New MMG setup. :)

terry parr

Re: New MMG setup. :)
« Reply #20 on: 26 Sep 2015, 06:31 pm »
anyone who doesn't own or have spent considerable time with a pair of mmg's are probably laughing by now at this point in the thread. 

"look.  somebody just suggested hinge door stops." 

but, seriously.  i mark where the legs of my main listening chair are, and i mark exactly where the speakers are before moving anything in there before i vacuum the room." 

i spent too much time getting the chair and speakers placed "just right" and i don't want to repeat that process everytime i clean the room.

it's to the point where, when i have somebody over for a listen, i'll give them the center chair to listen to, and i'll sit off to the side so that they get the main benefit of what the speakers sound like.  (and i've had a couple of people say:  "oh, it don't matter, i can sit in that one over there.")

well, yes, it does matter.  here.  sit in this chair.     

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #21 on: 28 Sep 2015, 09:32 pm »
So true. :)  I'm amazed how few "civilians" are even aware there's anything going on between the speakers.

Mark - I like the door stop idea but I don't think I'd have a way to mount them to properly given the relation of the speakers to the walls. I'm going to take a look at them in Home Depot, though, see how intrusive they'd be. May just go with a length of chain attached to wall and speaker cut just right. :)

ajzepp

« Reply #22 on: 30 Sep 2015, 02:54 am »
Very clever, Jack  :thumb:

sfdoddsy

« Reply #23 on: 30 Sep 2015, 03:03 am »
With the speakers off the floor like that, do you lose the highs when you slump in your listening chair?

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #24 on: 30 Sep 2015, 07:11 pm »
Not at all, really. Even slumped I'm well within the vertical limits of the transducers. Seem pretty forgiving in the vertical axis until you actually get above (or, presumably, below) them - at which point the highs roll off dramatically.

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #25 on: 30 Sep 2015, 07:12 pm »
Very clever, Jack  :thumb:

Thank you!

sfdoddsy

« Reply #26 on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:51 pm »
Not at all, really. Even slumped I'm well within the vertical limits of the transducers. Seem pretty forgiving in the vertical axis until you actually get above (or, presumably, below) them - at which point the highs roll off dramatically.

Unfortunately, this is the difference I get when sitting upright and at my usually slumped (or more precisely flopped) position with my MC1s. They are raised 15 inches off the floor.

It is pretty audible.

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #27 on: 9 Oct 2015, 03:56 pm »
I see. I can't run REW sweeps on this system as my PC is downstairs and currently my only laptop is a Chromebook.  If I can I will, though. It's possible I've spent too much time in front of Marshall stacks for it to matter. :)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #28 on: 9 Oct 2015, 10:19 pm »
God Bless Jim Marshall.

Time to put on a Cream album.

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #29 on: 10 Oct 2015, 11:23 am »
JCM 800 2203 ftw!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #30 on: 10 Oct 2015, 11:30 am »
I'm sorry, did you say something?