Open Baffle GR Research Subs For Sale

Captainhemo

Re: Open Baffle GR Research Subs For Sale
« Reply #20 on: 7 May 2015, 02:07 am »
ahh, yeah if you go that way (16 in a sealed box) ,  but aren't the  4/8 ohm versins   different from the   16 (OB)  vesion ?  I thouht it wasn't recommended  to  use the 8/4 ohm version in an  OB config  :scratch:
time to make a  trip to the  Rythmik site .....

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #21 on: 7 May 2015, 02:08 pm »
Hi Jay,

Nope. You can run the SW-8-16FR sealed in .7 cubic feet of air space.

Ruben

Have you tried this yet?  I was thinking about doing something small like this... for the bedroom.  :wink:

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #22 on: 7 May 2015, 02:47 pm »
Have you tried this yet?  I was thinking about doing something small like this... for the bedroom.  :wink:

Hey Rob,

Not that particular setup, but I'm in the process of building a pair of dual 8" sealed subs using the HX580 amps. (300WRMS x 2)

Here's a clip of a dual 8" system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU7S_vWYZMQ Check out the comments. He prefers the dual 8" sealed setup over the SVS PB-13 Ultra. :thumb:  http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb13-ultra

Best,

Ruben

bdp24

« Reply #23 on: 8 May 2015, 06:10 am »
ahh, yeah if you go that way (16 in a sealed box) ,  but aren't the  4/8 ohm versins   different from the   16 (OB)  vesion ?  I thouht it wasn't recommended  to  use the 8/4 ohm version in an  OB config  :scratch:
time to make a  trip to the  Rythmik site .....
The 8 and 16 ohm GR woofers were designed and optimized for OB use (hence the "FR" in their model designations), but can be put in a sealed box if the box is big enough (as Ruben said) to fool the drivers into thinking they're in an Infinite Baffle. The converse, however, is NOT true. The 4 ohm woofer cannot be used as an OB or IB driver, only as a sealed or ported one.

Captainhemo

« Reply #24 on: 8 May 2015, 02:45 pm »
The 8 and 16 ohm GR woofers were designed and optimized for OB use (hence the "FR" in their model designations), but can be put in a sealed box if the box is big enough (as Ruben said) to fool the drivers into thinking they're in an Infinite Baffle. The converse, however, is NOT true. The 4 ohm woofer cannot be used as an OB or IB driver, only as a sealed or ported one.

Yeah, kind of what I was getting at.   
I don't think there is a GR version of the  8"  8 ohm  (no SW8 -08FR yet)  and for guys   thinking of starting with the single sealed units,  I don't think the  SW08 16FR would be  ideal.
They could go with the Rythmik 8" 8 ohm  (DS800-6) but then again, when  they make the switch  to OB,  they  don't have a driver optimized  for that use

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 8 May 2015, 03:02 pm »
You never realize how bloated in-room bass is until you go OB and you get rid of most of it.  The GR drivers are nice because they give you that punch and impact that most other OB drivers do not.  So, best of both worlds!

celebrat

« Reply #26 on: 8 May 2015, 07:31 pm »
So it says these are for sale. How much are they? I am thinking 2 or 3 drivers per side OB. Feel free to PM the pricing. Thanks

Fred

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 8 May 2015, 08:59 pm »
Yeah, kind of what I was getting at.   
I don't think there is a GR version of the  8"  8 ohm  (no SW8 -08FR yet)  and for guys   thinking of starting with the single sealed units,  I don't think the  SW08 16FR would be  ideal.
They could go with the Rythmik 8" 8 ohm  (DS800-6) but then again, when  they make the switch  to OB,  they  don't have a driver optimized  for that use

jay

Hi Jay,

Ideal for a permanent/typical sealed system? No. However, dlParker's inquiry was regarding an OB system. I suggested the option of going sealed with a pair SW-8-16FR drivers as a temporary setup which would provide him a base servo setup that he could expand upon as an OB system as he was prepared to do so. The sealed vs. OB configuration would have more presence/impact.

Best,

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 8 May 2015, 09:00 pm »
So it says these are for sale. How much are they? I am thinking 2 or 3 drivers per side OB. Feel free to PM the pricing. Thanks

Fred

Hello, Fred.

Just sent you a PM.

Thanks,

Ruben

Captainhemo

« Reply #29 on: 9 May 2015, 12:47 am »
Hi Jay,

Ideal for a permanent/typical sealed system? No. However, dlParker's inquiry was regarding an OB system. I suggested the option of going sealed with a pair SW-8-16FR drivers as a temporary setup which would provide him a base servo setup that he could expand upon as an OB system as he was prepared to do so. The sealed vs. OB configuration would have more presence/impact.

Best,

Ruben

Hey Ruben
Sorry man,  with all the talk I thought you were talking about  him starting with a single  sealed  8 in which case  he'd have probably been using the  Ds800 6 which wouldn't have been  the best for converting to OB later.
Like you say, if he's doing a dual 8" sealed,  going with the   GR SW08 16FR would be the right path for upgrading to OB down the road.
yeah I know, you alrady  know  this!  I'll shut up now   :lol:

jay

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 9 May 2015, 02:44 am »
Hey Ruben
Sorry man,  with all the talk I thought you were talking about  him starting with a single  sealed  8 in which case  he'd have probably been using the  Ds800 6 which wouldn't have been  the best for converting to OB later.
Like you say, if he's doing a dual 8" sealed,  going with the   GR SW08 16FR would be the right path for upgrading to OB down the road.
yeah I know, you alrady  know  this!  I'll shut up now   :lol:

jay

No worries, Jay! :D

I'm glad you brought it up as it caused me to explain my suggestion a bit more thoroughly.

The pair of dual sealed subs I'm working on use the DS800-6 ohm drivers.

Ruben