Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Servingthemusic.com

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1720 on: 24 Apr 2016, 03:12 am »
How are you playing back music?

Via Ethernet/DLNA, with Linn Kazzoo on an iPad as a control point.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1721 on: 24 Apr 2016, 04:50 am »
Via Ethernet/DLNA, with Linn Kazzoo on an iPad as a control point.

Only playback via MPD outputs simultaneously through all outputs.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1722 on: 24 Apr 2016, 02:22 pm »
Only playback via MPD outputs simultaneously through all outputs.

Ah ok, that explains it.....it dawned on me that might be the case...thanks Chris!

Marius

« Reply #1723 on: 2 May 2016, 01:57 pm »
HI Chris,

In the BOT thread , i posted about the External BD reader, hooked-up via a USB Hub, which seemed to work fine.
After rebooting my BDP1 though, it starts updating databases, (while automatic settings is disabled) and it has a lot of them apparently, currently showing :

Updating DB (#6)...
And Mediaplayer is somewhat confused...

Could the USB hub be the culprit? It has 7 ports, 2 of those have a device (BD and USB Hdd). I have it connected to one of the front ports. Backports are filled, with 2 WD passports.
Is there a specific order in which the DB's are numbered?

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1724 on: 3 May 2016, 11:52 am »
all drives were nicely updated after a short while. very nice result for now.

only thing left: my bdp reports it hasn't got an internet connection , and thus the cd backup portion won't work as it should, identifying cds.
i am able to check for updates though, which confirms the fact it should have internet...

this couldn't have to do with the usb hub, or dvd drive Chris?
how to test which issue arises? I've got a valid ip address, my router/switches are working fine, and the updating process works. Why would the BDP say it has no connection?

Thanks,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1725 on: 4 May 2016, 12:12 pm »
Hi Chris,

Internet connection seems restored. Suppose it was too much for the BDP to do all together. rebuild databases, read from cd, check updates, and check for cd's on the internet..
Still the error message was confusing, not to say incorrect, maybe you can check what went on.

Something else: i stumbled upon the hidden .tidal folder. I don't use tidal, so maybe MM made it when installing. I'd like to take it out on the drive it now resides on. I don't like system files on my music-drives, who knows what can go wrong..

For the same reason i don't want the cd backup to backup on my music-drives, and will select a special one for that purpose. Maybe take the USB hub to its limits and hookup a dedicated drive for backing up. Or maybe a bigger thumb drive, which takes less power. CD-Backup settings makes this easy. (or edit the .set files, weven simpler)

Can we also take out .tidal, and place it elsewhere? I didnt find an option to do so in the Tidal settings, nor in the user .set files on the BDP.

Cheers and thanks,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1726 on: 4 May 2016, 02:40 pm »
Hi Chris,

Internet connection seems restored. Suppose it was too much for the BDP to do all together. rebuild databases, read from cd, check updates, and check for cd's on the internet..
Still the error message was confusing, not to say incorrect, maybe you can check what went on.

Something else: i stumbled upon the hidden .tidal folder. I don't use tidal, so maybe MM made it when installing. I'd like to take it out on the drive it now resides on. I don't like system files on my music-drives, who knows what can go wrong..

For the same reason i don't want the cd backup to backup on my music-drives, and will select a special one for that purpose. Maybe take the USB hub to its limits and hookup a dedicated drive for backing up. Or maybe a bigger thumb drive, which takes less power. CD-Backup settings makes this easy. (or edit the .set files, weven simpler)

Can we also take out .tidal, and place it elsewhere? I didnt find an option to do so in the Tidal settings, nor in the user .set files on the BDP.

Cheers and thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Tidal folder is only generated when the Tidal app is opened

Marius

« Reply #1727 on: 4 May 2016, 02:45 pm »
Hi Marius,

Tidal folder is only generated when the Tidal app is opened

Ok i understand, but can wet set where it is generated? don't need/want it on my music files hdd's

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1728 on: 4 May 2016, 03:06 pm »

Ok i understand, but can wet set where it is generated? don't need/want it on my music files hdd's

it should be the scratch drive

Marius

« Reply #1729 on: 4 May 2016, 03:16 pm »
it should be the scratch drive

Please be a bit more specific. you think it it set to the current scratch drive, or that i should make a scratch drive, and the .tidal will be set there?
I thought you ditched the scratch drive before, and we don't need it anymore, because of a different way you programmed MM?

