A TV without speakers, smart apps... does such a thing exist?

mcgsxr

mcgsxr quietly slips away to sabotage the 42 plasma in the bedroom to make way to move the 60 up there and buy a PJ for the basement... :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
mcgsxr quietly slips away to sabotage the 42 plasma in the bedroom to make way to move the 60 up there and buy a PJ for the basement... :lol:
You could make an adaptor that goes from 100volts to a male RCA connector, if you catch my drift.  :wink:

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
Just buy a computer monitor.

jpm

Finding a TVs without "smarts" - start by being a cheapskate and you'll likely find the cheapest models are still free of all that stuff most likely to become obsolete in a hurry!

It's not too hard for me as picture quality only has to be "good" to be acceptable - I'm much more attuned to the quality of the sound than the picture to enhance my overall experience.

Also, if you decide to really pursue cheapskatery, you'll find a lot about projectors to fall in love with beyond the purchase price. In winter time the can save you a fair bit on home heating costs, which is why here in AZ mine lives in the basement and gets run on off-peak electricity! At this point, my trusty BenQ W1070 deserves a shout-out in the quality : value ratio.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
I don't think projectors are using 4K yet, based on a radio program I was listening to several days ago.

rif

• Not a cowboy
It's not me being cheap, it's just I'm sick of having stuff jammed down my throat.  Stuff I know I don't want and won't use.  It's just wasteful, and that is distasteful to me. 

I was trying to think of an analogy and here's what I came up with.  You knows those junk mail mailers?  The envelopes that contain hundreds of "coupons"? The ones that go directly from the mailbox to the recycling bin?  Those.  You can't stop them from being delivered, and they provide zero value to most people.  It's a waste of resources.

srb

In winter time the can save you a fair bit on home heating costs, which is why here in AZ mine lives in the basement and gets run on off-peak electricity!

Saving on home heating costs?  Whatever percentage of the projector's total power consumption is converted to heat, electrical resistance heating has generally the highest cost per BTU of all energy sources.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: A TV without speakers, smart apps... does such a thing exist?
« Reply #27 on: 10 Dec 2016, 01:29 am »
Stlrman, nice setup!
Simple is really the best as you know..

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2016, 01:39 am »
Saving on home heating costs?  Whatever percentage of the projector's total power consumption is converted to heat, electrical resistance heating has generally the highest cost per BTU of all energy sources.
I could be wrong.... but I took his comment as tongue in cheek sarcastic humour. Much like when tube amp guys talk about heating the man cave listening room with the monoblocks....

Bob2

« Reply #29 on: 10 Dec 2016, 01:45 am »
" Much like when tube amp guys talk about heating the man cave listening room with the monoblocks...."
I have summer and winter tube amps.. Doesn't everyone?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 10 Dec 2016, 01:47 am »
Oh yea, of course... I've got summer and winter lamps for my projector too.  :wink:

Bob2

« Reply #31 on: 10 Dec 2016, 01:55 am »
" summer and winter lamps for my projector "
Well now who doesn't?
Always figured you as a classy dude...

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 10 Dec 2016, 01:59 am »
Ahhh yes... you're as intelligent as I thought you were.

Bob2

« Reply #33 on: 10 Dec 2016, 02:07 am »
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2016, 04:22 am by Bob2 »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 10 Dec 2016, 01:49 pm »
When we finally found ourselves with an empty nest, I moved our 59" Samsung plasma into a 12 x 9.75 foot bedroom. I'm very happy with the results except for one thing.... the heat generated by the plasma screen. That's why I'm reading this with some interest. What to do about replacing the plasma .... and when to do it. Obviously, the problem is pretty much absent in winter but history says this winter thing is temporary and that another sauna-like western Colorado summer is coming.

All this preface brings me to my two concerns about front projection. First off is the heat from the projector's bulb, and second is the cost of replacement bulbs. So how often does one replace bulbs? Our plasma, outside of football season, shows only one movie most days. That said, I suppose right now the Samsung is on about 25 hours/week max. and in summer it would be under 20 hours.

I have read that LED projectors exist now with low heat and extremely long bulb life. The problem with those is extreme cost. That would seem to be the way to go if I can hold out until costs eventually come down to my level. I'm retired and my wife wants to be. Since we live in the U.S. during very uncertain times, I am feeling a need to be very frugal and strategic in my purchases at this point. Can anyone suggest wise procedure given what I've said?

Bob2

« Reply #35 on: 10 Dec 2016, 02:50 pm »
The uhp type bulbs used in many projectors will add some heat. A small room with insufficient air flow will warm up. Led projector would certainly be better heat wise. Price, well there is that...

Had a plasma in my room and it added a significant amount of heat. Replaced it with an led.
Almost no heat given off. It's a 4K set so picture quality is good but it is different than plasma.

Given the dimensions of your room a flat panel tv would work well. 65 inch would be my choice.