Reviews of Cherry Amps

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Reviews of Cherry Amps
« on: 8 May 2010, 06:00 am »
We'd like to know where you'd like to see a review of our Cherry Amps?

TONE Publications, Stereo Times, Positive Feedback Online, Affordable Audio, Stereophile, Sound and Vision, TNT Audio, 10 Audio, 6 moons, or other???

Thanks.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Re: Reviews of Cherry Amps
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2010, 02:26 pm »
Yes!!

:D

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2010, 12:52 pm »
How about starting with Stereo Times, Positive Feedback, and 10 Audio?

watercourse

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2010, 05:07 am »
Affordable Audio if possible.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2010, 04:22 am »
I've heard the Cherry+ driving a set of Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.5 speakers, and thought it was a great pairing. Srajan has positively reviewed the Reference 3.5 speakers for 6moons, and I'd be curious to see what he thought of the pairing.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2010, 09:25 pm »
The current issue is that we only have a few units to circulate, and we have review offers from several online magazines.  If you can say why you think one is preferred over the others, it would help to know why.  Thanks for any insight you can provide.

watercourse

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2010, 09:52 pm »
My $.02: I like ToneAudio's no-nonsense approach and avoidance of flowery language, and the wide variety of components that they have available to match up with equipment under review. I tend to gravitate to their opinions as I have heard units similarly to what they've written (meaning that their subjectiveness is similar to mine), and also because they focus on MUSIC as well as equipment. They also seem to have a large pool of readers for a free mag.
I also like AffordableAudio because they seem to be made up of reviewers like me - working stiffs who want to get the most out of their dough. So I also value their opinions.
Positive Feedback always seem too positive, and 6moons is a bit much at times - but all the choices you've provided have good ears. I'd like a review that provided some measurements (I'm a scientist after all), but then we're probably getting into the for-subscription mags at that point, and unlikely to get a review unless you pay for it.

Agisthos

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2010, 07:57 pm »

I would seriously consider contacting Marty DeWulf at Bound for Sound. BFS is an audio review newsletter that has been around since the 80's. They take no advertising, and do not require you to give the gear up on a permanent loan.
Many small manufacturers got their start by being noticed first in BFS, most recently, LessLoss, ever heard of them?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:18 pm »
I would seriously consider contacting Marty DeWulf at Bound for Sound. BFS is an audio review newsletter that has been around since the 80's. They take no advertising, and do not require you to give the gear up on a permanent loan.
Many small manufacturers got their start by being noticed first in BFS, most recently, LessLoss, ever heard of them?
We are waiting to hear back from BFS at the moment.  Yes, heard of LessLoss.  Really nice power cords!  They also have some great free tracks (96/24) on their website, and a premium D/A.  Thanks for your kind post.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:19 pm »
We are waiting to hear back from BFS at the moment.  Yes, heard of LessLoss.  Really nice power cords!  They also have some great free tracks (96/24) on their website, and a premium D/A.  Thanks for your kind post.
Example free tracks on LessLoss (drums, my favorite!):
http://www.lessloss.com/drums-drums-drums-p-203.html

Barry_NJ

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2010, 12:06 am »
Any updates on the reviews? I'm curious to see how the audio press sees what I feel are great amplifiers.

mfsoa

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2010, 12:19 am »
Barry,

I finally upgraded to a Cherry Plus - Tommy says it's got all the latest - "The best amp I've ever built" says he

And it sounds like it! A significant step up from the Chery JR I owned (sold to a good friend).

Actually a bigger jump in SQ than I had anticipated!

Looking forward to the "official" reviews too!

-Mike

firedog

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:25 pm »
My $.02: I like ToneAudio's no-nonsense approach and avoidance of flowery language, and the wide variety of components that they have available to match up with equipment under review. I tend to gravitate to their opinions as I have heard units similarly to what they've written (meaning that their subjectiveness is similar to mine), and also because they focus on MUSIC as well as equipment. They also seem to have a large pool of readers for a free mag.
I also like AffordableAudio because they seem to be made up of reviewers like me - working stiffs who want to get the most out of their dough. So I also value their opinions.
Positive Feedback always seem too positive, and 6moons is a bit much at times - but all the choices you've provided have good ears. I'd like a review that provided some measurements (I'm a scientist after all), but then we're probably getting into the for-subscription mags at that point, and unlikely to get a review unless you pay for it.

Agree!

watercourse

« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:55 pm »
Mike,
Give us some details! We're dying here.  :lol:
Wilson

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical

Barry_NJ

« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2010, 11:51 pm »
Nice! Looking forward to the full review!

watercourse

« Reply #16 on: 7 Sep 2010, 12:23 am »
One more thought: I've been pretty impressed with Audio Video Revolution lately (AVrev.com). They have a regular newsletter that they send out to subscribers, and although their older power amp reviews are of the type that are very high ticket and the "usual suspects" (Krell, Pass, McIntosh), they seem to be covering some more affordable gear as well these days. Maybe give them a shout, they seem pretty open-minded and I sense a shift in their format.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Cherry jr review in Affordable Audio
« Reply #17 on: 8 Sep 2010, 05:00 am »
Cherry jr review in Affordable Audio:
http://www.affordableaudio.org/aa2010-09.pdf

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Cherry jr review in Affordable Audio
« Reply #18 on: 8 Sep 2010, 07:22 am »
Cherry jr review in Affordable Audio:
http://www.affordableaudio.org/aa2010-09.pdf

Sweet review Tommy, it's a good read which runs true to what I've heard many many times.. It's sure to catch some eyes & ears and well it should.  :thumb:   :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Cherry jr review in Affordable Audio
« Reply #19 on: 8 Sep 2010, 07:54 am »

Sweet review Tommy, it's a good read which runs true to what I've heard many many times.. It's sure to catch some eyes & ears and well it should.  :thumb:   :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Thanks, Robin!