New X-Otica coming soon.

Danny Richie

Re: New X-Otica coming soon.
« Reply #40 on: 1 Dec 2015, 01:27 am »
  Danny looking good again. What is the frequency response ? how low do they go [ -3db] ? Thanks.

charles

-3db can be in the 80Hz range in a lot of rooms.

I still like mine using my pre outs with the high pass filter. They make the lower end roll off a little smoother and the servo subs cross right at 100Hz. I am getting really good integration.

Danny Richie

« Reply #41 on: 1 Dec 2015, 01:31 am »
Here are some in room measurements.

Note that all speakers no matter how flat they are across the top end will be rolled off in an in room response and especially so in this well treated room. Also note that there are always peaks and dips across the lower end. This is actually pretty exceptional.

Here is the right channel speaker.

And here is the left speaker.

Remember the lines are in 5db increments. This is very smooth for an in room response.

Danny Richie

« Reply #42 on: 1 Dec 2015, 01:34 am »
Looks like a significant bump in the presence region (6-8K). That may prove out to be a difficult amp to speaker match up, don't you think? That is a very sensitive part of the hearing, and being tipped up there may be tough to overcome...

See any peaks in that area now? See room responses posted above.

Keep in mind that we hear not just the on axis response but a combination of on and off axis responses. This is why I spend so much time looking at the off axis responses.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 1 Dec 2015, 03:42 pm »
Nope! That looks pretty damn fantastic....

Captainhemo

« Reply #44 on: 1 Dec 2015, 04:14 pm »
Nope! That looks pretty damn fantastic....

Ditto !  Necely done   guys

jay

Jon L

« Reply #45 on: 1 Dec 2015, 05:40 pm »
And these are very easy to drive. I am driving them with some 8 watt chip amps even.

Hmm, how would they do with 8 watt SET (say 300B) or 5 watt SE pentode EL84?

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 1 Dec 2015, 05:45 pm »
Hmm, how would they do with 8 watt SET (say 300B) or 5 watt SE pentode EL84?

Tube amps will love the impedance load. And the 94db sensitivity means you won't need a lot of power.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #47 on: 1 Dec 2015, 06:00 pm »
  Ooh ooh ooh OB subs and these together with SET what a wonderful world. Thanks Danny. Ya got me thinking again you bad boy.  :wink:  My Pipedreams don't like you right now :lol:

charles

Captainhemo

« Reply #48 on: 1 Dec 2015, 08:47 pm »
Tube amps will love the impedance load. And the 94db sensitivity means you won't need a lot of power.

but, you're taling about the NX-Otica aren't you ?  these would seem to be more like 87-88 db/w  with the Peerless tweeter

Ooh ooh ooh OB subs and these together with SET what a wonderful world. Thanks Danny. Ya got me thinking again you bad boy
That's why we've decided to cut some H-frame flat packs as well  :thumb:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138009.40   (post 54)

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #49 on: 1 Dec 2015, 09:14 pm »
but, you're taling about the NX-Otica aren't you ?  these would seem to be more like 87-88 db/w  with the Peerless tweeter

Jay,

The Peerless tweeter is rated at 94db sensitivity, but is actually more into the 96db range in practice. So yes, the the X-Otica really does hit 94db sensitivity.

And the T26SG tweeter is one of the best dome tweeters on the market. And I have used just about every top level tweeter out there. This one is a favorite of mine for its high sensitivity and low Fs. The low Fs is achieved by its large open pole piece and well damped rear chamber. Quality control is also very high. They are super consistent. It sounds great too.

Captainhemo

« Reply #50 on: 1 Dec 2015, 09:22 pm »
Sorry Danny, I'm  reading the response / graphs wrong i guess 

Danny Richie

« Reply #51 on: 1 Dec 2015, 09:31 pm »
Sorry Danny, I'm  reading the response / graphs wrong i guess

Oh, those are in room responses you are looking at. Those are made from about 12 feet away and not necessarily with a 1 watt input.

See the actual speaker measurements on a previous page.

Danny Richie

« Reply #52 on: 1 Dec 2015, 09:34 pm »
Okay fellows I have added up all the parts cost. All totaled the kit price comes to only $1,195.

This might be one of the best values in kits that I have ever offered.

This also need additional woofers capable of playing up to 100Hz. I recommend four SW-12-08FR woofers in an H frame design powered by the A370PEQ amps. So you are looking at $1,514 in low frequency woofers and amps.

gab

« Reply #53 on: 1 Dec 2015, 10:17 pm »
Okay fellows I have added up all the parts cost. All totaled the kit price comes to only $1,195.

This also need additional woofers capable of playing up to 100Hz. I recommend four SW-12-08FR woofers in an H frame design powered by the A370PEQ amps. So you are looking at $1,514 in low frequency woofers and amps.

Danny - Better value than the V2 was?

At $2709 without cabinets (unless the $1195 also includes the flat packs for the cabinets), it is more than the Super-V and LS-6 kits were right?

Must really sound fantastic!

gab

Captainhemo

« Reply #54 on: 1 Dec 2015, 10:24 pm »
Oh, those are in room responses you are looking at. Those are made from about 12 feet away and not necessarily with a 1 watt input.

See the actual speaker measurements on a previous page.

LOL,  :duh: 

Danny Richie

« Reply #55 on: 1 Dec 2015, 10:24 pm »
Danny - Better value than the V2 was?

At $2709 without cabinets (unless the $1195 also includes the flat packs for the cabinets), it is more than the Super-V and LS-6 kits were right?

Must really sound fantastic!

gab

Yeah, but they sound better than all of those in various ways too.

They have the bass response of the Super-V but with much smoother and better sounding upper section. They are a LOT more accurate too.

The LS-6's have an advantage in the use of all of those Neo drivers. But the LS-6 doesn't have the open and transparent vocals of these or the open baffle bass.

ctviggen

« Reply #56 on: 1 Dec 2015, 11:52 pm »

Where do you put the amps?  Would you be running two sets of cables, one for the bass and one for the upper section?  How do you go about matching the bass section with the upper section using that amp? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 2 Dec 2015, 12:18 am »
Where do you put the amps?  Would you be running two sets of cables, one for the bass and one for the upper section?  How do you go about matching the bass section with the upper section using that amp?

If your pre-amp has two sets of outputs then you run one set to your main amp and one set to the servo amps.

If your pre-amp has one set of outputs then you can use one of these to split the signal and filter the lows from the main amp with a simple inline cap as a high pass filter.

And you can turn the level (volume) control on the servo amp to match the output levels.

NeilT

« Reply #58 on: 2 Dec 2015, 01:50 am »
The Neo 3 is a favorite tweeter of mine. In an open baffle it is a completely different tweeter. But with the rear cup it is only marginally better then the T26SG in several areas. The Neo is better, but not by a lot. It is easy to live with either.

In all other areas the new X-Otica kills it. It is in a completely different league.

Thanks Danny, very interesting...., maybe wait for a Neo replacement to upgrade??

NeilT

« Reply #59 on: 2 Dec 2015, 01:54 am »
As a matter of fact

Just hadn't gotten there yet! And some legs too.

I'd like to try some wire frame grills and new veneering techniques. So I'm thinking baffle will be veneered and box painted, but unsure what color.

Peter, that looks great, wouldn't change a thing.