SongBirds over bookshelf speakers?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: SongBirds over bookshelf speakers?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Sep 2015, 08:42 pm »
Thanks for that excellent clarification. Is this specific to the MTM design or does it apply also to the more common TMM design? Or is it less with the less with the latter because the woofers are close to each other?

Right--the effect is less dramatic with an MMT because of the closer spacing.  However, any speaker other than a concentric driver will start to develop a suckout as you go above or below the design axis.  In a WT that has the woofer and tweeter in phase at the crossover point, the suckout will occur at the crossover frequency.  From a standing position, the tweeter will be closer than the woofer, and they will no longer be in phase where they overlap.  That's why it's not ideal to place a WT on its side as a center channel.  The suckout will now occur to the left and right, which means the sound will only be as designed for someone directly in front of the speaker.  Again, this may not be of great practical consequence, but you would be able to measure the change in off-axis response. 
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2015, 12:06 am by DMurphy »

ricardojoa

« Reply #21 on: 7 Sep 2015, 09:19 pm »
The effect of lobbing depends on the vertical off axis as well. The further away from the speaker,the less vertical distance has the effect.
I personally did not find any issue with it with the ST unless the speaker are brought in away from the front wall and closer to the listening position.
In all honesty, i think the ST has better integration than the Sierra 2. I found the sierra 2 has to be listened on tweeter axis to have a good sound, other wise, it seems there is a hole or roll off on the highs.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #22 on: 8 Sep 2015, 12:08 am »
The effect of lobbing depends on the vertical off axis as well. The further away from the speaker,the less vertical distance has the effect.
I personally did not find any issue with it with the ST unless the speaker are brought in away from the front wall and closer to the listening position.
In all honesty, i think the ST has better integration than the Sierra 2. I found the sierra 2 has to be listened on tweeter axis to have a good sound, other wise, it seems there is a hole or roll off on the highs.

Correct--that's why I said the effect wasn't dramatic when at a normal listening distance.  Some people might even prefer the sound you get when standing up.   

Saturn94

« Reply #23 on: 8 Sep 2015, 04:58 pm »
In my experience with HT2-TLs, the effect was quite noticeable at 7-8ft if I stood up.  A bit further back, not so much.

Paul K.

« Reply #24 on: 8 Sep 2015, 05:47 pm »
Realizing that we all have different tastes and desires in our music and how we might listen to it, I just don't understand why so many people are so concerned how it sounds when listening standing up.  Obviously I don't want to have to place my head in a vise in order to hear my music at its best, but I listen to it seriously only when sitting in my recliner 10 feet away (about 12 feet or so if I'm reclined), centered between the speakers.  If I'm not specifically sitting and listening but doing something else, like reading or eating a meal or standing up, as long as the music sounds decent, I'm perfectly satisfied.  Again, to each his own.
Paul

ricardojoa

« Reply #25 on: 8 Sep 2015, 06:02 pm »
In my experience with HT2-TLs, the effect was quite noticeable at 7-8ft if I stood up.  A bit further back, not so much.

It could beca combination of the lobbing and the roll off oh highs you hearing from the ribbon. The small dome in the ST has much better vertical dispersion so the effect if the change in sound is not as obvious.

Saturn94

« Reply #26 on: 9 Sep 2015, 02:36 am »
Realizing that we all have different tastes and desires in our music and how we might listen to it, I just don't understand why so many people are so concerned how it sounds when listening standing up.  Obviously I don't want to have to place my head in a vise in order to hear my music at its best, but I listen to it seriously only when sitting in my recliner 10 feet away (about 12 feet or so if I'm reclined), centered between the speakers.  If I'm not specifically sitting and listening but doing something else, like reading or eating a meal or standing up, as long as the music sounds decent, I'm perfectly satisfied.  Again, to each his own.
Paul

For some reason it bothered me more than I ever guessed it would.  Perhaps if I could have increased the listening distance I wouldn't have paid as much attention to it.

Like you said, to each his own.

Saturn94

« Reply #27 on: 9 Sep 2015, 02:39 am »
It could beca combination of the lobbing and the roll off oh highs you hearing from the ribbon. The small dome in the ST has much better vertical dispersion so the effect if the change in sound is not as obvious.

It would have been interesting to compare to hear how much difference there would be.

Eggiwegs2

« Reply #28 on: 9 Sep 2015, 12:45 pm »
Paul

Yeah, I'm of the same opinion. When I chose to get a pair of Supercharged Songtowers and read that the vertical dispersion in the RAAL is not as good as the regular ST's dome, it didn't bother me in the least, as if I'm not in the sweet spot it's because I just have the music on while I'm playing with my 22-month old or it's on for a party, and in these cases I don't notice the loss in vertical dispersion because I'm not paying that much attention anyway.
But again, this could be important for others.

-Eamon

billmcc

« Reply #29 on: 9 Sep 2015, 02:23 pm »
Paul

Paul,

I agree with your thoughts posted above. I didn't notice any obvious SQ issues when standing with my STs with dome tweeters. I have a fairly small room and sit about 7'-8' away dead center between the speakers. I have a recliner as well and when it's time for serious listening I like to be comfortable :). There was a discussion in a thread over at the Steve Hoffman forum about how chairs with high backs can adversely effect SQ. I just didn't notice it but some do. I'm all about comfort when listening to music :).

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/any-recommendations-for-quality-listening-chairs.338728/page-5

Bill

Paul K.

« Reply #30 on: 9 Sep 2015, 05:30 pm »
I often wonder about what some people claim to hear.  I don't know whether to envy them or to pity them because I don't hear the same things, good or bad.  Well, at least my life is less complicated when it comes to listening to music.
Paul

Paul,

I agree with your thoughts posted above. I didn't notice any obvious SQ issues when standing with my STs with dome tweeters. I have a fairly small room and sit about 7'-8' away dead center between the speakers. I have a recliner as well and when it's time for serious listening I like to be comfortable :). There was a discussion in a thread over at the Steve Hoffman forum about how chairs with high backs can adversely effect SQ. I just didn't notice it but some do. I'm all about comfort when listening to music :).

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/any-recommendations-for-quality-listening-chairs.338728/page-5

Bill