ModWright Integrated

celticsfan1

Re: ModWright Integrated
« Reply #20 on: 30 Dec 2010, 01:58 pm »
How would it sound compared to a LS100 and KWA150 combination. Or would it be more similar to a LS100+KWA100?

thanks

modwright

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:25 am »
It will actually be a new unit all together, but the design, while intended initially to sound like a LS 100 and KWA 100 together is more likely to sound like a LS 100 and KWA 150SE!

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:27 am »
I know this goes agains the "one box" idea, but please humor me...  If we wanted to bi-amp, could we use the integrated on one side, with all the inputs and DAC, etc., and then one of your other amps for the other side?  It would probably require a match with the 150 or 100, but just curious.  This would allow a couple speaker possibilities I'm considering.  Thanks!!

I would have to consider that.  If you want to biamp, you are really better off with separates.  The Integrated is aimed at offering HIGH PERFORMANCE in an integrated solution.

Thanks,

Dan

Afterimage

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jan 2011, 03:23 am »
Will the optional DAC be the one from Alex Dondysh? 

modwright

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2011, 08:33 pm »
Alex Dondysh IS the engineer that I am contracting for our digital designs,  yes.  It will not be the SAME DAC as was built into the LS 36.5 'DM', but it will involve design by Alex Dondysh, yes.

Dan

Afterimage

« Reply #25 on: 20 Mar 2011, 09:43 pm »
Thank you!  I am approaching the deisgn of this integrated as a TRUE ACT OF LOVE AND PASSION!  I have been SO SLAMMED with end of year demand, pending CES and other issues that I have not made as much progress as I would like, but the chassis design, input circtuitry, power supply demands and choice of output devices have all been determined - at least for prototyping.  I also have a sample 1300VA power transforer (14Kg!).

I am shooting for end of Q2 for soonest release, but to be honest, it will NOT be released until I am certain that it is RIGHT.

I was uncertain how to approach this area of integrated products, vs. separates. My initial intent was a $4K-$5K product that would essentially be a combination of our LS 100/KWA 100 design but hybrid, with tube input stage.  I soon found that the hybrid design - done RIGHT - would add more cost than expected, i.e. transformer coupled, no capacitors in signal path, zero negative feedback, for purest signal path.  I also feel that the design should be min. 200W into 8 ohms and I plan to offer integral DAC for maximum integration.  Chassis will necessarily be very rigid to accmodate oversided power transformer. Ultimately, this will be a more expensive and higher-end product than initially anticipated.  It will be designed to be EXCEPTIONAL and the price will be determined by our end build cost. I  am not indicating that this will be a COST NOT OBJECT design with stratospheric retail price, just that it will be in a different price-point than our current 100 series products.

I plan for it to be not so much of an integrated amp as a central music playback piece, requiring only ONE pair of HIGH QUALITY speaker cables, ONW digital cable or pair of analog interconnects, ONE HIGH QUALITY power cord, and a great pair of speakers.  The DAC will allow for multiple digital inputs, including USB, SPDIF and AES/EBU(XLR).  There will also of course be line-inputs for phono and other analog sources, but the principle will be to simplify, integrate and provide the shortest signal path with the absolute purest and most musical sound possible.

Aesthetics will be EXEPTIONAL and WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) will be very high. Not to mention the lack of cabling and multiple boxes will please the wife also.  In its simplest form, the integrated amp could be fed digital from a central music server and you have at your fingertips, a library of potentially an unlimited library of music!

Thanks for all of your feedback and I will certainly contact beta testers when complete - and not JUST in the U.S.!

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.
www.modwright.com

Just reading over this again and this seems like it will be an outstanding product.  I think many audiophiles would love to simplify their systems with a good looking piece (WAF) that is a one box solution.  It out to go over really well.  Of course the sonics have to be outstanding in order for one to make that jump.  Good luck on the project Dan.

spike

« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2011, 09:49 pm »
For even higher sound quality, will there be an option for class-A operation (as opposed to class-AB) at the output stage?

Spike

adhesiv

« Reply #27 on: 30 Mar 2011, 12:09 am »
Hi Dan,

This sounds exactly like what i'm looking for. I'm right in the middle of a significant upgrade looking at a full swap out of my system (minus cables for now). Any idea on when you'll have another milestone update for us?

I've been considering VAC PHI 200, NAD Master Series M2, and LSA Signature. I've always been intrigued by your work having had one of your previous truth modded sources in my rig but have been clamoring for an integrated unit for a few years now.