Marius

Marius

« Reply #1730 on: 4 May 2016, 03:23 pm »
i noticed i couldn't write to one of my drives, while the others were fine. Had that before, Mac/finder asking for admin permissions. It never accepts my credentials, and most of the time it is because i was copying files to one if the drives.

Unfortunately that wouldn't go today, i still can't write to one of the drives. Because Chris wrote about the Scratch drive in another post, i checked Disk-info in MM, et voila, my Klassiek drive is ro  :scratch:  never set that, but can't find a way to make it rw.

Chris, can we do that in MM, or is it a finder/Mac thing to do. Should i verify or repair?

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1731 on: 4 May 2016, 03:44 pm »

Please be a bit more specific. you think it it set to the current scratch drive, or that i should make a scratch drive, and the .tidal will be set there?
I thought you ditched the scratch drive before, and we don't need it anymore, because of a different way you programmed MM?

Marius

The scratch drive is no longer used for the bryston db, it still has two potential uses, swap file and caching for tidal

Marius

« Reply #1732 on: 4 May 2016, 05:39 pm »
The scratch drive is no longer used for the bryston db, it still has two potential uses, swap file and caching for tidal

Thanks, check. Didn't have it set, so maybe MM found the drive by itself ?
So if i set scratch drive elsewhere, . Tidal will follow suit.
What is the swap file used for ?

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1733 on: 4 May 2016, 06:23 pm »
Thanks, check. Didn't have it set, so maybe MM found the drive by itself ?
So if i set scratch drive elsewhere, . Tidal will follow suit.
What is the swap file used for ?

Marius

Its likely the folder was created at some point in the past

OTM

« Reply #1734 on: 4 May 2016, 10:12 pm »
Can the capability of control/click multiple  tracks to delete or move within a playlist be added to MM?
Thanks
David

Marius

« Reply #1735 on: 10 May 2016, 10:07 am »
Hi Chris,

Could you implement a tooltip when hovering the image files in MM?
It would aid in selecting the best image files and testing which files display best in various formats and resolutions. I find that the best preview of an image in Finder isn't always the best file in MM or vv.

Also, having more files of let's say a booklet, named page 1...page x, could be identified in MM, not only on their view, but also name. It is really cool the MM shows the various images. Please have them display their name when hovered.

As an example, i threw in a set of GoT images I made, probably not the exact size, so MM resizes, but with strange effect. I hope you can also implement a resizing/original size choice.

same file original:

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 10 May 2016, 04:35 pm by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #1736 on: 11 May 2016, 06:00 pm »
Chris,

Did you change the bryston DB's image location yet?
Im in an opportunity right now to test it with a much smaller library, but don't want the image files to be written in my music folders, like before. Though you mentioned you'd write them to the scratch drive again, but cant find a confirmation on the board.
Please let me know?

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1737 on: 11 May 2016, 06:30 pm »
Chris,

Did you change the bryston DB's image location yet?
Im in an opportunity right now to test it with a much smaller library, but don't want the image files to be written in my music folders, like before. Though you mentioned you'd write them to the scratch drive again, but cant find a confirmation on the board.
Please let me know?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

I havn't been in a position to make any changes to the firmware, trying to get all the last minute details for the BDP-Pi sorted, build instructions for manufacturing and software to image the firmware to the sd cards.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #1738 on: 11 May 2016, 06:57 pm »
Hi Marius,

I havn't been in a position to make any changes to the firmware, trying to get all the last minute details for the BDP-Pi sorted, build instructions for manufacturing and software to image the firmware to the sd cards.

Cheers,
Chris

No worries ;-) will you change it? Or did you decide otherwise? In that case I won't wait and go on rebuilding the library ...

Marius

Marius

« Reply #1739 on: 13 May 2016, 06:56 am »

thanks Chris!

Hi Chris,

Could you implement a tooltip when hovering the image files in MM?
It would aid in selecting the best image files and testing which files display best in various formats and resolutions. I find that the best preview of an image in Finder isn't always the best file in MM or vv.

Also, having more files of let's say a booklet, named page 1...page x, could be identified in MM, not only on their view, but also name. It is really cool the MM shows the various images. Please have them display their name when hovered.

Cheers,
Marius