Super 3i ordered

jMelvin

Super 3i ordered
« on: 15 Nov 2016, 05:28 pm »
Hey guys .. placed my order with Louis this morning and while I have a few weeks to wait, I can't wait! This is not only my first Omega loudspeaker, it's also my 1st single-driver type. I've been reading about the Omega's for years and I think the 3i will be a nice Christmas present  :D

Right away they will be paired with my Response Audio RAM 301 Signature ss/tube hybrid I purchased from Bill Baker many moons ago. Perhaps a Decware Zen or a Glow amp will be in my future. Please feel free to recommend other amps (although there seems to be a "amp" thread already).

BTW I decided on the EKO Ash Tweed.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Re: Super 3i ordered
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2016, 08:26 pm »
You are in for quite the experience. I was just sitting there listening to me 3XRS's last night with the biggest smile on my face. And I am powering them with the Decware SE 84UFO. Perfect combo. Have fun. By the way, that EKO Ash Tweed is nice. When I have Louis build me my next speakers I am going with the EKO Graphite Tweed. 

mrvco

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2016, 09:54 pm »
That Response Audio integrated should be a nice way to get started with your new Omegas.  It's hard to believe that I've only had my Omegas for just under a year and a half.  It has been and continues to be an absolutely amazing experience.

syzygy

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2016, 10:25 pm »
Great move. My desktop 3s are happily paired with a restored Scott 222c.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2016, 10:36 pm »
Congrats, that speaker is probably the best value in audio today.  :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2016, 11:10 pm »
Congrats, that speaker is probably the best value in audio today.  :thumb:

+1

jMelvin

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2016, 11:52 pm »
Thanks guys!

For the time being I will wait & see (hear) how the RAM 301 does with the Super 3i's although I'm very tempted to order the Decware amp. While speaking with Louis he thought the little RAM 301 should sound great paired with his speakers.

@HiFiJeff .. the EKO Tweeds look so interesting and different. It was a toss up between the graphite and ash. I like both. I bet they look fantastic in person.

@mrvco .. you are one of the few on the CA Forum with Omegas. I've always been a wee bit jealous of your system.

milford3

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2016, 01:17 am »
Melvin, you will love the single driver sound.  I own the Hoyt Bedford type 1's and have never looked back.  The imaging is insane with Omega's.  Enjoy.

FireGuy

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2016, 01:34 am »
Louis makes a very special driver with the RS5.   I find my Super 5's to be organic sounding, slightly forward this side of neutral.    Exceptional imaging and staging (not too forward or recessed).   Single driver, high sensitivity speakers when done right are sonic nirvana.   Enjoy.

jMelvin

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2016, 11:43 am »
Well, I couldn't help myself and purchased a Fleawatt creation from Derek. I'll have a couple of low wattage amps to try with the Super 3i's when they arrive. I must learn to restrain myself. Nice Christmas presents to myself :D

jMelvin

« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2016, 12:32 am »
My Fleawatt amp arrived today (photos by Derek):

jMelvin

« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2016, 11:46 pm »
My speakers arrived today! They're hooked up and music is filling my living room. How long of a break-in time should I expect?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2016, 03:54 am »
Congratulations jMelvin.  The Super 3i is a great speaker and it needs at least 100 hours break-in playing music with a good amount of bass and percussion at medium volume.  :thumb:

jMelvin

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2016, 11:59 am »
Thanks Canada Rob. 100 hrs huh? I must say right out of the box the sound quality is quite good and it was easy to hear some of those qualities often associated with the Omega's (speed, imaging). There were even a few spooky moments last night when it sounded as though the singer and musicians were in the room. I'm impressed to say the least and excited to really hear what these are capable of.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2016, 04:23 pm »
Congrats and Enjoy!  :thumb:

They'll "open up" and you'll get a bit more bass as they break in. 

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2016, 08:31 pm »
Thanks Canada Rob. 100 hrs huh? I must say right out of the box the sound quality is quite good and it was easy to hear some of those qualities often associated with the Omega's (speed, imaging). There were even a few spooky moments last night when it sounded as though the singer and musicians were in the room. I'm impressed to say the least and excited to really hear what these are capable of.

The TPA3116 is IME a great little amp with your speakers and I like it a lot, but a good SET like a UFO, UFO2, UFO3, or Kitoki will likely take the Super 3i several notches up in every area of the frequency spectrum.

I am basing my experience on a TPA3116 red board which I built, and a D2 from Fleawatt, both with switching power supply.

mrvco

« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2016, 01:32 am »
I bought one of the Fleawatts and it is crazy good for the money, good enough that from a SQ perspective it was a match for my (now sold) Class D integrated that cost me 6x more than the Fleawatt.

jMelvin

« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2016, 11:31 am »
It's very likely I will go down the set amp path sometime in the future but for now I'm just going to enjoy my new gear. The Fleawatt is remarkable and continues to surprise me with the sound quality (I can't help but wonder what kind of voodoo magic Derek uses). BTW, the amps I've managed to hold on to over the years include a PS Audio Trio A-100 and matching P-200 preamp, a tricked out Odyssey Cyclops Extreme, and the Response Audio RAM 301. It's a good time to be an audiophile!

jMelvin

« Reply #18 on: 22 Dec 2016, 01:27 am »
The speakers are starting to sound really good. Listening to this right now:

Folsom

« Reply #19 on: 22 Dec 2016, 01:35 am »
Show them to us! New speakers is very exciting.