Hypex Ncore NC400 Professional Build Service, On Time or Free Build

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Hypex Ncore NC400 Professional Build Service, On Time or Free Build
Seven Images At Link Above (saving bandwidth here), click on images to enlarge

Buyer selects amp from three options, purchases necessary parts from only two vendors (Hypex in The Netherlands and SiliconRay in HongKong), and instructs vendors to ship parts to builder James Romeyn in Utah. 

Fee to thoroughly inspect parts immediately upon arrival (promptly return parts and/or file damage claim), build amp, play music through Dynaudio Esotec 2-way (clone of French ASA Pro Monitor with many refinements), safely pack in new double carton, and ship insured worldwide is $155 for three models currently offered (3-ch amp higher cost if/when offered).  Builder fully refunds $155 Build Fee if he does not ship amp within two days after all proper parts arrive.   

Currently three Hypex Ncore NC400 amplifiers offered (prices from last build July 2013).  Estimated prices total "Out The Door" including Build Fee, add only shipping/insurance:

• Stereo powered by SMPS1200A400, 200/400/600W @ 8/4/2 Ohms (safe to 1 Ohm) estimate $1482.70/each
  • Mono blocs powered by SMPS600, 200/400/600W @ 8/4/2 Ohms (safe to 1 Ohm) estimate $1862.84/pair
  • Bridged mono blocs powered by SMPS1200A400, 400/800/1200W @ 8/4/2 Ohms (safe to 1 Ohm) estimate $2939.40/pair
Recent shipping/insurance examples: pair mono blocs to California $35, pair mono blocs to Australia $129

3-Ch planned but not available, estimate $2092.17/each. 

We regularly ship worldwide with commercial discounted 3rd party USPS account, charging only our exact billed amount.  No claims shipping our guitar/violin seasoning device to far points of the globe since November 2010.   

Upon request builder purchases parts for buyer.  No extra charge for CONUS Cashier's Check,  CONUS Money Order, or Direct Deposit.  Add 3% for Paypal deposit.  Workmanship warranted for five years, transferable.

Soon coming:

Mains power cable, Stan Warren recipe, Quad-twist 12AWG THHN House Wire 19-strand copper, Marinco IEC 15A, Marinco plug Hospital Grade 15A plug or plug to match any receptacle world wide.

Interconnects Canare Star Quad (or Stan Warren recipe only for short runs and only in low RFI application), balanced or Hypex recommended quasi-balanced for unbalanced source, ($150/pr + shipping 8' either Canare Star Quad or Stan Warren recipe).

4AWG speaker cable with parallel 30AWG to minimize self-inductance, termination either tinned (preferred) or buyer's choice, super flexible, soft texture rubberized jacket (dark brown), ultra fine copper strands.  In direct A-B provided audibly better performance in high current application (86 dB, 2.7 Ohm minimum).  The 4AWG cable is marketed for automotive audio high-current DC power applications.         
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2013, 03:13 am by James Romeyn »

firedog

I see the case you recommend has room for 2X NCore 400 Amp + 2X SMPS 600.

Is there any sonic advantage going dual mono? I understand it is more expensive.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
I see the case you recommend has room for 2X NCore 400 Amp + 2X SMPS 600.

Is there any sonic advantage going dual mono? I understand it is more expensive.

Howdy firedog,
That is a great question! 

Siliconray chassis RE2507-NC (precut for Ncore) allows either one SMPS1200A400 (1200W) or two SMPS400 (400W each/800W/pair).   

In most applications the former's 50% greater current capacity outweighs the latter's advantage of separate supplies with 1/3rd less current potential. 

But...the less is power required the greater is the advantage of separate power supplies with lower total current capacity.  A more concrete way to say this is that within it's power envelope, the dual 400W supply (800W total) provides more channel separation and other potential unknown an unknowable advantage (requires testing to confirm). 

Readers can judge for themselves issues of price, value, and flexibility.  One system today benefiting by one amp may benefit more with the other amp with one change in the system (possibly even changes in your hearing from age, or change in music you enjoy). 

I'll add this note.  I have rare Ncore experience driving two loads identical except for impedance and sensitivity.  With moderately difficult load my personal experience with Ncore 600W mono blocs is as follows: the more difficult the load the more critical is speaker cable resistance.  (Which is why I want to offer special ultra-low resistance cable later.)  This comes full circle back to your question.

Dual mono 400W supplies make perfect sense.  But IMO dual mono 600W is flawed Ncore architecture.  Why?  600W supply provides maximum current for NC400.  But true mono blocs provide the shortest possible speaker cables with lowest series resistance.  A stereo dual mono amp requires much longer speaker cables with commensurately higher series resistance, which my experience tells me audibly degrades performance on a speaker load of 86 dB and 2.7 Ohm minimum impedance (which BTW was active high pass crossed @ 80 Hz...likely the difference would have been even greater full range).   

IOW, if one has two 600W supplies, ignore the "dual mono" stereo chassis and build true mono blocs.  The sum total extra cost is one each: chassis, IEC receptacle, and mains power cable.       

Brucemck

What would be the benefits of the Bridged Mono Block configuration powered by SMPS1200A400?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
What would be the benefits of the Bridged Mono Block configuration powered by SMPS1200A400?

More power, or twice to be exact:
Stereo or regular mono block 200/400/600W @ 8/4/2 Ohms, rated safe to 1 Ohm
Bridged mono block 400/600/1200W @ 8/4/2 Ohms, rated safe to 1 Ohm