BDP-2 Digital Player

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1940 on: 15 Dec 2017, 07:54 pm »

Too bad Tidal is not the ultimate sonic experience. You can hear new music for free using the free radio stations on iTunes or Amazon Prime. Regardless, neither sound good enough to rely upon for serious listening which is why I prefer to buy my music on CDs. I am still buying CDs from Amazon and when I get them, I import them to my BDP-2 as aiff files and store them immediately. If you are using Tidal more for listening to new music, you can do the same with iTunes, free.

HI

I think the advantage Tidal has though is it really is CD quality (relatively speaking)  (if you set it up that way) whereas the streamed music is not very good in my opinion - ok for back ground listening but not critical assessing.

I have tried to listen to steaming music at 320 and it does sound better but there does not seem to be many stations broadcasting at 320.  I like Radio Paradise which does offer high res streaming at 320.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1941 on: 15 Dec 2017, 07:58 pm »
Here's some lower res stations I use on Bryston Radio that I fine sound OK:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1942 on: 15 Dec 2017, 08:01 pm »
The 2 stations at 320 I listen to are Radio Paradise and Monster

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1943 on: 15 Dec 2017, 08:23 pm »
Thanks for the tip on Oasis sounds great  :thumb:

James

zoom25

« Reply #1944 on: 15 Dec 2017, 09:34 pm »
With streaming services, you never know which master or remaster you're getting. This applies to all the streaming services I've tried so far. With Tidal, hopefully they are streaming CD versions unaltered without messing it to promote MQA. You cannot say with 100% confidence that a streaming service will still be there after X time. I use Spotify for casual listening and on mobile.

All serious listening done with my own local music. I know exactly which masters/press to pick for a certain artist. With some artists, this can drive you insane as they have 10+ versions to choose from. Still, not a bad problem to have.

As for SQ, if Tidal is streaming the same information (track) as what one has downloaded, then any differences in SQ is simply based on the implementation of the networking and digital devices used. I wouldn't knock Tidal for that. Meaningful comparisons can only be done if one knows they are listening to identical audio files.

gbaby

« Reply #1945 on: 16 Dec 2017, 07:10 pm »
Thanks for the tip on Oasis sounds great  :thumb:

James

Your welcome. This is the format I listen to regularly, and when I hear something I really like, I go on Amazon and purchase the CD. As good as my SP3 and BDA-3 are at playing back hi res music, I really find regular PCM at 44/16 sampling rate sounds more "natural" which is why I continue to buy CDs and import all the music onto my Bryston BDP-2. The BDP-2 has allowed me to have more or less my own radio station.  8)
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2017, 01:57 am by gbaby »

KeithA

« Reply #1946 on: 5 Jan 2018, 03:42 am »
Silly question time...

I'm looking at a BDP-2 at a dealer that listed as a newer (11 months old) BDP-2. So, I assume this one has the IAD update, etc, However, the faceplate has a silk-screened logo. I've never seen that on recent BDPs (or any BDP picture that I've seen) as I've always seen the 'relief-styled' logo.

Were any recent BDPs done with this style faceplate? I'll call the dealer tomorrow, but I'm just curious.

Keith

dznutz

« Reply #1947 on: 5 Jan 2018, 07:33 am »
What makes you think that is silk screened?  I assure you it is not

If that Dealer is Audio Eden you might want to PM me

KeithA

« Reply #1948 on: 5 Jan 2018, 08:36 am »
What makes you think that is silk screened?  I assure you it is not

If that Dealer is Audio Eden you might want to PM me

Lol...It just looks different that any of the logo styles I've seen in any pictures of units! That's why I said silly question time! I'll likely give the shop a call today if I'm interested enough to possibly pull the trigger..

Actually, it's just likely a newer faceplate style as I've found pics of BDP-3s with the same faceplate. Lol...tragedy averted !

Yes...it is the one listed on CAM.

shpritz

« Reply #1949 on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:16 pm »
Going out of my mind here as I don't know what the heck I did on my BDP-2. I have access to all my music on my internal HD, external HD or NAS. I can choose the titles I want to listen to as usual, however, when I click play the song appears, the album art appears but nothing happens.... The time stays on 0.00??? Try a different song, same thing.... Try a song on a USB drive, same thing. Everything loads like normal but player doesn't play? Must have hit something in dashboard. I was playing with DSD files and trying to get it add new, which it did. Now when I try to just play normal 44.1 Flacs my EMM Labs DA2 shows that it has a lock with the BDP-2 but at 192 and not 44.1. If i try another source thru the DA2 no issue. USB from my Laptop works fine with DSD's. Spotify streams fine with Coax input. Only one not working is my music via the BDP-2 thru AES/EBU. Bryston is closed and its going to be a cold weekend up here in Winnipeg. Someone save my weekend. Don't make me spend it driving the wife around town, lol....

shpritz

« Reply #1950 on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:23 pm »
By the way it was working perfectly until I started F**king around with it, lol... Probably something very simple that I'm missing.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1951 on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:36 pm »
Going out of my mind here as I don't know what the heck I did on my BDP-2. I have access to all my music on my internal HD, external HD or NAS. I can choose the titles I want to listen to as usual, however, when I click play the song appears, the album art appears but nothing happens.... The time stays on 0.00??? Try a different song, same thing.... Try a song on a USB drive, same thing. Everything loads like normal but player doesn't play? Must have hit something in dashboard. I was playing with DSD files and trying to get it add new, which it did. Now when I try to just play normal 44.1 Flacs my EMM Labs DA2 shows that it has a lock with the BDP-2 but at 192 and not 44.1. If i try another source thru the DA2 no issue. USB from my Laptop works fine with DSD's. Spotify streams fine with Coax input. Only one not working is my music via the BDP-2 thru AES/EBU. Bryston is closed and its going to be a cold weekend up here in Winnipeg. Someone save my weekend. Don't make me spend it driving the wife around town, lol....

Make sure under Audio Devices you have selected your DAC

james

shpritz

« Reply #1952 on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:57 pm »
I checked that. DAC has never appeared there, just the BUC board?? If I plug the USB in then the DAC appears but not with just the AES?? Thought the USB was screwing things up so took it out of the loop to see if it would correct everything, rebooted and no luck.

shpritz

« Reply #1953 on: 13 Jan 2018, 12:03 am »
see full screenshots below.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2018, 03:02 am by shpritz »

zoom25

« Reply #1954 on: 13 Jan 2018, 01:08 am »
You can take screenshots of the computer by pressing "Command" + "Shift" + "4" at the same time.

This should make your life easier: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201361

shpritz

« Reply #1955 on: 13 Jan 2018, 03:01 am »
Thanks for the tip. Here are the full screenshots. still haven't been able get things going.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1956 on: 13 Jan 2018, 03:09 am »
Your audio output appears to be disabled, click the enable button

shpritz

« Reply #1957 on: 13 Jan 2018, 03:37 am »
That did the trick. Thank-you, Thank-you Chris. You saved a marriage. Lol. All good again. Appreciate your help.

zoom25

« Reply #1958 on: 13 Jan 2018, 03:55 am »
That did the trick. Thank-you, Thank-you Chris. You saved a marriage. Lol. All good again. Appreciate your help.

LMAO I just taught you how to screenshot and now you've gone all upside down exorcist!  :lol:

Glad it worked out.

OTM

« Reply #1959 on: 13 Jan 2018, 03:59 am »
--Chris
You are too good to us!