Before I rip into my cd player, a little advice please

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
My barely used Music Hall 25.2 cd player worked fine the last time it played six months ago. Today, when I powered it up and put in a disc, it told me NO DISC. I tried several other discs with the same result.

Any hints to tell me where to look before I dig into this?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Before I rip into my cd player, a little advice please
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2015, 08:35 pm »
Do you live in a humid/cold area? Maybe lens are humid.
Let the player power on 24 hours to evaporate moisture.
Also happen CDs the disc itself become wet, in this case
clean discs with Isopropyl Alcohol+10%water.

100% isopropyl is too strong.
Dont use isopropyl in SHM-CDs.
Dont use isopropyl at laser lens, they are plastic.
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2015, 10:20 pm by FullRangeMan »

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2015, 09:28 pm »
As you state that you "powered it on" then that means you leave it off usually....which is good, because I've read that some disc players keep the laser on even when a disc isn't being played. This would shorten laser life big time.

Other than moisture, the only thing I can think of is dust. Maybe get a can of air and blow into the disc drawer a little bit?

Also, try unplugging it for awhile. If it has sat in standby mode, perhaps the player's just needs to be "cleared."

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2015, 02:19 am »
Thanks guys, I had to dig and see what I could see. The motor would not spin the disc. I tried wiggling the internal cable connectors to see if one of them might have lost contact somehow. After I did that, the motor spun right up, so problem solved.  :thumb: and whew!

Thanks again.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2015, 02:27 am »
I tried wiggling the internal cable connectors to see if one of them might have lost contact somehow. After I did that, the motor spun right up, so problem solved.  :thumb: and whew!

Well that's good news, but if the cables and connectors are removable types with female socket plugs and pin headers (vs circuit board connectors that clamp down directly on unterminated ribbon cables), I would be inclined to unplug and replug them several times to wipe and burnish the contacts.

Steve

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2015, 10:28 pm »
Thanks Steve, that was, in fact, what I did. I appreciate your suggesting it, tho. I would have hated to lose the player as it has been modified and sounds great to my ears. Plus, it's paid for. That's the best kind of equipment.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2015, 11:41 pm »
I'm so glad for you! Can I get you to wiggle some stuff in my Bel Canto CD1?  :lol:  No, it just needs serviced  :(