Super 3i ordered

jMelvin

Re: Super 3i ordered
« Reply #20 on: 22 Dec 2016, 01:58 am »
These are finished in the EKO Ash Tweed:

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2016, 02:42 am »
Cool, and on some iso blocks. The grille's are a nice shape.

roscoe65

« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2016, 10:52 pm »
What are they sitting on?  Other speakers?

jMelvin

« Reply #23 on: 23 Dec 2016, 01:42 am »
The Omega's are on IsoAcoustic Aperta Stands and my subwoofers. Not exactly an ideal situation but it sure sounds great. The Aperta's do an impressive job and I'm not feeling the need right now for a traditional stand. They only needed a slight tilt up and I have them toed in ever so slightly right now. Holographic is the word that comes to mind.

roscoe65

« Reply #24 on: 23 Dec 2016, 02:56 am »
I use Isoacoustics stands under almost all my speakers.  I don't have the Apertas, mostly because they don't match the size I need and are unecessarily more expensive than the normal series.  I use oversized ones under my Altec 614 cabinets and the Large size under a pair of Omegas and another under a pair of GR Research speakers.  I think they are the best stand going right now.  I've found that choosing a speaker stand that is about 5-6" less than needed and then adding an Isoacoustics stand is the ideal setup.

jMelvin

« Reply #25 on: 23 Dec 2016, 03:41 am »
I've had the stands for a couple of months now and I'm a believer. The Aperta's were perfect for my needs but I wouldn't hesitate to use any of their products. They work.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 23 Dec 2016, 05:17 pm »
I'm using 4 Iso sub stands under 2 15" woofer cabs and the difference vs them sitting on the floor is amazing. Sound is much better and it also reduces house resonances from windows, light fixtures, etc.

Louis O

« Reply #27 on: 24 Dec 2016, 02:17 pm »
Hi jMelvin,

Many thanks for posting the great pictures and I agree with the IsoAcoustic stands. Price /performance is way off the chart good.

Thanks again,
Louis

jMelvin

« Reply #28 on: 24 Dec 2016, 05:08 pm »
Hi Louis,

Loving the speakers .. they are everything I hoped for (including fit and finish). The pictures don't do them justice unfortunately. Peace.

jMelvin

« Reply #29 on: 27 Dec 2016, 03:02 pm »
Hey guys .. anyone care to recommend speaker cables? Keep in mind these are for a $2,500 system and not a $25,000 system. I looked at Clear Day Single Run ($135 for an 8' pair) but was told they were only good for super high efficiency speakers (98db and higher). Their Shotgun cables are more appropriate for the Omega's but are double the price. Tempting, but I really wanted to spend less. Under $200 would be nice. Thanks in advance.

I'm really enjoying the hell out of these speakers! They are opening up very nicely.

roscoe65

« Reply #30 on: 27 Dec 2016, 03:08 pm »
My recommendation would be to use the same cable Louis used to wire your speakers:  the Supra Classic 2.5.  https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-wire/supra-classic-2.5-speaker-wire-per-foot-13-awg/

It's $1.68/foot, and you won't need to terminate it if you don want to.  An 8-foot pair should cost you less than $50 including shipping.

If you really want to terminate it, I would investigate using something very light, such as Danny's Tube Connectors or ETI/Eichman plugs.  Frankly, I would do bare wire unless you are changing cables with some frequency.

mrvco

« Reply #31 on: 27 Dec 2016, 05:00 pm »
I've had good results from the Level 3 speaker wire from AntiCables without feeling like I overspent.  They don't seem to get in the way or color the sound and let a bit more power through which resulted in a decibel boost over my DIY cables.  They are solid core, which makes installation a bit more tedious (make sure those binding posts are tight) than for typical floppy cables, but once they're set, they aren't going anywhere.

http://anticables.com/speaker-wires/2-channel#!/Level-3-Reference-Series-Speaker-Wires/p/14644527/category=3449817

jMelvin

« Reply #32 on: 27 Dec 2016, 06:18 pm »
How about the Kimber 4PR?

mick wolfe

« Reply #33 on: 27 Dec 2016, 07:33 pm »
My recommendation would be to use the same cable Louis used to wire your speakers:  the Supra Classic 2.5.  https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-wire/supra-classic-2.5-speaker-wire-per-foot-13-awg/

It's $1.68/foot, and you won't need to terminate it if you don want to.  An 8-foot pair should cost you less than $50 including shipping.

If you really want to terminate it, I would investigate using something very light, such as Danny's Tube Connectors or ETI/Eichman plugs.  Frankly, I would do bare wire unless you are changing cables with some frequency.

I couldn't agree more on the Supra 2.5. Great synergy with the Omega's. Not sure it wouldn't give the Supra Ply 3.4 a good run at roughly 1/3 the cost. Adds a nice touch of warmth/weight. Roscoe is also spot on with termination. I kept mine simple and solderless with Nak bananas.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 27 Dec 2016, 11:49 pm »
The Nak banana plugs are great - I've used them alot.  Another great option is the QED Profile 79 strand wire with their cold welded bananas or spades.  When using an amp with top speaker terminals like a Decware I like to use spades at the amp end (for a more tidy look) and bananas at the speakers.

roscoe65

« Reply #35 on: 28 Dec 2016, 01:35 am »
How about the Kimber 4PR?

I've had 4PR in the past and it is a good entry level cable.  Unfortunately, the price isn't truly entry level and I've found other options that cost much less and sound better.

roscoe65

« Reply #36 on: 28 Dec 2016, 01:49 am »
The Nak banana plugs are great - I've used them alot.  Another great option is the QED Profile 79 strand wire with their cold welded bananas or spades.  When using an amp with top speaker terminals like a Decware I like to use spades at the amp end (for a more tidy look) and bananas at the speakers.

Supra makes great banana plugs as well.  They can be configured inline or at 90 degrees.  The run about $100 for four pair, enough for one set of cables.  Of course, it rubs me the wrong way to spend twice as much on connectors as the cable itself, especially when the connector may actually degrade the cable performance.

In the case of the Supra cable, the conductors are tin-plated copper and won't suffer from exposure to air like unplated copper or silver cables. If I were using cable that required sealing (such as Neotech braid) I would want a connector with a gas-tight connection, sealed with solder.

gnostalgick

« Reply #37 on: 28 Dec 2016, 01:56 am »
Has anyone heard the Supra Quadrax?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 28 Dec 2016, 07:57 am »
Supra makes great banana plugs as well.  They can be configured inline or at 90 degrees.  The run about $100 for four pair, enough for one set of cables.  Of course, it rubs me the wrong way to spend twice as much on connectors as the cable itself, especially when the connector may actually degrade the cable performance.

In the case of the Supra cable, the conductors are tin-plated copper and won't suffer from exposure to air like unplated copper or silver cables. If I were using cable that required sealing (such as Neotech braid) I would want a connector with a gas-tight connection, sealed with solder.

The whole idea behind cold welding is to keep oxygen out and to not have the conductor possibly compromised by the heat of soldering.
To my knowledge QED has been in the business of performance cabling longer than anyone else so I think they should know what they are doing.  The proof is in the pudding - they sound great.  If spending more on the cable than on the ends makes one happy, then great, have at it.  Multi thousand dollar speakers are put with the little Zen amp because they work together, ditto the 79 Strand wire and the ends that cost more than the wire.

The reason I love Decware, Omega, and Wolf Ear is the insane value for dollar.  QED falls into the same category.

roscoe65

« Reply #39 on: 28 Dec 2016, 01:06 pm »
If I'm not mistaken the QED cable is unplated stranded copper.  It would stand to reason that in this case we would need termination.