Please keep me informed when this is ready for action...i think you may have just put my impulse of buying something now off until i see how this bad boy comes together. While I'm sure you have plenty of volunteers, i'm also happy to assist in any early listening trials out here in Southern California.

Keep up the great work and giant slaying... :D :D :D

modwright

« Reply #28 on: 30 Mar 2011, 06:43 pm »
Thanks, we are still working on it and I will share information as it becomes available.  The scope has changed a couple of times.  At this point, it may be an all SS integrated and will be at an attractive price-point.

It WILL have digital display(s) and it will be 175W-200W/CH into 8 ohms.

More as soon as it becomes available...

Thanks!

Dan

groovybassist

« Reply #29 on: 30 Mar 2011, 08:44 pm »
I'm digging the idea of an "attractive price point" Modwright integrated.  I love/lust after the expensive stuff, but usually end up buying more mid-priced gear, so this is great news from my standpoint.

funkmonkey

« Reply #30 on: 31 Mar 2011, 05:43 am »
Hey Dan, thanks for the update.  I also like the idea of a more affordable piece, but just hope that it would have enough ass to drive my HT3's!  Keep us posted as it develops.
Cheers

modwright

« Reply #31 on: 1 Apr 2011, 12:49 am »
Thanks for the candid reply.  It WILL have power!  It seems that most modestly priced integrated amps don't provide much power.  My goal is to provide a HIGH POWER integrated that produces great sound AND at a reasonable price-point.

More as things develop!

Dan

jobyts

« Reply #32 on: 2 Apr 2011, 01:14 am »
Dan,

For a better sound quality, would you recommend

1. MAC mini -> OPPO BDP-95 Mod -> MW Integrated -> Daedalus 2.1 AP, or
2. MAC mini -> MW Integrated with DAC option -> Daedalus 2.1 AP

thanks,

modwright

« Reply #33 on: 3 Apr 2011, 10:00 pm »
I would say that the integrated with DAC option would be the best solution.  It will offer the highest level of integration and the shortest signal path.

I can't say when the integrated will be going to market, but it WILL be this year.

Thanks,

Dan

jobyts

« Reply #34 on: 19 Apr 2011, 06:42 pm »
Dan,

Please keep enough vacant real estate for any future expansion. What if tomorrow you plan to put a mac mini itself inside the integrated as an add-on card? (seriously, could that be an option in far future, a mod MAC mini that fits inside the integrated?, or an add-on card that combines the audio essential parts of the macmini+MW dac?)

Is USB3 a future option for the high end audio? I would be happy if you could put few empty interface ports on the backplane for future expansion. A typical buyer of an integrated amp will not be happy to change the whole thing along with the fast changing digital end.

modwright

« Reply #35 on: 20 Apr 2011, 04:45 pm »
Hi, the design will include room for expansion to include AT least a DAC and I will also look at the possibility of at least a SS MM phono card.

I will NOT be putting an entire computer or any kind of computer processing board inside the unit however, as I do not feel that computers should be INSIDE of audio gear. Computers are GREAT music servers for quality outboard DACs however!

The DAC upgrade that I am planning WILL have USB input - that is a given.  I am giving thought to offering as much modularity as possible in our digital board designs, due to the rapid changing pace of digital audio.

Thanks,

Dan W.

jobyts

« Reply #36 on: 12 May 2011, 09:03 pm »
Dan,

Any milestone update on the spec for us?

Thanks

jwes

« Reply #37 on: 13 May 2011, 01:45 pm »
It will actually be a new unit all together, but the design, while intended initially to sound like a LS 100 and KWA 100 together is more likely to sound like a LS 100 and KWA 150SE!

Thanks,

Dan

Is this level of performance still the plan or do you have to back off to lower the price?  Would love it as stated above and would help me sell off other gear with confidence that it's being replaced with high end sound...

Jim

modwright

« Reply #38 on: 15 May 2011, 07:12 pm »
The design that we are pursuing at this point, will be at the $4.5K-$5K price-point and we will later pursue a higher-end unit at 2x that price point.  The current economy and state of the market (demand) dictates that this price-point is the right move for us at this time.

I have not anticipated release date for the new integrated yet.  I will release information on our website when we get there.

Thanks,

Dan

jwes

« Reply #39 on: 29 May 2011, 08:12 pm »
Understand.  The 3 relatively expensive boxes that this would replace does free up some funds but it's also good to have a choice of upgrading from a base model and assessing the value of the higher price point. 

On the other hand a 100/150SE combo is it's own kind of no-brainer.  :thumb: