Cabinet for Classic/Encore

lacro

Cabinet for Classic/Encore
« on: 17 Jul 2015, 02:39 pm »
Danny/anyone,
What do you think of these speakers to harvest the cabinets only to use with a Classic or Encore build? The speakers are $30 ea. I would remove the drivers, and the network. I can't build a finished cabinet for the Encores for that amount. I already have Encores and love them! This would be for different room or maybe a gift.

The description states the cabinets are well built and braced, and include a grill. They are made of 5/8" MDF, covered with real oak veneer
The dimensions are 14"H X 8-1/2"W X 11-1/2" D.  They weigh 17#. These dimensions look really close the Encore cabinet dimensions.

Not sure the front baffle could be saved, but it could be cut out with a router and jig, and a new one inserted into the opening. The baffle would hide the seam. Although it may be possible to rework the original baffle to fit the Classic or Encore kit.

The 2" X 6" port on the back is on the bottom. It could be moved if needed.

Danny - My 3 questions to you:

How critical is the center to center spacing of the woofer/tweeter?

Does the cabinet volume look workable?

Is the port location a problem? If so, and  I have to make a new front baffle, I could just flip the cabinet so the port is on top.

Thanks for any/all input,

Larry

nickd

Re: Cabinet for Classic/Encore
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2015, 03:32 pm »
Larry,

Looks like a good match except for the port location.

Is it easier to make a cover plate for the woofer hole and route out the tweeter hole to accept the woofer than it is to build a new set of cabinets? A completely new baffle could be made and you could route out the old one but...

Seems like more trouble than its worth. What part of the country are you in?

lacro

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2015, 04:39 pm »
Larry,

Looks like a good match except for the port location.

Is it easier to make a cover plate for the woofer hole and route out the tweeter hole to accept the woofer than it is to build a new set of cabinets? A completely new baffle could be made and you could route out the old one but...

Seems like more trouble than its worth. What part of the country are you in?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. The woofer cover plate, and re-routing the tweeter may be all that is necessary. The port could easily be located to the correct location, with existing hole plugged with something that looks good.

If I had to replace the whole front baffle. I would make it similar to how the speaker below is done. The baffle is inset, but the veneer is still around the front perimeter. I would make a jig for the router cut-out. I could even make the baffle a contrasting painted color like the one in the photo.

I know it seems like a lot of trouble, but making a new set of cabinets with a veneer finish is also a lot of trouble. I have the tools and knowledge to build from scratch. However, they look like a good partially finished cabinets if they have the correct volume? BUT - I could be talked out of my crazy idea if there is more arguments against it.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2015, 09:21 pm »
If you are going to do this Larry.  I'd  do a new front baffle and keep  your driver spacing as  the plans indicate and  you'd also be able to easily put your roundover on teh back of the  cutout..
Cut the old one  "out " using a flush trim bit.  This will increase your cabinet depth by .625"  (roughly 58 cu ")
If yuo did this, you could even flip the cabinet upside down  if the  bottom port  location is an issue and  end up with  it at the  top  (you might need to  relocate some bracing ?)

I don't know if I really like the idea of the  double  glue joint this would  end up  giving you on the front baffle but it  would probably work.
$30 is pretty tough to beat  !!

You may also run into issues with the  grills fitting   over the  woofer flange... I think this is an issue when guys use the PE cabinets too.  If I recall right,  the frames either need to be recessed a bit more or spaced  for clearance

-jay

lacro

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2015, 04:03 pm »
If you are going to do this Larry.  I'd  do a new front baffle and keep  your driver spacing as  the plans indicate and  you'd also be able to easily put your roundover on teh back of the  cutout..
Cut the old one  "out " using a flush trim bit.  This will increase your cabinet depth by .625"  (roughly 58 cu ")
If yuo did this, you could even flip the cabinet upside down  if the  bottom port  location is an issue and  end up with  it at the  top  (you might need to  relocate some bracing ?)

I don't know if I really like the idea of the  double  glue joint this would  end up  giving you on the front baffle but it  would probably work.
$30 is pretty tough to beat  !!

You may also run into issues with the  grills fitting   over the  woofer flange... I think this is an issue when guys use the PE cabinets too.  If I recall right,  the frames either need to be recessed a bit more or spaced  for clearance

-jay

Jay - Thanks for your input. I hadn't thought about the grill being an issue, but I see where it could be. I wouldn't want to have to make new grills if the original can't be re-worked.

My idea for replacing the front baffle, if needed, is to do as you suggest cutting out the baffle with a flush trim bit, but I would also add a lap joint to the speaker edge, and the new baffle all the way around. See below. I had thought about flipping the cabinets to get the port on the top if I were to make a new front baffle.

This whole idea of using these cabinets is so far just an idea. Don't know if it's worth proceeding, but I am open to more input. Danny??

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2015, 05:08 pm »
It is going to need a new front baffle for sure, but it can be made to work. Just maintain correct driver spacing and radius on the back side of the woofer hole.

The tuning with the existing port might be a bit off.

mark@emeraldphysics

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2015, 12:58 am »
Danny/anyone,
What do you think of these speakers to harvest the cabinets only to use with a Classic or Encore build? The speakers are $30 ea. I would remove the drivers, and the network. I can't build a finished cabinet for the Encores for that amount. I already have Encores and love them! This would be for different room or maybe a gift.

The description states the cabinets are well built and braced, and include a grill. They are made of 5/8" MDF, covered with real oak veneer
The dimensions are 14"H X 8-1/2"W X 11-1/2" D.  They weigh 17#. These dimensions look really close the Encore cabinet dimensions.

Not sure the front baffle could be saved, but it could be cut out with a router and jig, and a new one inserted into the opening. The baffle would hide the seam. Although it may be possible to rework the original baffle to fit the Classic or Encore kit.

The 2" X 6" port on the back is on the bottom. It could be moved if needed.

Danny - My 3 questions to you:

How critical is the center to center spacing of the woofer/tweeter?

Does the cabinet volume look workable?

Is the port location a problem? If so, and  I have to make a new front baffle, I could just flip the cabinet so the port is on top.

Thanks for any/all input,

Larry

I have roughly 20 pairs of x-ls cabinets built beautifully - but not completely finished. The tweeter hole is a bit smaller (made for small wavecor 30mm tweeter)...

Feel free to PM me here - or send mail to emeraldphysics1@outlook.com

Thanks

Mark