50th hour the APT was put on ebay and I've never thought of it since  :wave:

Here's a review of the APT before I met Mr. Mitsui...it was all over from there for the APT-Holman.http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=39060.0

After 30 years, likely stock as it left the factory (tired caps and all) the Mitsui bested the APT for MM/MC, and was equal at least on line/CD.  Plus, it came complete with a decent AM/FM tuner.  I paid $129.00 for it  :o

Some day I'll have it updated, but I'm enjoying it too much now to bother (very quiet MC stage, too, btw)

Anyhow, I feel a lot of the Japanese preamps of that era are greatly overlooked (Technics, Nikko, Nakamichi, MItsubishi all built good ones that can be had for a song).  Vince at AudioProz updates these, too - I think a good many of them better than the APT to begin with.

All and only my opinion above, of course. Regards, John 

hifiguy

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2007, 04:59 pm »
ChairG:

You are  correct on the OEM MC option. Still needs to be redone and upgraded. My power transformer and caps are in my sights as well.

Anything on the suggested upgraded paths and DH500?

HFG

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2007, 05:40 pm »
HFG,

I don't know the Hafler at all...except on it's stellar reputation  :thumb:

Regards, John

mjosef

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:36 pm »
There are a few threads on the Hafler mods over at DIY audio, do a search in the Solid State forum...the Musical Concepts mod is somewhat expensive to the guys over there, and it changes the sound considerably, some have reported liking the change, some didn't. SO if you like the sound of the Hafler as is, you may not like the retooled sound.  :dunno:
If you are handy you can recap with by-pass caps, and upgrade the RCA's and other stuff covered in the threads there.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4

hifiguy

« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2009, 08:38 pm »
Final Update:

Went a totally new way - ARC SP-11 and ARC D400MKII

I am happy.

HFG
 :thumb: