Setting up a room using GIK products I was given

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Setting up a room using GIK products I was given
« on: 3 May 2017, 11:00 pm »
I went from having no room treatment to having (9) GIK panels of varying thicknesses. These were pretty much a give from an AC member and audio friend of mine Mike, Thanks Mike :thumb:.

I believe I have 242 and 244 panels but not exactly sure about this, I would like to set these up the best possible way. I will add additional products from GIK down the road including but not limited to bass traps in the corners floor to ceiling and diffusion products since I have GR Research Super V speakers that are OB. Yes, just like danvprod who asked questions on his previous thread.

So, what would be the best way to lay these panels out? I have (4) 2" thick, (5) 4" thick and (2) 6" thick, all 2'x4' panels.

I currently have the (2) 6" at first refection points, the (5) 4" in the corners and in the middle of the front wall and the (4) 2" panels sitting on the floor.

What would be the best layout for these? And, I don't mind moving these around at all.

I give up, I have rotated this every way I know of and it still ends up upside down, sorry...

« Last Edit: 4 May 2017, 05:20 am by gregfisk »

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
Re: Setting up a room using GIK products I was given
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2017, 12:34 am »
Your picture is not showing up.   :oops:

You can also fill out our online form if you would like to work with one of our designers.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/acoustic-advice/

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2017, 05:19 am »
Your picture is not showing up.   :oops:

You can also fill out our online form if you would like to work with one of our designers.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/acoustic-advice/

Wow, that is really odd, I just opened this up and there it was (still upside down), then I read your comment and now it's gone :scratch:

And now, I tried to add it one more time and what do you know!!! it's right side up :lol:

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2017, 09:53 am »
That is strange, I can see the picture now! Any change of getting a picture of the back of the room (behind where you sit)?
Looking at things now I would straddle the 4" panels (the 244s) in the corners and go floor to ceiling. I would also put more panels on the side walls to cover the early reflection points.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/video-early-first-reflection-points/
The 6" panels (Monsters) I would use on the back wall (behind where you sit.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2017, 10:36 am »
Greg,

That's a great listening space. Depending on how far your back wall is from your listening position as well as your rear side walls (again, relative to your listening position), you can play with diffusion as well. That ceiling will definitely affect your sound so appropriate treatments there will be useful.

More pics would be useful! And measurements. I had a nice chat with davnprod the other night...

Room dimensions?

Best,
Anand.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2017, 06:03 pm »
Hi Glen and Anand,

Thanks so much for the info. so far. I do have a picture of the back but after so much frustration trying to get a picture right side up I gave up. I will try again now and see what happens.

Glen, regarding straddling the 244's in the corner and stacking them, which wall do I put them on? The front wall, side wall, both or in the corner? I guess I don't know what you mean by straddle them?

Glen and Anand, the room is 20'w x 30'd x 10'h. The back of the room is a kitchen so no real way to put treatment in there. It is back behind me and the couch about 8' to 10'. As you can see I do have a corner where the bathroom and closet is that is basically to the side and across from the couch, this may be causing some issues, I don't know. Since I won't be putting the 6" panels in the kitchen is first reflection points the best place for them now or somewhere else? Also, these speakers are pretty dead on the sides since they are OB so I didn't put anything in front of the first reflection main spot but I do have room.

Anand, I don't  know how to measure yet and will need to work on that in the near future. I do have a mic for my ipad mini but haven't played with it yet. It's a small one I bought from PE. What to do with the (4) 2" thick panels I have sitting on the floor?

Thanks again,

Greg 

JWL.GIK

• Facilitator
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2017, 06:41 pm »
Any chance of putting those 242s up on the ceiling, at the reflection points? I'm envisioning one on each small angled part of the ceiling, and two in the middle on the flat section. If there are any questions about finding reflection points, use the mirror trick explained here: http://gikacoustics.com/video-early-first-reflection-points/

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2017, 07:40 pm »
I've had the honor and pleasure of visiting Greg's listening room and it wasn't bad without treatments.  Looking forward to hearing it now that it is treated!

Greg has the nicest "doghouse" of any audiophile I've met.

Here's hoping the back surgery goes well today, Greg.  Message or email me when you get recovered enough to do so.  Yeah, I know, you likely won't see this for a week or so.

jimtranr

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2017, 08:25 pm »
"I guess I don't know what you mean by straddle them?"

Here's a photo of a pair of 12"x48" Monsters straddling the left and right rear corners of the main system in my living/dining room. In other words, they're mounted at what amounts to a 45-degree angle

danvprod

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2017, 10:57 pm »
I will echo what others said about your space. It looks very nice! It looks like you have GR Research speakers (I do as well). I think it looks like you have Super 7s?  Very nice that you have space to get all of your gear out from between the speakers, too. That ought to help imaging quite a bit. Since you have your dipole null where the thick panels are likely placed, I would see if you could stack the panels two high straddling the corners (at 45 degree angles, as others have suggested).

That should let them be effective at lower frequencies. Measurements would be helpful. Your room is sort of like mine in a way, with an asymmetrically back wall (albeit you have a fair bit more volume than I have). It would be interesting to take some measurements in your current listening position, and also if you moved the couch a bit closer to the speakers.

Might also be worth experimenting with putting four of the panels behind you couch to make a false wall. Or hanging the panels in some of the bi-corners of the ceiling -- @JWL.GIK's idea.

Linkwitz would caution you about putting too much absorption behind a dipole (on the front wall).

ETA, this is the link I was thinking of http://www.linkwitzlab.com/ALMA'14/Sound_quality.htm, Linkwitz suggestions diffusive up front (behind the open baffles) and then lossy or open behind the listener. I think he would also be OK with bass absorption in the corners. I've also been thinking of adding some electronic bass traps to help with the pressure build up < 100 Hz in my space. I suspect you have much less of an issue in your space with modal build up.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2017, 02:55 pm »
Maybe some GIK 244 traps + some custom GIK angled panels made to fit those angles?  That pocket over the shelves seems like an easy spot as the panels could just sit up there on their sides - plus the panels could be 6".   The area over the door also is in a corner so you could put a nice 6" thick trap there too.