Woofer for X-LS Encores?

Scott Trebble

Woofer for X-LS Encores?
« on: 22 Jul 2015, 12:36 am »
I’ve really been enjoying the pair of X-LS Encores that I built for the shop a year or so ago.
I mostly just listen to the radio, or stream from Tidal and/or Rdio.
I was wondering if someone could recommend an inexpensive woofer option to help out with the lower end.  When I crank it up a little, those poor 5” drivers get bounced around quite a bit  .
I just need something to take a bit of the load off of the Encores.  It’s not for any serious listening... just some tunes while working in the shop.
Thanks for any advice  

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Woofer for X-LS Encores?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2015, 12:57 am »
If anyone has an X-Sub, that would be a good fit with the X-LS Encores for your setup. 

Oscillate

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2015, 01:02 am »
Since this is not for critical listening and because
your shop is probably larger than most people's
listening spaces ...perhaps Danny has plans and
parts for a budget minded 12", ported, subwoofer
he could fix you up with?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2015, 05:58 pm »
Those woofers are actually 6.5" woofers. They handle quite a bit of power, but you can only hit them (or nay small woofer) with so much power in the first octave. Put in an inline filter in line with the amp to roll off the lows and then you can crank them up a little harder.

I don't have any low cost sub solutions, but the price of the servo subs is really not bad.

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2015, 08:30 pm »
If you happen to be using them in the garage with a receiver that has an internal LFE C/O, set the reciever to think it has a sub connected, set the mains to "small",  and experitment  with the c/o point

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2015, 08:51 pm »
Check out the Rythmik CI Kit M7  http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS800ci.html 

This kit is listed as a midbass unit but it goes down to 30Hz. It might be just what you are looking for. 

Once I get my current projects caught up I'm planning on building one of these in a sealed 12"x12"x12" box to go with the LGK 1.0's in my office.

Mike

Scott Trebble

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2015, 12:19 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions  :D
What Jay suggested won't cost me anything and may help save my Encores.  I did have the speakers set to large which was prolly a no-no and I have set the LFE cutoff at 80hz as a try. Will do some testing this weekend  8)
I have a Paradigm PS-1000 sub that I replaced with a GR SW-12-4 and A370PEQ kit in my home setup (which is awesome), but the amp on it is fried.  I wonder if I might be able to hook up some cheapo amp to it and use the receiver controls for it.    Does that sound feasible? Any idea of what sort of amp I could use?

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2015, 04:56 am »
If your receiver will let you, you might want to try rolling off the Encores a bit lower , woth trying.  If I recall, they  are naturally -3 db at around 50Hz

Don't see why you couldn't pick up one of the inexpensive plate amps from  PE and use it for you Paradigm.   Then just  hook it up to the LFE as you would normally  and  away you go  :)

You could pretty much get away with any amp using the c/o and gain setting on the  receiver. If you've already got something or  have access to  something, give it a try

jay