True Detective starring Harrelson and McConaughey

WGH

True Detective starring Harrelson and McConaughey
« on: 20 Feb 2014, 08:36 pm »
True Detective staring Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey is the best drama on TV this season, even beating out my former favorite Justified. The series drips with Southern atmosphere, mystery and grittiness. The story follows a 17-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana centering around two miss-matched detective partners that you would never want to meet in real life. Definitely not for the squeamish but if you like your mysteries hot and sticky sit back and enjoy.
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Wayne 

santacore

Re: True Detective starring Harrelson and McConaughey
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2014, 08:49 pm »
Agreed, excellent series. Impressive performances by both lead actors.

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2014, 08:54 pm »
Getting more into the story now that we have the first clue why McConaughey is half spic-and-span detective and half long haired drunk.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2014, 09:06 pm »
I am all in on this one.  It was a slow start, but by letting the series tick by and then binge watching on my streaming device, I am all caught up and hungry to see where it goes!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2014, 09:50 pm »
Where can you stream it?

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2014, 11:51 pm »
Mashup, Icefilms, 1 Channel etc. 

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2014, 08:00 pm »
Awesome f*cking show. One of the best television series I've seen in a long time. This caliber of work used to be the domain of the best big screen dramas.

One of the best aspects of the show is that there is no graphic violence or photos of graphic violence. None. Even the end confrontation is remarkably restrained.

The writing is *superb*, the acting almost flawless, and the direction is impressively assured.

And unlike a lot of other shows of this genre it lends itself easily to repeat viewing.

I've loved McConnaughey since Dazed and Confused. For a long time I was waiting for him to break out as one of the best actors of his generation. Same with Harrelson. Harrelson is an incredibly gifted actor. Both of these guys faded into small supporting roles and obscure/lesser work for a long time. It's been a real treat to see them both emerge from the background and reclaiming their place as two of the best actors out there.

Especially Harrelson, who I think should be more prominent than he is. That dude has chops.

They should both get Emmys.

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2014, 01:40 am »
I got into True Detective while visiting a friend a little over a month ago. We watched episodes 1-6. Note, I don't watch a lot of TV. I now have HBO. Enough said.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2014, 03:23 am »
Yes, a spectacular show indeed.

dflee

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2014, 12:58 pm »
Been with this one since the first airing and both, my wife and I enjoyed the 1st season.
I Hope it can maintain it's edge and lead actors through the next season.

Don

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2014, 01:08 pm »
+1 on this show, one of the best from HBO.  When does the next season start?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2014, 04:01 pm »
True Detective staring Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey is the best drama on TV this season, even beating out my former favorite Justified. The series drips with Southern atmosphere, mystery and grittiness. The story follows a 17-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana centering around two miss-matched detective partners that you would never want to meet in real life. Definitely not for the squeamish but if you like your mysteries hot and sticky sit back and enjoy.
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Wayne
Well said.  It's a beaut.  MM really makes you believe in the character he plays.  WH, also.  It does something that movies cannot do.  They simply don't have the time and it's a time filled with nuance.  There have been other series. mostly gimmicked ones.  This stands apart.  TV has fully arrived.

ltr317

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2014, 05:42 pm »
Let's not forget creator/writer Nick Pizzolatto and director Cary Fukunaga for putting this terrific series on the screen. 

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2014, 05:41 pm »
I've always liked WH and MM, but just thought they were good actors. This show changed my perspective on these two. Amazing talent displayed, and they completely fit the roles.

My question..... How are they gonna equal this with new cast members? I doubt they can top the first season, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2014, 08:54 pm by paul79 »

asliarun

« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2014, 07:30 pm »
I absolutely loved the mini series. What a refreshing change from everything else.

I only wished that they had given more details about the Carcosa swamp cult. All I got was vague hints and references to what it was, and it could have been handled better. Considering that MM and WH spent their careers and their health trying to track down the cult, it really deserved better definition - what the cult was all about, what the references about "higher plane" was all about, what rituals they practiced, and who the other members were. They could have easily done this with a 5 minute wrap-up commentary in the end.

