SPDIF input, transformer or no transformer?

wilsynet

SPDIF input, transformer or no transformer?
« on: 27 Oct 2015, 08:51 pm »
Regarding the DAC on the LIO, does the SPDIF input have a transformer?

I am thinking of purchasing the Empirical Audio Syncro-Mesh to use with a Sonos Connect and the LIO DAC but do not know if I should have the OTL option or not.

From the Empirical Audio web page: http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/synchro-mesh

OTL option (Output TransformerLess)
This option affects the S/PDIF output only. The OTL option reduces jitter at least 50% [...] by removing the transformer for the S/PDIF output and changing some associated circuitry. If you have a DAC that already has a transformer on the S/PDIF input (galvanically isolated from ground), then this is an attractive option for you. It is unneccesary to have 2 transformers in series and one at the DAC input is more optimal.

wilsynet

Re: SPDIF input, transformer or no transformer?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2015, 09:07 pm »
I am just re-reading the literature on the LIO web site:

"The lower board handles the conversion of the 3 digital inputs to the digital interface bus, re-clocking and jitter reduction (for more natural sound), galvanic isolation (for noise and hum prevention), and linear voltage regulation."

There are DACs which have previously claimed significant re-clocking and jitter reduction, but they didn't do nearly as good of a job as the Empirical Audio products I've had in the past.

How good would you say the clocks, the re-clocking, and the jitter reduction is on the LIO DAC?

Wilson

Vinnie R.

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2015, 12:00 am »
Hi Wilson,

Yes, the coax SPDIF input uses an isolation transformer.

There are DACs which have previously claimed significant re-clocking and jitter reduction, but they didn't do nearly as good of a job as the Empirical Audio products I've had in the past.

How good would you say the clocks, the re-clocking, and the jitter reduction is on the LIO DAC?

I can't say how much the Empirical would help (or not help) the sound because I never used it, but I find that LIO's dac can achieve very good sound even with mediocre transports that have high jitter, as the re-clock circuit does a great job and plays an important role in the sound that we get form the LIO dac, as do the numerous, independent linear regulation stages, low-jitter crystal oscillators, and of course the dual mono d/a chip and analog output stage implementation.  LIO's clocks, re-clock and jitter reduction is VERY good.  A significant improvement over RWA designs of the past.

Ideally, you would be able to try the Empirical (refund policy) see if it makes enough of an improvement to justify its cost to you. 

I hope this helps,

Vinnie

wilsynet

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2015, 06:19 am »
Thank you Vinnie, very much appreciated.