Sneak peek: First consumer one-box multichannel DSD/PCM DAC (and does 12.288Mhz)

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
As many of you know I have been more than dabbling in computer audio multichannel, especially DSD. I wrote the SACD Ripping Guide for Dummies, have over 1100 of my SACDs (and all my DVDA's) ripped to hdd (DSF files for DSD) and wrote a review/primer on a prototype stack of three (3) Mytek stereo-192-DSD DACs and a USB hub doing native DSD 5.1. But of course that solution is a bit kludgy (although wonderful sounding) and requires lots of cables, etc to simply put the thing together.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113946.msg1187909#msg1187909

This is a sneak peek at a new one-box Exasound E28 multichannel asynch USB DAC.  It lists for $3299.  I will write the full formal review for ComputerAudiophile dot com, so come over there in a couple weeks if interested at all in this stuff.

It does all sample rates, from 44k to 384k PCM and DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 (in both standard 44k integer multiples and now 48k integer multiples, all the way up to 12.288Mhz), in stereo or up to 8 channels.  The 48k integer DSD capability is especially good for things like foobar's DSD uspample plugin that can target 24/48k, 24/96k, etc. files.

The pics are an indicator of this wonderful DAC that I am privileged to be the first to review. The prototype is RCA outputs only (mini-XLR is a custom order) it has a remote for volume control (if going direct) and input selection (USB, coax, toslink).

Note: the picture of it playing a 12.288 DSD file is actually a 2 channel one as my test pc for this review is my Atom-based client CAPS server, opposed to my other i7-based Asus Zuma powerhouse) and can't quite handle that ridiculous (theoretical, as no software available yet) 8 channel bandwidth of 12.288Mhz. It shows 8 channel as that is the driver I am using. The next firmware update will show actual channels in use. The other pic is realtime music playing in 5.1.

I have been playing multichannel DSD and PCM (from ripped SACDs and DVD-A's, and a few downloads) all week. JRiver does a great job of handling mutlichannel playback, and my jremote ipad app is all I need to browse the library. JRiver even has a DSP function where I added 10db for the PCM LFE level (the DSD LFE was fine, and the DSP function does not run in DSD anyway...so no need to turn on and off). Channel trims can be done in the ASIO driver console or via your analog multichannel preamp. The only sticking point is channel delays, should your speaker distances not be ITU spec'd. This would require a DSP function in Jriver that would not be in effect for DSD playback (or a user selection to downconvert DSD to PCM...yuck). Luckily in my case I have an ITU equidistant setup.

Stay tuned. I hope this is of some interest here, as hi-end DSD (and PCM) multichannel computer playback is AMAZING!

mgalusha

Way cool and I'm sure they did a lovely job.  :thumb:

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Looks like an awesome piece of gear.  ESPECIALLY at that price point. 

I have been enjoying my Exasound E20 for a while now.  To my ears, the E20 is a very musical DAC.  DSD sounds great but as I have previously stated PCM and RB sound absolutely first rate.

I can only imagine how George's new multichannel DAC sounds.

Oh wait...I only live about 35 minutes from Ted... :thumb:

Regards,

Randy

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Ted, looks awesome!  I look forward to the review.

InfernoSTi

Amazing, Ted, how fast this DSD movement is taking off.  A year ago it was amazing to find a DSD DAC...now it is amazing to find a multi-channel DSD DAC (stereo DSD DACs being the norm now with multiple download sites, etc). 

Congrats on being the first to review...they couldn't have selected a better authority (or nicer guy)!

Best,
John

cab

very nice to see that they are offering xlr outputs. They don't with their current 8 channel product.

Phil A

Looks really nice.  Can't wait for more info

wisnon

It continues to advance...

nickd

Right now, speaker, amplifier & cable manufactures are  :drool:

A lot of wire and gear used in multi chanel rigs. I am looking forward to the next few years in audio if this high quality software becomes more available.

That seems to be quite a nice DAC for the money!

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
My full review is up, on Computer Audiophile's homepage

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/

SlushPuppy

Great review Ted  :thumb:

Deribas

Thanks, ted_b, for your in depth review on Computeraudiophile. Your own setup is rather complex and, as the result, rather flexible. What if one owns a recent Oppo player (103 or 105) capable of DSD  playback from attached USB storage? Can the Oppo be used as a transport for the Exasound e28 DAC? I'm a little doubtful as this DAC does not have HDMI inputs.

If not a transport, would the Oppo 105 with its similar ESS sabre32 internal DAC provide similar functionality via analog outputs to the EXASOUND ? Have you, by chance, compared them head to head in your system?

Thanks for keeping us aware of the ever advancing technology.