DAC DAC in the House!

ACHiPo

DAC DAC in the House!
« on: 10 Feb 2016, 04:27 am »
The DAC DAC arrived today for its trial in my system. Took me all of 5 minutes to put it in the system, another 2 to get the amps up, now it's making very nice music.

Listening from my Aurender S-10 via JenaLabs SP/DIF cable.  Trying not to make any judgments--just listening in the background to some 24/96 Buena Vista Social Club.  One design flaw that needs to be addressed:  when the DAC switches resolution there is about 2 seconds of very loud static.  There needs to be a mute function of some sort during the transition.  Otherwise it's sounding at least as good as my Oppo.  Will do some A/B/A listening at some point, but this evening quite content to sip a beverage, listen, and catch up on AC news.

Switched to 24/96 Fleetwood Mac Live at the BBC.  Probably not the best test album, but I'm in the mood for Peter Green--what can I say?

Folsom

Re: DAC DAC in the House!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2016, 04:31 am »
Is it on tour?

ACHiPo

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2016, 04:41 am »
Is it on tour?
Send a note to Tommy.

ACHiPo

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2016, 04:46 am »
Ok, so I'm not doing so well at not listening critically.  Moved on from Afro-Cuban, to Peter Green, to Neil Young, to Queen.  Bass is noticeably better than the Oppo.  Music is engaging.  Toe is tapping.  Life is good.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2016, 05:21 am »
Oh, great Ah-QiPo,

I am interested in more in-depth impressions. I've been very curious about this DAC. Are you listening to the tube-like or the high resolution version?

:)

I just scored a TWL HP Digital American PC. Looking forward to hearing that before too long.

ACHiPo

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2016, 05:21 am »
...the spinning (um, not sure what you call playing digital files?) continues...

Quadrophenia, then Yes Fragile  :green:

Diggin' it!

ACHiPo

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2016, 05:24 am »
Oh, great Ah-QiPo,
LMAO!  :rotflmao:
I am interested in more in-depth impressions. I've been very curious about this DAC. Are you listening to the tube-like or the high resolution version?

:)

I just scored a TWL HP Digital American PC. Looking forward to hearing that before too long.
I'm listening to the "just arrived via FedEx" version.  No clue which one it is, but it sounds good (at least when not changing resolution--that definitely does not sound good).  I'll keep posting updates.  It's not terribly scientific at this point--just listening and enjoying the music.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2016, 06:36 am »
....I'm listening to the "just arrived via FedEx" version.  No clue which one it is, but it sounds good (at least when not changing resolution--that definitely does not sound good).  I'll keep posting updates.  It's not terribly scientific at this point--just listening and enjoying the music.
It's a TL version prototype.

The new board automatically mutes when the S/PDIF is invalid or in transition, but the prototype doesn't.  We have found S/PDIF sources vary a lot in how smoothly they transition.  PCs driving "premium" USB-to-S/PDIF converters seem to be the best in that regard.

Glad you like the sonics, and Happy Listening!

Thanks.

-Tommy

ACHiPo

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2016, 04:13 am »
Update:
After listening both casually and in serious "sit your butt down in the listening seat and pay attention!" sessions, I can say this DAC makes nice music.  I never once had the desire to plug the Oppo back in (well, actually I did, but only because I have 10 TB of music via USB and "only" 1 TB via S/PDIF, so more correctly, I wasn't jonesin' for the Oppo sound after receiving the DAC DAC).

My standard listening source material is:
Rutter Requiem, Turtle Creek Chorale (Reference Recordings)

Bela Fleck Live Art

The Addicts Rehabilitation Choir
Walk with Me

Miles Davis
Kind of Blue

My general notes were that the soundstage was wider, deeper, and closer with the DAC DAC than the Oppo.  I felt like I went from the back of the recording studio or venue to about 1/3 of the way back from the stage.

On Requiem, the sibilance (there are a LOT of "esses"!) was smoother and more natural.  Good detail, but perhaps a bit less dynamic range.  The soundstage was bigger, but voices and instruments narrower.

On Bela Fleck, there was great bass impact--the bass was fuller and more real.  Strings on the bass were a little softer than the Oppo, with a smoother attack.  The crowd noises were nice--startling, but a little less "real" than with the Oppo.

On ARC (an acoustic minimally mic'd recording with loads of detail), the claps were distinct and distributed across the soundstage.  Not as precisely located as another set up I auditioned using Esoteric CDP + DAC through YG Acoustics Kipods.  On "I'll Go", there's a sweetness to the voice that was lacking on the Oppo.

The most remarkable thing on "Kind of Blue" was the cymbals--again suggesting that this DAC does sibilance well.

I still don't like the noise when resolution is changed, but Tommy assures me that he's fixed that in later versions.  The fact that it doesn't do DSD is also a non-starter for me.  The lack of USB is the final nail for me.

This DAC does, however, deliver a sweetness, detail, and musically that is quite nice.

Osirir

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2016, 06:13 pm »
The DAC DAC arrived today for its trial in my system. Took me all of 5 minutes to put it in the system, another 2 to get the amps up, now it's making very nice music.

Listening from my Aurender S-10 via JenaLabs SP/DIF cable.  Trying not to make any judgments--just listening in the background to some 24/96 Buena Vista Social Club.  One design flaw that needs to be addressed:  when the DAC switches resolution there is about 2 seconds of very loud static.  There needs to be a mute function of some sort during the transition.  Otherwise it's sounding at least as good as my Oppo.  Will do some A/B/A listening at some point, but this evening quite content to sip a beverage, listen, and catch up on AC news.

Switched to 24/96 Fleetwood Mac Live at the BBC.  Probably not the best test album, but I'm in the mood for Peter Green--what can I say?

Osirir

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2016, 06:18 pm »
This seems very promising.Wish you the best Tommy
. Osiris