Super 3i ordered

Wind Chaser

Re: Super 3i ordered
« Reply #60 on: 29 Dec 2016, 08:31 pm »
Probably the largest jump in performance came from SET amplification in my journey ... amps can really make massive differences... Before the SET amp I was struggling with just getting the basics right and with the SET everything more or less snapped into place.

Well stated, +1 bigly!

Dollar for dollar, a great SET is without peer. Speakers, no matter how good or great they are, can only reveal what an amp delivers. Once you've experienced a great SET, you will understand just how much of an impediment most amplifiers are, regardless of price.

OzarkTom

« Reply #61 on: 29 Dec 2016, 09:26 pm »
I am excited on the new Omega speakers that Steve Deckart is excited about for less than 3k. Steve has been trying to mimic his Acoustst DD servo Monitor speakers for over 20 years. Those Acoustats were SOTA 40 years ago and still so today. Steve now says these new Omegas will do it. I am sure Steve is being honest about it.

For those that have never heard those Acoustats, you are in for a treat. Add a Decware UFO amp or Wolf Ear Audio Kitoki amp and for about 4K, you will have Fantastic sound. Add Dave's cables, and for about 5k, you can get off of the audio merry go round forever.

The only way to improve on this would be to add Jim Vaughnns plasma tweeters. vTL president bought a pair of Jims plasmas at RMAF this year. Going the Omega route is less money, and you do not have to go all at once.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #62 on: 29 Dec 2016, 09:54 pm »
That would be a great way to go, and fwiw I do recommend spending on interconnect cables before speaker cables. There's potential to lose a lot of fine detail with ICs that you can never get back...

Probably the largest jump in performance came from SET amplification in my journey, mostly because the T-amp was so bad, but amps can really make massive differences, even moreso with teh older hemp drivers... Before the SET amp I was struggling with just getting the basics right and with the SET everything more or less snapped into place.

Ditto, the SET was a game changer for me too 7+ years ago.

jMelvin

« Reply #63 on: 31 Dec 2016, 04:42 pm »
Speaking of dipping my toes in, Amazon delivered an APPJ PA0901A yesterday. (The price is so low I can't seem to help myself.) New speakers, Derek's Fleawatt creation, and now this miniature marvel .. I haven't had this much fun with gear in a long time. Happy New Year.

jMelvin

« Reply #64 on: 12 Jan 2017, 02:01 pm »
Back to cables .. after much reading/research and contemplation I decided to go the DIY route. I've made cables in the past but it's been a while. I will be using .999 pure solid silver and my inspiration for this project came from Clear Day Cables. Hopefully they will be finished this weekend. Thanks to everyone for helping me out.

jMelvin

« Reply #65 on: 28 Jan 2017, 11:59 am »
A quick update .. after many hours listening to my Super 3i's and feeling confident they are fully broken in, I must say these loudspeakers are everything I hoped for and more. I am one happy customer. Louis is a genius.

As for my cable project, I couldn't be happier with the results. If anyone cares to know more you can find a short blog entry here:

https://melvinsfoolishthings.blog/2017/03/20/loudspeaker-cables/
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2017, 10:45 am by jMelvin »

Louis O

« Reply #66 on: 4 Feb 2017, 03:33 pm »
Hi jMelvin,

Great to hear and many thanks for your kind words. I'm very happy you're enjoying them. Thanks for posting about your cables. They look great and a great value too at under $200 especially for silver. Very well done.

Thanks again,
Louis