OB Servo Sub Vibration?

ACHiPo

OB Servo Sub Vibration?
« on: 1 May 2015, 01:29 pm »
I'm entertaining building a servo OB W sub.  I'm wondering how much vibration there is on the top panel, i.e. can I use it as an end table or will glasses vibrate off?

Early B.

Re: OB Servo Sub Vibration?
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2015, 02:49 pm »
No vibration at all, especially if you build an H-frame flat pack with 1.25" high density fiberboard.

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2015, 03:52 pm »
One thing to remember  if you are  thinking of end table,  there are  nulls at the sides so you'll get  very little output  if say the cabinet is located directly to the side of your seating.

jay

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2015, 05:59 pm »
My sand filled sides and top are very stable.
If I were to build as tables this is the route I would go.

hifters1

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2015, 07:40 pm »
Sorry, not wanting to hijack your thread, but a similar question. Can I build the H-frame sub )haven't decided on 2 or 3 drivers) to lay on its side as a platform for my LS-C center?

Thanks,
Dean

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2015, 07:58 pm »
Sorry, not wanting to hijack your thread, but a similar question. Can I build the H-frame sub )haven't decided on 2 or 3 drivers) to lay on its side as a platform for my LS-C center?

I tried laying my H-frame sub on the side, but it sounds better upright.

ACHiPo

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2015, 11:11 pm »
One thing to remember  if you are  thinking of end table,  there are  nulls at the sides so you'll get  very little output  if say the cabinet is located directly to the side of your seating.

jay
Jay,
That's an interesting point that I need to consider.  My concept is a multi-sub ala Swarm, but the main reasons I'm considering the OB are 1) I could use an end table and with the opposing woofers it seemed like it could be a good design to do double duty, 2) I've heard that having a smallish sub close to the listening area in a Swarm arrangement with a bit higher cut off can improve slam, and 3) Tyler's, et al raves about OB servo subs being fantastic.

Thanks,
AC

bdp24

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2015, 08:02 am »
Jay,
That's an interesting point that I need to consider.  My concept is a multi-sub ala Swarm, but the main reasons I'm considering the OB are 1) I could use an end table and with the opposing woofers it seemed like it could be a good design to do double duty, 2) I've heard that having a smallish sub close to the listening area in a Swarm arrangement with a bit higher cut off can improve slam, and 3) Tyler's, et al raves about OB servo subs being fantastic.

Thanks,
AC
If you lay the H-frame on it's side, do so having the woofers facing towards you. The side of the frame, where the dipole cancellation occurs, will then be facing up. A benefit of laying the frame down on one of it's sides is that the sub's output will be slightly increased from the boundary (the floor) loading/reinforcement of the other side. The same is true of an OB sub placed with one of it's sides right against a side wall. Ideally you want an OB sub firing directly at you, but a conflicting OB requirement is to have it parallel to the side wall.

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2015, 02:06 pm »
Ideally you want an OB sub firing directly at you, but a conflicting OB requirement is to have it parallel to the side wall.

I didn't realize that, I have mine  toed in a bit towards me.  Not  as much as my mains but defineitely note parallel.   One day I'll get energeitic and  stry squaring them up.

AC,  another thing,  if you were to go with a pair of H/W framnes at the fornt of your room, I don't  think you'd find a need to go to a swarm.  As mentined in  another recent  thread,  you  could always add a single sealed 12" servo sub in each rear corner as Danny does at the shows.  I think that would be your  best  "swarm" if yo want to call it that

jay

ACHiPo

« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2015, 02:21 pm »
I didn't realize that, I have mine  toed in a bit towards me.  Not  as much as my mains but defineitely note parallel.   One day I'll get energeitic and  stry squaring them up.

AC,  another thing,  if you were to go with a pair of H/W framnes at the fornt of your room, I don't  think you'd find a need to go to a swarm.  As mentined in  another recent  thread,  you  could always add a single sealed 12" servo sub in each rear corner as Danny does at the shows.  I think that would be your  best  "swarm" if yo want to call it that

jay
Jay,
That's a possibility as well.  Just doing paper exercises until I get the 2-channel rig rearranged.  I like the idea of using a sub for a table--just not sure how practical it is.
AC

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2015, 06:08 pm »
I agree, ideally the OB (or OB's) should go up front and fire toward you.  If nearfield, it should still point toward you.  Worst place for them is in a corner or facing away from you. 

If you do a corner sub, I'd make it a box and only do below 40hz with it.

bdp24

« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2015, 09:22 pm »

jay
Jay, toed in slightly is fine, no big deal.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2015, 04:40 pm »
It's great to have such well educated customers to help one another.  :thumb:

bdp24

« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2015, 06:55 pm »
It's great to have such well-designed, high-performance, high-value products to be a customer of!

ACHiPo

« Reply #14 on: 4 May 2015, 07:41 pm »
I agree, ideally the OB (or OB's) should go up front and fire toward you.  If nearfield, it should still point toward you.  Worst place for them is in a corner or facing away from you. 

If you do a corner sub, I'd make it a box and only do below 40hz with it.
Guess I'm confused (again)...I thought OB subs radiated from the front and back, so how would they face away unless you're perpendicular to the side (ala my end table idea if the speakers face front/back instead of side/side)?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 4 May 2015, 07:49 pm »
Guess I'm confused (again)...I thought OB subs radiated from the front and back, so how would they face away unless you're perpendicular to the side (ala my end table idea if the speakers face front/back instead of side/side)?

That's exactly what I meant - if used as an end table, the drivers should face toward you.

For OB's in the front of the room, some people have made the mistake of trying to make the subs "side firing" like you sometimes see on box speakers.  With box speakers it's fine, with OB bass its a big mistake.

Captainhemo

« Reply #16 on: 4 May 2015, 08:21 pm »
^
Yup, I think if you really want them to be end tables,  you'd be better off doing a sealed sub  (if you need the cabinet bigger / taller,  just build the sub enclosure inside the   "end table", incorportate them
Think you pretty much need to go up front  with the  OB H/W frames.

If you  turned  H/W frame end tables so the drivers were facing you in your listening position,  they'd   just be canceling each other out  as they'd be "shotting"  right at each other and the front / rear of the room  would be in the nulls at the cabinet sides

jay

ACHiPo

« Reply #17 on: 5 May 2015, 04:31 am »
Got it.  Thanks.

Erpeder

« Reply #18 on: 5 May 2015, 07:03 am »
You can build Dannys U-baffel with woffers placed on the two sides and upen in the rear.