Or maybe I am just picking nits - I can forgive just about anything in this series considering how good everything else was - acting, premise, locale, script, cinematography.

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2014, 09:17 pm »
Great show!  It's interesting how a series like this can go into so much more detail and character development than a movie or even a series of movies.  The series was so good, I can't wait for the next installment.  I understand they will do more, but not with the same actors or characters.  It was so good, I was sad to see it end...even though the ending was very good.  :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2014, 09:39 pm »
I absolutely loved the mini series. What a refreshing change from everything else.

I only wished that they had given more details about the Carcosa swamp cult. All I got was vague hints and references to what it was, and it could have been handled better. Considering that MM and WH spent their careers and their health trying to track down the cult, it really deserved better definition - what the cult was all about, what the references about "higher plane" was all about, what rituals they practiced, and who the other members were. They could have easily done this with a 5 minute wrap-up commentary in the end.

Or maybe I am just picking nits - I can forgive just about anything in this series considering how good everything else was - acting, premise, locale, script, cinematography.

Hold on, you said you wished they went into much more detail about the cult, then say it could have been easily done in a 5 minute commentary? That'd be a very packed 5 minutes.  :lol:

Actually, I think the whole reason the ending was left open is BECAUSE there's MUCH MORE to the story (ie the other members, their practices, the public organizations they're tied to, etc. etc.). This leaves sooo many avenues for the next season to start with. What I hope happens is that all these individual series / stories / cases converge and in the final series it ALL comes together and you're left sitting there so blown away by the whole thing that you almost can't believe what just happened and can't believe it's the true end.

asliarun

« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr 2014, 08:06 pm »
Hold on, you said you wished they went into much more detail about the cult, then say it could have been easily done in a 5 minute commentary? That'd be a very packed 5 minutes.  :lol:

Actually, I think the whole reason the ending was left open is BECAUSE there's MUCH MORE to the story (ie the other members, their practices, the public organizations they're tied to, etc. etc.). This leaves sooo many avenues for the next season to start with. What I hope happens is that all these individual series / stories / cases converge and in the final series it ALL comes together and you're left sitting there so blown away by the whole thing that you almost can't believe what just happened and can't believe it's the true end.

You're right  :)

I assumed that the next season will be about something else entirely - which is why I felt a wrap-up was needed.
But if not, like you say, then completely agree with you.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 3 Jul 2014, 07:41 pm »
Bought Season 1 on Itunes yesterday and binge watched the fck out of it over the last 24 hours.  Holy crap what a great show!  LOVED the dynamic of the 2 characters and their basic views of a life of pain - Nihilism for Rust (MM) and denial for Marty (WH).  I also loved how a lot of times Marty was the straight man basically to react like "WTF are you talking about?" when Rust gets going.  Overall an incredibly good show, if not "quite" at the level of Hanibal.  I also think next season will be new leads, as Rust says at the end *SPOILER* - "We didn't get all of them", and Marty replies "Yeah, but we go OUR guy".  Great and fitting closure to their story.

jazzcourier

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jul 2014, 08:54 pm »
Make sure you watch the "features" after you complete the episodes.Lots of TLC went into this project from the props to the choice to shoot it on 35 mm film rather than any video medium.That is why it looks so good,and the decision to shoot the drug house rip off in one live shot.Too bad Matt and Woody won't be back to follow this madness,two old Texas buddies with a chance to work together and do something interesting on a one shot deal.Where the second season will go,as of a few months ago it was not even written or cast,but when the money flows things happen fast.All the writer said was he was thinking about some out of the box "California" location.I am watching it for a second time and it is going by way too fast,and the only flaw I can find is that the sexual charisma of the Marty character is a bit unbelievable as those women are a little too young and a little too hot.This IS Hollywood and you got to have some booty.Whew,that is some nice booty.......